Spike760

Dir en grey

15 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

I'm not sure what lynch. and their mediocre albums can contribute here that nightmare with their annual shit LPs haven't already

Maybe just that at the end of the day all this is opinion and none of it counts for shit.

A lot of bands can be awfully productive and keep releasing quality every single year. A fine example of this is Njiqahdda/Oaks of Bethel/Funeral Eclipse. Three bands that consists of two members, and from 2007-2016 they've released 28 albums, 66 EPs, and some splits, demos and stuff. In other words we're talking about a highly productive duo here. Now, I haven't heard every single release, but I guess I've heard 15 albums and 15 EPs, and it's all quality music, and I expect the same from the rest.

Boris who released 22 albums from 1996-2011. 8 of these albums was released in 05-06, and they are all fantastic.

Nadja is another band with a big amount of releases. 22 albums from 2002-2016. I'm not gonna say anything about the quality of their later albums, but their 16 albums from 2002-2009 are very good.

Now these are a few very extreme examples, but the amount of albums doesn't say anything about the quality itself. You can keep releasing ten albums a year and only release brilliant albums, just like you can release one album every five year and keep releasing mediocre-to-bad albums.

1 hour ago, NICKT said:

Maybe just that at the end of the day all this is opinion and none of it counts for shit.

Of course it's all opinion. This whole forum is filled with nothing but opinions. Though I'm curious how you listed a lynch album that's still three months out from release. 

I may have inadvertently started a flame war. Sorry!

Anyway, back on topic. What do you think will be on the new DECADE? I personally won't be buying it as I have everything on CD already, but it'll be interesting to see what everyone considers to be the strongest material from UROBOROS onwards. Maybe limit it to 15 songs, as that's probably about the length of the actual album. Here's my selection of tracks (not including remakes):

VINUSHKA

Toguro
STUCK MAN

BUGABOO

DOZING GREEN

DIFFERENT SENSE

DREAMBOX

VANITAS

Unraveling

Phenomenon

Tousei

Rinkaku

Chain repulsion

Kukuko no Kyouon

Revelation of mankind

Runners up:

Juuyoku

DIABOLOS

DECAYED CROW (Remix by NARASAKI) (haters gonna hate; I love this)

Uroko

I don't think it's going to be limited to the last decade considering the poll on their site covers the entire discography, including stuff like Kai and bonus discs. I'm really curious how they're going to handle this one. The DECADE collections were a combination of singles and just seemingly random picks like Audience Killer Loop and Repetition of Hatred. 

Hm. You could be right. Although I haven't seen a poll anywhere. Link, please?

It's extremely odd they list KAI, as imo it's not exactly essential listening, and almost half of its material is already available on various singles from that era. That exclusive Rasetsukoku Za Downtown Funkmaster remix is probably the best thing I've ever heard [/sarcasm].

I'd rate the unlisted bonus disc of DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN over KAI any day. 

As a side note, Utafumi is noticeably missing from that page.

I think the voting is only open to Japan. When I try to get to that album listing via the English version of the site, it sends me to the Japanese version again. 

On 6/12/2016 at 4:41 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

Hm. You could be right. Although I haven't seen a poll anywhere. Link, please?

It's extremely odd they list KAI, as imo it's not exactly essential listening, and almost half of its material is already available on various singles from that era. That exclusive Rasetsukoku Za Downtown Funkmaster remix is probably the best thing I've ever heard [/sarcasm].

I'd rate the unlisted bonus disc of DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN over KAI any day. 

As a side note, Utafumi is noticeably missing from that page.

Remix albums (separate ones) are often regarded as important pieces in artists' specific repertoires - especially when such releases have helped them to progress further towards the "trendsetting" status (i.e. you might say that NOT making a remix album of your hits at that time = uncool): DEG becoming super-popular among teens representing the other end of the fashion spectrum (while others being mostly invaded by those Kera stans or w/e of that time), even DJ sets of that time beginning to play mixed DEG, etc. etc..

