Spike760

Dir en grey

21 hours ago, nekkichi said:

I risk to say Kyo is the best male vocalist alive. Not only his vocal range is totally absurd, how he expresses his emotions is beyond passionate. And how many vocalists can improve their voices over time like him? Listen to Missa or Gauze and now. He's a monster, almost super human!

BTW I saw some shmuck claiming Kyo's range was G1-C9 on a YT comment.

1 ) The highest note any person ever hit was E8 (and it sounded really bad, the previous record holder that could go as high as Eb8 sounded much better). That's eight semitones below C9, more than half an octave.

2) While Kyo's has reached G#7 it's definitely not good sounding nor controled. And it's 1 octave and 4 semitones below C9. One octave has 12 semitones btw.

3) The highest note people from The Range Place count on his range is E6 since people there are really picky when it comes to counting stuff on vocal ranges. That's 2 FUCKING OCTAVES and 8 SEMITONES below C9. A piano only goes up to C8, but if it did go up to C9, this person would get the wrong note for fucking 32 piano keys.

Here's Kyo's profile on The Range Place

http://therangeplace.boards.net/thread/1970/kyo

Here's an explanation on how vocal range works:

http://therangeplace.boards.net/thread/2672/range-faq

Edited by kuyashii

19 hours ago, Saishu said:

What’s the usual standard? More than half their records sound like hot rubbish.  It should be rated on songwriting anyway. 

I'm glad someone understands this. 

21 hours ago, Saishu said:

Zetsuentai: Still Chasing Vinushka

Vinushka>>> Zetsuentai>>>> Macabre>>>>Diabolos

TBH

59 minutes ago, kuyashii said:

BTW I saw some shmuck claiming Kyo's range was G1-C9 on a YT comment.

I went down that youtube rabbit hole literally yesterday, and there're some things that started making sense for me (apparently hitting forced, unnatural, cringey notes at the tail end of a dolphin mating calls before dropping it for a farty raspy growl hypothetically earns one Real Metal Scene Cred from the Academically Trained Chanteuses? that their 00'-'05 output didn't have the larynx abuse range for?);

it also makes sense that they "graduated" for a tryhard Real Band status and intentionally started driving away their old fans with the choices of literally everything

however, what still does not make sense for me is Kyo and everyone else in the band pretending they don't realize how shitty she sounds with the current attempts at hitting a note that a Joe Looney from The Averages (idk what straights currently listen to in this genre sorry xx) won't bother torturing himself with

deg youtube comments are generally wild tho.

Edited by nekkichi

That macabre song just doesn't grow on matter how much i listen to it, sounds boring.

Oh and if were talking about vocal range than there are tons and literally tons of people who can compete with kyo and might even leave him behind.

I did extensive research finding such monsters.

Heres my thread that may interest a some people.

https://rateyourmusic.com/board_message?message_id=6931637&board_id=1&find=7198616&x=m#msg7198616

Edited by FOSCOR70

56 minutes ago, WhirlingBlack said:

I wonder how long it will take for that dumb Tooru rumour to finally die. Its been debunked for years now.

he'll take it with him to grave and the neckbeards will engrave it on ha patreon-funded tombstone at this point

18 hours ago, libertine said:

The thing is though, none of this matters, because Kyo's voice was replaced with a Vocaloid in 2012 when his vocal cords got scrambled. That's why he suddenly started "singing" high. That's why it was such a big deal when they "lost their tracks" mid-live.  That's why it takes so long to make these records. Prove me wrong.

Seems like a troll post but you say "Prove me wrong" at the end.

Sure. They then came out after a short time and played a completely off-the-cuff set without any bells or whistles. Kyo sounded great.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:56 PM, Ro plz said:

I'm glad someone understands this. 

Vinushka>>> Zetsuentai>>>> Macabre>>>>Diabolos

TBH

I wouldn’t even throw Macabre into the equation. Yeah it’s an epic, but it doesn’t follow the same formula as the other three. The reason why Zetsuentai misses the mark is because it sounds like a copy of a copy. I love the atmospheric parts and the groovy heavy sections, but the fast part with Shinya’s trademark Fisher Price blast beat is boring as fuck. Especially since they do the same fucking thing right before it in Keigaku no Yoku!!!

