Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

You think so? To me, TMOAB is their worst produced album. Whenever I think of it, I think of this black wall of noise...

Give TMOAB another chance if you still happen to think of 'black wall of noise'.

I understand people to whom this is not their cup of tea, but we cannot deny that instruments sound a lot punchier and "freer" here than elsewhere. To compare it to Kisou, however, is fascinating though. Kisou had quite shitty guitars and questionable EQ levels near the end which was not the thing on TMOAB - Pink Killer, to name one example.

Experimentation or what people call "diversity", though, is not their forte and I fail to understand why people love MACABRE or UROBOROS so much. Especially the latter was not that novel of an approach from their usual delivery.

Edited by Alroy

I listen to TMOAB a lot, since I almost exclusively listen to DEG^^

And I agree that some songs are very nice, but as a whole, it's just a picture of noise, black whirls, whatever, in my memory. Dunno how to explain it.

Maybe I like the album, but not the image/memory of it that I have in my head.

1 hour ago, Alroy said:

Give TMOAB another chance if you still happen to think of 'black wall of noise'.

I understand people to whom this is not their cup of tea, but we cannot deny that instruments sound a lot punchier and "freer" here than elsewhere. To compare it to Kisou, however, is fascinating though. Kisou had quite shitty guitars and questionable EQ levels near the end which was not the thing on TMOAB - Pink Killer, to name one example.

Experimentation or what people call "diversity", though, is not their forte and I fail to understand why people love MACABRE or UROBOROS so much. Especially the latter was not that novel of an approach from their usual delivery.

Pink Killer is totally and utterly horrendous. I actively avoid it because of how aurally offensive it is. 

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

Vulgar and WtD are tied for worst produced album, but Arche isn’t too far behind. 

Original Uroboros as well (except for Toguro). 

I listened to the original Uroboros recently and the drums are horrific. The drum track in Red Soil sounds like it was made with a couple of empty milk cartons. 

1 hour ago, nullmoon said:

Pink Killer is totally and utterly horrendous. I actively avoid it because of how aurally offensive it is. 

I don't know how to feel about this since it's one of my favourite songs. It's so raw

Pink Killer is basically the VK parody of St. Anger before St. Anger came into existence.

I don't care whether the extreme level of obnoxiousness was intentional here but the aural offense that die-hard fans call "raw" will definitely piss off anyone who's at least a bit of legitly concerned fan of music or a self-respecting musician.

Edited by Alroy

54 minutes ago, Asakusa said:

I don't know how to feel about this since it's one of my favourite songs. It's so raw

Each to their own :) I want to like it but it's too raw (blue, even) for my taste. 

1 hour ago, nullmoon said:

I listened to the original Uroboros recently and the drums are horrific. The drum track in Red Soil sounds like it was made with a couple of empty milk cartons. 

Just listened to them back-to-back, and you're right. Actually, some (if not all) of the drums in the Red Soil remaster sound like they've been entirely re-recorded.

As for PINK KILLER, well, I've always liked it. But I come from a background of Industrial, Noise, and other kinds of hard electronic music, so this sort of thing just appeals to me.

Edited by Nowhere Girl

46 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

As for PINK KILLER, well, I've always liked it. But I come from a background of Industrial, Noise, and other kinds of hard electronic music, so this sort of thing just appeals to me.

Me too, think of a Vampillia-Endon-Merzbow thingie and PINK KILLER is just a glass of water lol

Well, those bands ARE in fact from the noise genre and DEG is not

I wonder if anyone out there ever compiled a list of songs DeG just WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN and any speculation as to why (do they hate it? outgrew it? unpopular with fans?). 

I kinda did wish Garden would make an appearance on vestiges of scratches. ah well. another remaster for another time I suppose.

25 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

They're most likely embarrassed about it. It's very non-DEG.

I dunno, Missa isn't the best release but it's decent. Aoi Tsuki is my jam! 

8 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

They're most likely embarrassed about it. It's very non-DEG.

But so is I’ll. 

7 hours ago, shiyouka said:

I secretly like berry (have been through child abuse) but have never heard them play it in lives from the last ~5 years, I think.

Surely they played it during the Mode of Macabre tour. 

6 hours ago, shiyouka said:

I wonder if anyone out there ever compiled a list of songs DeG just WILL NEVER PLAY AGAIN and any speculation as to why (do they hate it? outgrew it? unpopular with fans?). 

lol that's an easy one everything they released before 2003.  And yes they do hate that whole era of their music.

I really really love audrey, it's so underrated though

A couple of years ago some friends would look at me in a strange way because of this

Man, audrey is fucking good

18 hours ago, Saishu said:

Still waiting for Kyo’s promise to fuck my parents. 

an 11 year tease is too much for me. Just go fuck my parents already! God!

7 hours ago, shiyouka said:

I kinda did wish Garden would make an appearance on vestiges of scratches. ah well. another remaster for another time I suppose.

If you give me a song, I could tell you when they played it live the last time :)

My list isn't complete, though.

We have to ask musicians first whether they feel that certain songs may cause the band some difficulties even to this day.

For the record, there is a reason why the live VHS/DVD recording of Berry has never seen the light. Such a pain in the arse to play if you seek to nail all of it.

Edited by Alroy