Spike760

Dir en grey

8 minutes ago, StriderSubzero said:

So what's up with all the Star of David imagery in the backdrop for Grief on mode of Marrow of the bone?

Well, the artwork for that album was taken during World War 2. Perhaps Grief is about the suffering of the Jewish people under the Nazi regime.

16 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Well, the artwork for that album was taken during World War 2. Perhaps Grief is about the suffering of the Jewish people under the Nazi regime.

Coincidentally "Grief" is also the title of the photograph (taken during WW2) they used for the album's cover art.

Edited by Jigsaw9

4 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Coincidentally "Grief" is also the title of the photograph (taken during WW2) they used for the album's cover art.

This is true, but I don't think it's a coincidence at all.

Most likely, the song is generically about the horrors of war rather than being specific to a situation or people.

Ok, this sample nonsense is getting old. The band will release the samples very soon, so have some goddamn patience and chill the fuck out. If you really wanna stay updated, follow the band on social media or check up their website. It's not that hard. As for those trolling the samples, that's enough

Any more posts about this will be hidden and you may even receive a warning.

Juzeus i realized how many views this thread has 160k. Any good place to start with this band i never really had much time to actually full dive into the Crazy fk storm of releases these guys have. Thanks in advance for who ever takes the time to guide meh :P

12 minutes ago, Axius said:

Juzeus i realized how many views this thread has 160k. Any good place to start with this band i never really had much time to actually full dive into the Crazy fk storm of releases these guys have. Thanks in advance for who ever takes the time to guide meh :P

Considering that each of their albums sounds differently, there's no real starting point. I'd listen to VESTIGE OF SCRATCHES front to back, first. It's their recent best-of album. Just be careful, the last song on each CD (three total) is a remade version, so they kinda don't count.

47 minutes ago, Axius said:

Start from the beginning and work your way forward. It's a time investment but it's interesting to follow the bands evolution and as a new listener you have a chance to do it much faster than the rest of us could. 

1 hour ago, Axius said:

1. Start with Kodou

2. Ask yourself "Do I want something heavier, or lighter?"

3. The Former: listen to Withering to Death - Arche

4. The Latter: listen to Missa - Vulgar

When I first started listening to the band, roughly when Withering to Death came out, I didn't listen to their older material until YEARS later. That also probably explains why I'm not really fond of their older releases compared to everything they've done from W2D and on.

Edited by geist

11 minutes ago, geist said:

1. Start with Kodou

2. Ask yourself "Do I want something heavier, or lighter?"

3. The Former: listen to Withering to Death - Arche

4. The Latter: listen to Missa - Vulgar

When I first started listening to the band, roughly when Withering to Death came out, I didn't listen to their older material until YEARS later. That also probably explains why I'm not really fond of their older releases compared to everything they've done from W2D and on.

I second this tbh. (Though I'd probably start with Vulgar.) I'd known Diru for a while but got into them right before Withering came out. Since it aligned with my music taste at the time it was easy to get into, and from there on they continued releasing things in a fairly logical diru-evolution (along with my own). I've always liked Vulgar as well but the ones before I've never been able to link with. Maybe if I'd gotten into them earlier.

Edited by Kaye

my first DIR song was Hotarubi. I fell in love with it but never bothered to look for anything else from them.

Then i randomly saw that Child Prey PV. 

That's when i decided to look for them on MySpace. This was at the time when Ryoujoku no Ame was released.

Decided to buy one of their live dvds and got what i think it's their worst live dvd ever It Withers and Withers.

I decided to give them another change and bought the 5 Ugly Kingdom dvd and then i was hooked. Still my favorite dvd. 

17 hours ago, Axius said:

This is how I would describe all their albums. I figure you can start with what sounds appealing to you and make your way around. My personal favs are Macabre, Vulgar, and Arche.

Gauze - Classic 80's/90's jrock with a bit of bite, a nice mix of pop songs and heavy metal

Macabre - An evolution of Gauze with more experimentation

Kisou - Crunchier, heavier, and more industrial than the previous two

Vulgar - An evolution of Kisou, heavier, more industrial and refined. Still retains a fun upbeat atmosphere. Strong Western rock influence.

Withering to Death - A stripped down form of Vulgar with less industrial sounds. Even stronger Western influences and a darker more vicious listening experience.

Marrow of the Bone - Raw, violent, unrefined and dark. Very depressing and hopeless atmosphere.

Uroboros - A change in direction. Injects strong oriental and spiritual vibes into their sound. The album is a journey.

Dum Spiro Spero - It's like an exaggeration of Uroboros. Takes the sounds from previous album and intensifies everything. More spiritual vibes, heavier, more contemporary/avantegarde song writing.

Arche - A return to form. You can hear a bit of all their past work mixed in with their current sound. Overall, a softer more tame listening experience.

is it too boring to start with OBSCURE video?

anywho, that's how I did. 'twas the end of 2006 and TMOAB was coming soon.

I got hooked on every release since then.

and yeah, DIR was my first j-rock band.

For me it was the Clever Sleazoid video. I was intrigued then but I didn't REALLY get into them until Dozing Green. At that time I was really into MUCC as well, but I felt MUCC was getting worse with age and DEG was getting better with age at that point.

I moved to Japan in 2002 and started with Kisou after buying a copy of it after seeing the band in a Shoxxx VK magazine.  I was wowed, and worked my way back from there; Kisou was still my favorite at that point, but I enjoyed the others.  Then once Six Ugly was released however, I fell in love with the band's more western and heavier sound and have been following through the evolution ever since.

I second the comment by Kaye to start with Vulgar.  It has accessibility and heaviness and blends it all well - from there is the question to go heavier and darker (all post-Vulgar work) or lighter and poppier (all pre-Vulgar work).

But don't let the lighter, poppier music confuse you, the lyrics are always dark and angsty.

On another note, can't wait for people to shorten "Ningen o kaburu" to NwK because they use traditional hepburn ._.

25 minutes ago, TheStoic said:

I moved to Japan in 2002 and started with Kisou after buying a copy of it after seeing the band in a Shoxxx VK magazine.  I was wowed, and worked my way back from there; Kisou was still my favorite at that point, but I enjoyed the others.  Then once Six Ugly was released however, I fell in love with the band's more western and heavier sound and have been following through the evolution ever since.

I second the comment by Kaye to start with Vulgar.  It has accessibility and heaviness and blends it all well - from there is the question to go heavier and darker (all post-Vulgar work) or lighter and poppier (all pre-Vulgar work).

taste tbh