Damn i mixed up the names, i was talking about 'Keigaku no Yoku' being the best track from the album not 'Zetsuentai'.

Keigaku no Yoku is the only track which got stuck in my head after first listen, other one is ranunculus. 

All the other tracks sounds all over the place.

11 minutes ago, libertine said:

TIW has three kinds of songs: songs that are like being stuck in a bus with a crying baby, songs that feel like spending the day in wet socks and songs that are Ranunculus.

I don't think I've read a more accurate description of this album yet.

5 hours ago, libertine said:

TIW has three kinds of songs: songs that are like being stuck in a bus with a crying baby, songs that feel like spending the day in wet socks and songs that are Ranunculus.

I love TIW, and holy shit I can’t stop laughing!

On 12/27/2018 at 8:32 AM, Seelentau said:

Yeah, right before the rapping part, there's some loud sound, but you can clearly hear him sing someting beneath that sound:

"hone no zui kara" PENG (doukan?) "GOD GOD GOD G O D" 

I am super late  but here to give my two cents:

• I don't hear any censored sound but I do hear Shinya smacking a cymbal at that exact moment. If you back up to the beginning of the verse, you can hear that PENG sound play out in 4/4 time. MACABRE needs a remastering from someone who can save those drums.
  • The lyrics are inaccurate the line before that as well: the subs say "dan dan minikuku natte iku" but he sings "dan dan lala minikuku natte"
  • Maybe the XX is meant to be a lyric that Kyo changed at the last second, and he subs it with lala in the verse before, but never changed lyrics for the booklet?

If you want to know that XX is, you're probably gonna have to translate that verse.

4 hours ago, Tokage said:

resurrecting this thread just to say that i feel like raison d'etre is a real underrated track and it's prob one of my fave 90s vk songs ever 

This song is one of the main reasons why I started playing bass. Still there isn't anything that sounds like this in the whole VK story. Probably one of the best examples of Dir's versatility at composing.

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

I am super late  but here to give my two cents:

• I don't hear any censored sound but I do hear Shinya smacking a cymbal at that exact moment. If you back up to the beginning of the verse, you can hear that PENG sound play out in 4/4 time. MACABRE needs a remastering from someone who can save those drums.
  • The lyrics are inaccurate the line before that as well: the subs say "dan dan minikuku natte iku" but he sings "dan dan lala minikuku natte"
  • Maybe the XX is meant to be a lyric that Kyo changed at the last second, and he subs it with lala in the verse before, but never changed lyrics for the booklet?

If you want to know that XX is, you're probably gonna have to translate that verse.

Yeah, the PENG sound is there earlier and later, but Kyo absolutely sings something between "hone no zui" and "GOD GOD GOD G-O-D".

Here, I've cut out the sequence:

Even if you count each mora, it's more than what the lyrics provide.

The "hone no zui" is done pretty fast, after that it could either be "??? kara" or "kara ???" and then "GOD ...".

After playing it over and over again, it sounds somewhat like "hone no zui no ido kara".

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

After playing it over and over again, it sounds somewhat like "hone no zui no ido kara".

I can hear that. But what does it mean and why would it have to be censored out? My Japanese is not good enough to attempt translating this, but I tried.

骨の髄から -> 骨の髄のいどから which would mean something like "From the bone marrow". 

骨の髄 hone no zui means "marrow of a bone". "ido" could be anything. Could be "idou", too.

But I'm fairly certain he isn't singing that specific word, it just sounds to me as if.

But he definitely sings something right when the PENG happens. "Hone no zui ??? PENG kara - GOD GOD GOD G-O-D".

Thing is, as I said, the XX in the band score come after the "kara", so it might be "Hone no zui kara PENG ???a - GOD GOD GOD G-O-D".

Edited by Seelentau