Spike760

Dir en grey

15 minutes ago, Egnirys cimredopyh said:

So what are your favorite songs from the new album, guys?

Mine so far are: aka, followers and keigaku no yoku

Those three + Zetsuentai 

Keibetsu, Devote, Ranunculus and from the remakes Wake.

In general, I really like the direction they went with this album, since my musical background isn't vk anyway.

And since I have no ear for music, I don't understand any of the complaints from others here. I appreciate the roughness of the songs, the screams and growls and even the rap. No clue what it means when you say the album sounds flat or whatever. :D

Also, I think Zetsuentai's length is enough, there's no need for a VINUSHKA on each album.

There are some parts that I don't like (like the first few "Fist" in Rubbish Heap, why do they sound so Mickey Mouse-ish?), but overall, it's a good album.

It's probably the nostalgia that makes me like ARCHE more, though.

Edited by Seelentau

As of right now

Celebrate Empty Howls

Rubbish Heap 

Aka

Followers

Keigaku no Yoku

Zetsuentai

I like Zetsuentai, but I don’t think the 7 minutes are justified. Probably could have been 5 minutes or just over 6. 

I don't know which is my favorite yet because I've only had 3 full listens; but the one thing I can say is Values of Madness is my absolute least favorite on this album -- without question. I hate that hard rock inspired main riff, and it's so stale it sounds like something the GazettE would do.

For all this talk about Rubbish Heap being the obvious GazettE-inspired song, nah, it's Values of Madness. That's the same kind of pop-infused garbage that bothered me about NINTH.

18 minutes ago, geist said:

I don't know which is my favorite yet because I've only had 3 full listens; but the one thing I can say is Values of Madness is my absolute least favorite on this album -- without question. I hate that hard rock inspired main riff, and it's so stale it sounds like something the GazettE would do.

For all this talk about Rubbish Heap being the obvious GazettE-inspired song, nah, it's Values of Madness. That's the same kind of pop-infused garbage that bothered me about NINTH.

This is correct. 

The solo in Followers is also very Gazette. 

Is there somekind of rivalry going on between Dir en grey and The Gazette? I know nothing about VK, but I see a lot of comparisions and feud-like commentaries about them. Seems like the 'Metallica VS Megadeth' of the VK scene. Is it possible Rubish Heap was somekind of parody to The Gazette? I'm really clueless about this enmity. Honestly, I like both bands, but comparing them is like comparing Slipknot to Maudlin of the Well (The Gazette would be Slipknot, obviously).

8 hours ago, Egnirys cimredopyh said:

Everything from 'Aka' to 'Ranunculus', except for 'Values of Madness'. The second half of the album has the kind of sound I wanted the band to pursue after Arche. 'Aka' would be the ideal: I'd love hearing an album full of songs like it or 'Rinkaku'. A dreamy atmosphere, almost nostalgic, goth rock arpeggios, post-metal/shoegaze-esque chords, sludgy riffing, soaring solos and of course, Kyo's high vocals.

In terms of favourite, 'Zetsuentai' is my definitive choice: I love this kind of songs, and I would also love the band to make an album full of long, progressive dirges like 'Vinushka' or 'Diabolos'. They may be predictable (eerie intro, arpeggios, melodic chorus, build up, death metal/core drumming and riffin, etc.), but I really love them. 

In fact, I know this is kind of early and pointless, but... What would you like to see on future albums? I would honestly love a double album: CD 1 could be agressive, weird and catchy, while CD 2 could be more experimental and progressive. Just a tought.

9 hours ago, Egnirys cimredopyh said:

For me it's Celebrate Empty Howls, Rubbish Heap, Followers, Keigaku no yoku. I actually really like the rapping part in Values of Madness but the rest of the song falls a little short IMO.

Gazette and DEG are just the most popular heavy vk bands, so thats why they are often compared i guess... lol

lots of people seem to dislike values of madness, but i actually like it, not one of my favorites, but it is the catchiest one from the heavier tracks imo

Devote My Life is growing on me, but that siren-like riff drives me batty. Maybe if it wasn’t so prominent in the mix. It’s supposedly dedicated to Kyo’s parents, which is kind of odd in terms of how it sounds musically. 

10 hours ago, Egnirys cimredopyh said:

In top 5:

05. Aka

04. Values of Madness

03. Keigaku no Yoku

02. Zetsuentai

01. Keigaku no Hajimari

Remakes are all top tier too. I even set up a little playlist with the most recent remakes all in one.

31 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Keibetsu to Hajimari, you pleb! Turn in your fan card!

Yanno what? In my defense, i have been drinking.

Also, "Wake" 2018 is the greatest thing ever. Fight me.

Values of Madness was the only song that elicited any really positive response on first listen. With that said, I still like this album more already on just the first listen than I thought I would ever.  I really hated Arche.

To y'all saying Values of Madness is like the Gazette - thats fair I guess. I like vkei diru.

Edited by Reiko

For now I'm listening to the album on Spotify waiting for my physical copy to arrive.

Ordered it from CD Japan, in early August, so hope I won't have to wait for it as long as for The Kanmuri's recent CD 😐

Back to the topic, I'm liking Keibetsu no Hajimari, Rubbish Heap, Utafumi. Also Keigaku no Yoku and the way how it starts calm and slowly progresses into total fury.
Plus, what be a Diru album without a more mellow song, like Aka or Ranunculus?

Overall, I've noticed ever since TMOAB came out, Diru has been putting out aggressive and calmer albums in turns.
Uroboros had their fair share of heavy and soft, melodic songs.
DSS was dominated by much harder and rocking songs, save for Lotus and Vanitas (which even were the highlights in my book).
Arche was in some ways similar to Uroboros, with more Kyo's clean singing and even progressive songs.
And now we have Insulated World, which leans on the heavier side again

Anyone else has that feeling? ;) 

have a feeling Values of Madness is gonna end up becoming this album's Sustain The Untruth

2 minutes ago, Tokage said:

have a feeling Values of Madness is gonna end up becoming this album's Sustain The Untruth

As in the song Dir en Grey will play all the time but no one really likes?

3 minutes ago, AverageS said:

As in the song Dir en Grey will play all the time but no one really likes?

that + it being the kind of obligatory nu-metal throwback tune that pretty much all their albums since MOAB have had 

9 minutes ago, AverageS said:

As in the song Dir en grey will play all the time but no one really likes?

You'd be surprised, it's disgusting how in Japan every time they start playing Sustain the Untruth, the fans act like Christmas came early. Seen it 30+ times and by the end of the tours I would feel like the band was doing it on purpose just to mock me. A show without Sustain was like a gift. Easily the most annoying Dir en grey live track.