Spike760

Dir en grey

On 7/13/2018 at 9:23 AM, Seelentau said:

The song they played at mode of DSS reminds me of "Bring them to light", tempo-wise. It's entirely guttural, too. There's a slower, more melodic part in the middle. ~3 minutes long.

The Tour18 song has Toshiya providing backing growls. Kyo mostly sings with his normal voice. Again, fast paced tempo with a slower section in the middle, Kyo growls here. Some crazy gibberish in the latter half. The chorus has this "climax" thingy to it, that Kyo does in some songs. ~3:30 long.

Ranunculus is a ballad. Very slow and melodic.

Can confirm what he said. The song they played in mode of DSS has a very similar atmosphere to the DSS album itself. Ranunculus has a lot of soft ambient electronic bits in the beginning though, mixed with piano most likely played by Takumi, and a soaringly high chorus. Can't wait to hear it recorded.

Any thoughts on why Diru never plays their pre-Withering repertory? Unlike almost all the bands in the scene, they could have not played them never ever again if it weren't for the MODE OF... tours. (Still waiting for the MACABRE one, also! Why did they ignored it?) Dude, I'm glad they decided to put out a DVD of these lives! The VK-eras are still my favorites, despite I generally praise every album from them... I wish someday we'll have decent quality videos from their performances MISSA, Gauze and Macabre eras (2 Budokan gigs, and almost no records of them! Only seconds-length clisp... That's a fucking shame!).

Kyo has said many times that he hates Guaze, not sure about their other early albums but I think they play old songs every now and then.

1 hour ago, Kelrya said:

Kyo has said many times that he hates Guaze, not sure about their other early albums but I think they play old songs every now and then.

Probably because Kyo was, like, emulating Kiyoharu half the time during DEG earlier days, and now they don't get along anymore :P

7 hours ago, LIDL said:

Probably because Kyo was, like, emulating Kiyoharu half the time during DEG earlier days, and now they don't get along anymore :P

That's news for me. Tell me mooooooooooooooooore!

8 hours ago, Kelrya said:

Did he said that explicitly? I've readen that they stopped wearing make up because they hated the visual-kei term and the scene and blablabla (the same answer they gave to West people that interviewed them when they started touring became noticed). But come on! Can you really hate the songs that made you popular, and still surivive in the ears of everyone as anthems? 

18 minutes ago, saiko said:

Can you really hate the songs that made you popular, and still surivive in the ears of everyone as anthems? 

Yeah, bands do it all the time. Besides, isn’t Withering to Death their most popular/successful album in terms of Oricon charts and fan response?

2 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Yeah, bands do it all the time. Besides, isn’t Withering to Death their most popular/successful album in terms of Oricon charts and fan response?

I thought that was Kisou.

10 hours ago, saiko said:

Any thoughts on why Diru never plays their pre-Withering repertory? Unlike almost all the bands in the scene, they could have not played them never ever again if it weren't for the MODE OF... tours. (Still waiting for the MACABRE one, also! Why did they ignored it?) Dude, I'm glad they decided to put out a DVD of these lives! The VK-eras are still my favorites, despite I generally praise every album from them... I wish someday we'll have decent quality videos from their performances MISSA, Gauze and Macabre eras (2 Budokan gigs, and almost no records of them! Only seconds-length clisp... That's a fucking shame!).

This was literally like, only a teeny tiny period during WtD and MOAB eras when they mostly played their newest material ( as most bands around the world usually do while promoting an album. ) Before the Mode tours were even as much as a thought, even the fine people of Finland had the chance to hear the tracks Zakuro, old Karasu, old shokubeni, Wake/Riyuu, 24ko Cylinder and Drain away played live in 2007 and 2011. They got a gigantic repertoire and still there was only a small handful of songs they didn't play after 2006

Edited by Disposable

The whole 'band decides not to play their hit songs' thing happens all the time, 'anthems' or not, see also Radiohead's relation with 'Creep' as a Western example. There's really nothing  wrong with it at all imo, bands don't owe it to their audience to always play the hits.. As far as Dir en grey goes, they have been pretty consistent with still featuring occasional older tracks in their setlists and mixing it up, apart from a couple songs, they haven't really turned into one of those dinosaur bands that just goes through the motions and plays the same 'greatest hit selection' at every show

I mean, shit, I saw them play Ugly and Amber in New York back in 2009. I believe they busted out Schwein no Isu and Akuro no Oka a couple nights before that. 

I bought a ticket after watching that video, felt sorry for them.

Let's meet in London MH peeps.

(also it was stupid of them to set the gig on a Tuesday) 

Not sure why this video was made. As far as I know, Dir en grey gigs do pretty well in London.

The only one I remember being badly attended was sukekiyo in 2014. There were probably no more than 200-300 people there (800 capacity), so it was quite intimate.

8 hours ago, Disposable said:

you can tell the tickets aren't selling when they even had to force kyo to do one of those 

Two, actually

He did the one for Cologne, too