Spike760

Dir en grey

Yes, in my personal experience, you're the first person I've encountered that said they like it. It's one of my favorites on DSS, so I was starting to feel alone for a bit there. 

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

Yes, in my personal experience, you're the first person I've encountered that said they like it. It's one of my favorites on DSS, so I was starting to feel alone for a bit there. 

To be honest - yes sure, it definitely is not the first song that keeps popping up in my mind whenever I think of DSS (first ones would be Dreambox and Beelzebub funnily enough) , but if I were to redefine the build of DSS in order to define what would be its "theme" to me, Shitataru would be definitely present over there - there's so much ambiguity (mind the title translation) and I could even imagine this slowly approaching ("trickling")  tornado-like, unsettling danger (creature, natural event) as the embodiment of this track - whereas most tracks on DSS usually lean on being genderbending for the sake of being ~genderbending~.

Edited by Alroy

I hate the DSS mix for Lotus and Hageshisa. The only good thing about the DSS version of Hageshisa is Die's melodic funk lick in the chorus is more prominent. 

That's almost what they did. In the single mix his chorus part was buried in the right channel, but for DSS it's front and center and louder. He's doing some of his trademark melodic jangly/flicka stuff in the chorus of Utafumi. But, again, buried. 

Yeah you can really hear it in this cover. It actually surprised me how interesting the guitar really is. I guess they made it too muddy to notice? 

They'll probably fix it for the album version, lol. 

I could hear the jangly stuff faintly, but I didn't realize it was actually a guitar part until I watched the Utafumi DVD. You get to see Die play it. 

Shinya kills it in the studio footage. And oddly enough, they don't show Kyo recording. 

That Jangly stuff seems like its purposely put where it is in the mix as a backing track. Seems fine to me, seeing as though both Kaoru and Die are playing the same thing anyways.

8 hours ago, Saishu said:

They'll probably fix it for the album version, lol. 

I could hear the jangly stuff faintly, but I didn't realize it was actually a guitar part until I watched the Utafumi DVD. You get to see Die play it. 

Shinya kills it in the studio footage. And oddly enough, they don't show Kyo recording. 

They basically never show Kyo in the studio videos. Even when it shows vocals being recorded it just shows the rest of the band recording gang vocals. 

I just realized that's true. But he's just straight up not in this one at all. I could have sworn there were a couple instances of him doing vocals, but I'm probably wrong. 

Time me to dig thru all the DVDs!

rip my ears, drowning cat chanteuse sounds horrid through most of that

super curious for utafumi live recordings, btw

On 8/13/2016 at 1:37 AM, Kelrya said:

They basically never show Kyo in the studio videos. Even when it shows vocals being recorded it just shows the rest of the band recording gang vocals. 

I sometimes think they actually hire another dwarf to sing through studio sessions, but never take him on tour (because fans are okay with what this one does live idk)

It's cause kyo wants to keep up his "i am a badass" image...so that's why he does not want to be on dvd backstage and recording material...

well does not bother me too much <D it's him....he's weired but kind of awesome >D

even though it's more interessting to watch the other guys playing instruments  (for me)

I missed the discussion when everyone was going on about Kyo's vocals. So what do people have to say about how Kyo (in DEG) has struggled to hit notes or sound remotely good in a lot of lives (gotta say the last two Budokan lives were on another level though). But in sukekiyo he sings perfectly, I haven't found one performance that makes my ears bleed.

How can that happen? Does he just hate the DEG material that much

Edited by Platy

sukekiyo is for the ~art~ so it deserves higher quality performances, Dir en grey's just for that extra design clothing money

Both bands are taxing on Kyo's vocals, but he's doing way more weird nonsense in DEG, and going from one extreme to the other while maintaining clean melodies in between — sometimes in the span of a few seconds — requires more focus and training than I think Kyo has. Though the Arche Budokan live tells me he's trying. 

Reading tons of Shinya discussion in this thread, so I thought I'd chime in as a drummer and a huge diru fan. 

Nobody in this band is particularly great at their instruments/abilities so its tough to really single Shinya out as far as song composition goes.  I think, given that despite whatever you think diru is now, they started in the golden time of v kei.  This to me means that all of things that may seem like overused or stupid tropes in song composition where just really reiterations of the trends of that time.  I always think that's what made diru so great. They weren't breaking any ground when they came out, they just took the best parts of the scene up to that point and nailed it in a huge way.  So all those things that people say about Shinya's boring or uninspired drumming have always been the things I love about his drumming.  He had his versions of the that distinct v kei style. 

As far as Shinya's recent stuff, I think Ouroboros was his best work as modern drummer.  I've always felt that Vinushka was his best work and Ware, Yami, Tote a close second.