Spike760

Dir en grey

I was thinking the exact same thing about The Deeper Vileness related to the Feast of V Sense performance - that performance and song truly rocked.

I do think The Inferno is low tier based on the list presented, as tracks like Decayed Crow execute chaos much better.

My personal least favorites are when they try to execute sludge metal songs, like the 罪と規制 [Tsumi to Kisei] remake off the Different Sense single, or The Blossoming Beelzebub off DSS.  I just can't get into the pace or atmosphere - I get bored.

oh yeah, i forgot to add Pink Killer to the low-tier tracks category, goddamn that song blows lmao

oh yeah, i forgot to add Pink Killer to the low-tier tracks category, goddamn that song blows lmao

I wonder what they have thought when they've decided to bury everything and let Shinya take over with his TACKTACKTACKTACKTACKTACKTACK...

Totally seconding Furik too - I still don't get the hate surrounding THE DEEPER VILENESS either (okay, lyrics are a bit of here and there but we have seen worse, right?). One of the most prominent and memorable drumlines by courtesy of Shinya in some parts (especially chorus + outro).

'The Inferno' is definitely their worst song right there - sure, less is more but in this case it doesn't compute: they have far better "hell-bent" songs with bouncy riffage. This, on the other hand, literally has nothing you could memorize or pinpoint - instant throwaway.

Judging @Stallion really hard right now 

25496d1439672727-whats-up-mage-cleric-re

> you skipped Kaishun

> KAISHUN?!

> Chain Repulsion

> BUZZKILL!

Decayed Crow is muuuch better live (especially when you've experienced it personally), Jesus Christ R'n'R is one of their most fun songs along with Machiavellism (you guys ain't fun, huh), Beautiful Dirt was "funny" (positively or negatively? Be the judge) and S is still one of their most annoying songs (Tonberry-era elitist like me won't give up :( ).

Let's make this harder: what are Dir's best songs in your opinion? Enough with silly Batsu-ian "this song baaad you sucker" debates :P

P.S.S: how do you guys feel about Arche being stuck up with "nu metal"-tag almost everywhere? (incl. certain semi-prominent Japanese web meccas of metal)

(is anti-nu metal bias still alive?)

I come down pretty hard on songs from the Withering/Marrow eras because it was when DEG was dabbling in heavier material but not fully committing, so a lot of songs sounded awkward and amateurish (especially since this was when Kyo insisted on singing in English and all he could do was shout "DICK MEN" and "FUCK YOU FUCKING BULLSHIT!"

I HATE that twangy, flange-y part in Decayed Crow, and the whole thing sounds like a parody of deathcore than an actual, serious song. Props for the melodic part towards the end, but when I saw it live only Kaoru played that part and he totally screwed it up hitting almost all the wrong notes.

As for best songs, off the top of my head I would say Yurameki, Macabre, Kiri to Mayu, Toguro, Kaishun, Sajou no Uta, Different Sense, Undecided, Umbrella, and Kodou (pulling from each album).

Withering to Death is their worst song to date imho. Cheesy western radio appeal mixed with screaming while having your mouth stuffed with hot tomatoes.

I come down pretty hard on songs from the Withering/Marrow eras because it was when DEG was dabbling in heavier material but not fully committing, so a lot of songs sounded awkward and amateurish (especially since this was when Kyo insisted on singing in English and all he could do was shout "DICK MEN" and "FUCK YOU FUCKING BULLSHIT!"

Really? I always thought he was saying RRRWAA RRWAAHWAAH RWWAAHHH, which is according to kareki of the deepest and most thoughtful kind Kyo has ever said.

Best song ever:

Rinkaku.

Its everything Dir en grey is boss at doing in one song.

Anything else after is just favs from specific albums.

Yes, I know. I am persistent with this song.

Its that amazing.

Pretty sure the best song Dir en grey has released is 虜.

Expecting it to become a setlist staple very soon.

If they start playing this then I'll listen to Decayed Crow for 24 hours straight.

I am still on the fence about my favs but either way, since folks like emmny are more into um, live/look/member-specific details:

tumblr_nq4i9gOhf51s3sleno1_1280.png

TFW no one ever said about Kyo randomly slobbering/sucking random fan's hand during one of sukekiyo's lives (people at first even thought he was going to give a BJ a la GG Allin style, kek)

I HATE that twangy, flange-y part in Decayed Crow, and the whole thing sounds like a parody of deathcore than an actual, serious song. Props for the melodic part towards the end, but when I saw it live only Kaoru played that part and he totally screwed it up hitting almost all the wrong notes.

oh my god thats the fav part when the drums are going berserk but that lil twangy psychedelic sounding part is playing in the back its my SHIIIIIIIT. I can agree on jesus christ RNR thats fucking annoying, but a lot of the songs of kisou are equally annoying and go nowhere. i only like the inferno for the headbang value, it still sounds like a bootleg decayed crow.

i've always wanted to list my favs lets do this!! (no particular order i rated them cuz im a fucking nerd duh)

1. different sense

2. audience killer loop

3. lotus

4. zakuro

5. revelation of mankind

6. diabolos

7. vinushka

8. itoshisa wa fuhai ni tsuki

9. ware, yami tote...