DSS' bonus disc, however, means nothing in their overall course - it's just a small bonus for a very limited audience. Why should it garner similar attention in that case? I am not questioning whether you like it or not, but you've gotta think about possible "purposes" behind such releases anyway.

E.g. Hydra Buzzout Mix seemed to be pretty huge for a DEG track in the midst of usual DJ rave sets back in the day (late 2001-early 2002) - wasn't the original version rave-y enough in some parts though? Lol. I heard about this thru Tonberry back in the day so don't go asking me for long lost tapes of Japanese raves or idk lol.

Edited by Alroy

25 minutes ago, Carmelzors said:

E.g. Hydra Buzzout Mix seemed to be pretty huge for a DEG track in the midst of usual DJ rave sets back in the day (late 2001-early 2002) - wasn't the original version rave-y enough in some parts though? Lol.

VHS RAVE TAPES OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN

13 hours ago, Carmelzors said:

Remix albums (separate ones) are often regarded as important pieces in artists' specific repertoires - especially when such releases have helped them to progress further towards the "trendsetting" status (i.e. you might say that NOT making a remix album of your hits at that time = uncool): DEG becoming super-popular among teens representing the other end of the fashion spectrum (while others being mostly invaded by those Kera stans or w/e of that time), even DJ sets of that time beginning to play mixed DEG, etc. etc..

DSS' bonus disc, however, means nothing in their overall course - it's just a small bonus for a very limited audience. Why should it garner similar attention in that case? I am not questioning whether you like it or not, but you've gotta think about possible "purposes" behind such releases anyway.

E.g. Hydra Buzzout Mix seemed to be pretty huge for a DEG track in the midst of usual DJ rave sets back in the day (late 2001-early 2002) - wasn't the original version rave-y enough in some parts though? Lol. I heard about this thru Tonberry back in the day so don't go asking me for long lost tapes of Japanese raves or idk lol.

If that's so, why hasn't there been another remix album in the 15 years since KAI aside from those Limited Edition bonuses? They clearly had plans for more; KAI itself has 'REMIX 01' emblazoned on its spine. Did remix albums simply become less lucrative?

Not saying I don't agree with you. You make some great points.

9 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

If that's so, why hasn't there been another remix album in the 15 years since KAI aside from those Limited Edition bonuses? They clearly had plans for more; KAI itself has 'REMIX 01' emblazoned on its spine. Did remix albums simply become less lucrative?

Not saying I don't agree with you. You make some great points.

I bolded the answer :) Remix album trend was all the rage during early 00s - but now we are living mid-10s, in the wake of streaming sites, mixtape portals etc. etc...so there you go.

Also: meet the hipster

tumblr_o8tkl0oa6M1rkm240o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Alroy

On 6/29/2016 at 8:53 AM, Platy said:

This is the most awful teaser I've come across to date

Tfw this video is blocked in your country... 

On 26.6.2016 at 3:09 PM, Wicked Teletubby said:

Cl3__DYUoAAqCx1.jpg:large

I thought I was looking at VERBAL for a second...

His wardrobe is surely getting rather "trendy"...he looks younger that way I guess? o_O

^ yea, he looks way younger this way. He was going towards the oyaji yakuza look fast. This looks a lot better imo ^^

Lately I have been listening to ARCHE. I'm a bit ashamed it's taken me this long to get into this album, as I initially dismissed the album as overly complicated nonsense after listening through it for the first time. Also because I haven't been a big fan of Kyo's deeper growls and angel choir shrieks introduced with UROBOROS, which are the reason I haven't liked their albums that much.

After so many people talked highly of this album, I gave it a new chance - and  damn~! It's quickly becoming my favourite diru album. It's really back to more basic kind of Dir en Grey, maybe the most commercial and catchy tracks are missing compared to their earlier albums, but song structures are more easy on my ear still. ARCHE has really sparked my interest towards DeG once again, yay ^^

On 26/06/2016 at 7:09 PM, Wicked Teletubby said:

Cl3__DYUoAAqCx1.jpg:large

Kinda reminds me with his attempt at Oshare style circa Jessica era lel