10. dozing green

11. rinkaku

12. undecided

13. saku

14. uroko

15. vanitas

16. yurameki

17. glass skin

18. kasumi

19. the pledge

20. toguro

21. obscure

22. zan (original)

23. the blossoming beezlebub

24. kodoku ni shisu, yue ni kodoku

25. red soil

26. drain away

27. karasu (original + remake)

28. phenomenon

29. amber

30. macabre

31. hotarubi

32. mushi

:( going through my last fm to see these tracks made me happy, no matter how much i roast DEG, i'll always think they're fucking amazing.

PPS: Pretzy KNOWS *100 emoji*. DEG (and their fans) take themselves too seriously so i love to comment on their looks and make shit a lil more superficial hehe

Proposed new topic of discussion, original vs. remake, would be interesting to see which versions people prefer.

For example, my list, the preferred version is bolded. Counting only studio remakes and not acoustic versions etc.

業 (1997) - 業 (2013)

Ash (1997 behind the mask ver.) - Ash (1997 kaede ver.) - Ash (2000)

秒「」深 (1997) - 秒「」深 (2002)

霧と繭 (1997) - 霧と繭 (2012)

Unknown...Despair...a Lost (1998) - Unknown.Despair.Lost (2013)

残-ZAN- (1999) - 残 (2009)

密と唾 (1999) - 密と唾 (2011)

Hydra (2000) - HYDRA -666- (2007)

羅刹国 (2000) - 羅刹国 (2011)

children (2000) - children (2002)

MACABRE -揚羽ノ羽ノ夢ハ蛹- (2000) - MACABRE (2013)

鴉-karasu- (2002) - 鴉 (2013)

Bottom of the death valley (2002) - Bottom of the death valley (2013)

undecided (2002) - undecided (2008)

OBSCURE (2003) - OBSCURE (2011)

かすみ (2003) - かすみ (2013)

THE FINAL (2004) - THE FINAL (2013)

CLEVER SLEAZOID (2005) - CLEVER SLEAZOID (2007)

Before compiling this list I thought I was more sceptical towards their remakes than I actually am, turns out that I prefer the remake in 9 cases out of 17. THE FINAL is a draw because I really don't care for either version anymore.

Hageshisa has two versions too. The single version has a different riff in the part after the chorus and the mix is completely different.

I'm probably the only person that prefers the 2011 version of Tsumi to Batsu. I also love both versions of Kiri to Mayu equally. My favorite thing is picking out how they reworked the old riffs into new ones.

I wish they had just rerecorded Obsucre at a faster tempo instead of changing it. Because while I like the speed at which they play the new version, I prefer the old arrangement.

Hydra (2000) - HYDRA -666- (2007)
鴉-karasu- (2002) - 鴉 (2013)
Bottom of the death valley (2002) - Bottom of the death valley (2013)
OBSCURE (2003) - OBSCURE (2011)

I don't feel too strongly about the others, but completely agreeing with these ones!

I don't exactly hate Jesus Christ R'nR, but I don't actively hit it as the first song when I want to play their discography on random. I just don't listen to it as often when compared to the entire Withering to death album.

@WhirlingBlack: I think they've rerecorded "Garden" too (notice tempo differences between PV version and Missa version). You forgot Ryojoku No Ame's both versions too (the most obvious difference is Kyo's random falsetto climax in the single version)

but

Unknown...Despair...a Lost (1998) - Unknown.Despair.Lost (2013)
密と唾 (1999) - 密と唾 (2011)
children (2000) - children (2002)
鴉-karasu- (2002) - 鴉 (2013)
Bottom of the death valley (2002) - Bottom of the death valley (2013)
undecided (2002) - undecided (2008)
OBSCURE (2003) - OBSCURE (2011)
かすみ (2003) - かすみ (2013)
CLEVER SLEAZOID (2005) - CLEVER SLEAZOID (2007)

Agreeing with these ! 

PS. I really hope I could get my hands on THE FATAL BELIEVER's 2006 demo version again (from FVT btw)...just to hear how different it was from the album version :V

Undecided has always been my favorite DEG song. I wish the unplugged version was good but it just so rough to listen to. It's not good.

Okay guys. New here. I just gotta get this off my chest.

I felt super guilty for a while that I missed the release of Arche, but having listened to it online, again, and again, and again, 

I do not feel guilty anymore. 

Aahhh, thank you for reading. Please carry on with the more interesting topic of old vs new versions.

Can we just pretend that The Unraveling didn't exist, due to the majority of the remakes on there?

Besides Macabre, Karasu, and Karma (VERY IFFY, LIVE), that EP really isn't that good. 

They are tolerable live, though. I did groove out to Bottom of Death Valley, The Unraveling, and Unknown when they played em in Boston.

Hageshisa has two versions too. The single version has a different riff in the part after the chorus and the mix is completely different.

The single version was the BEST one. Dir en grey needs to stop messing with the single versions of songs when it comes to albums. They always sound watered down. 

the best songs for me are:

Diabolos and Dozing Green (these ones are my personal favorites overall), Rinkaku, Macabre (new ver.), Amber, Akuro no oka, Fukai and Unknown...despair...a lost (yep, the first ver.)

I see no love for The Pledge... I don't like it that much but I think it's one of the best songs from the MOAB album
What do you guys think about The Pledge?