Spike760

Dir en grey

On 2/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, seys said:

You who were at the US shows, did you notice any cameras recording it? 

There was at least 1 camera recording each show in the EU, and in the one I attended, during the last song (Utafumi) there was a guy at the back of the stage with a camera. I'm not sure if he was just taking pictures or recording though. Die did point to him when he left the stage.

I'm asking because if there were, I think it's pretty likely that there's going to be a DVD of the tour since they used the same name for Japan -> US -> EU.

they filmed entire last (Paris) show with at least 6 cameras.  did they filmed show in Mexico also??? anyone???

On 2/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Tokage said:

They just copied The Stalin's song :/ The lyrics are exactly the same and everything 

Isn't that... kinda the point of a cover? To play another band's song? 

Not sure what there is to be disappointed about here. Deg's version is, for starters, an entirely different genre. They did quite a lot with it.

throwback to that one time when kyo interviewed alejandro jodorowsky

On 1/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, evenor said:

Important things to take from this:

1. Die shares that his fav fast riffs are from deg's debut album gauze

2. Toshiya describes their current sound as "psychobilly" lmao

Personally I'm really enjoying their new psychobilly direction. They've come a long way since their oi! roots, although their mid-era harsh noise material remains my favorite stuff by the band.

The guitar tones are always so terrible when they have artists do stuff like this. Die and Kaoru did a similar video about ten years ago that suffered the same fate. 

Seems that this era's finale won't be at Budokan this time.

It has been announced that DIR EN GREY will held a 2DAYS LIVE “The Insulated World -The Screams of Alienation-” at PIA ARENA MM on July 23 th (Thu.) – 24th (Fri.) 2020 as the final chapter of their 10th ALBUM『The Insulated World』.

I thought this album's cycle was okay, but ultimately nothing too special. I'll be glad to see the back of it, honestly. Here's to the next one being better.

2 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Seems that this era's finale won't be at Budokan this time.

I thought this album's cycle was okay, but ultimately nothing too special. I'll be glad to see the back of it, honestly. Here's to the next one being better.

Yeah. That's due to the Budokan being used for Olympics.

Also, we kinda received second Unraveling (seven re-recordings from 2016 till these days), nostalgia tour, best album, long single. It was the wild ride.

Even though The Insulated World is down there with Withering as my least favorite DEG album, I don't hate it - I'll always have an appreciation for it too since their last US tour cycle was the first time I saw them, and it was way better live. Really hoping for good things with the next one, or at least decent production (lol.) Arche was only two albums ago, and that's one of their best, so who knows!

Yeah, don't get the wrong idea; I do like TIW. I just don't love it. Even though bad mastering killed the album for me, the songs aren't terrible, proved by how well they translated live. In fact, I vastly prefer it live, and I wish they'd recorded it that way. Kyo's vocals on Ranunculus live are fantastic. However, the songwriting itself is occasionally blah on this album. I feel like repetition has set in, with several songs being copy-pastes of material we've heard before. It's been the first DEG era where I've felt somewhat disconnected from the music.

I will admit that the endless Japan-only From Depression To... tours with appallingly expensive fanclub-exclusive Blu-Rays did not help my demeanour going into this album. That was a really, really boring time to be a DEG fan.

Best Of album was inevitable. Aside from FUKAI, the re-recorded songs from this suck tbh, and the videos are just trash. I don't really care for this release, but it's not intended for me, so it doesn't matter.

As for re-recordings, it's funny that they re-recorded Ash *again*, although this rendition is pretty good. Likewise THE DEEPER VILENESS is just disgusting; I love it. Acoustic DOZING GREEN is perfect.

The World of Mercy is a great single. A slow-burner, for sure. This should have been on the album to make it over an hour. Even so, I'm glad to see another long non-album single like ain't afraid to die. 

Edited by Nowhere Girl

If World of Mercy ended up on TiW – based on setlist – it would have potentially ended up closing out the album. That would have been an absolute travesty as far as I’m concerned. 

I’m over being upset about the mix for TiW. DEG albums have sounded far worse than this, and in some ways it does sound like it’s a raw live recording. Only thing that bothers me is Toshiya gets buried and, uh, Keigaku no Yoku and Zetsuentai should have been placed farther away from each other. 

In hindsight it’s tighter and more focused than DSS, remastered Uroboros, and Arche. Like I’m getting old and I don’t have time for albums that push 70 minutes anymore, okay?!

On 2/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, seys said:

You who were at the US shows, did you notice any cameras recording it? 

There was at least 1 camera recording each show in the EU, and in the one I attended, during the last song (Utafumi) there was a guy at the back of the stage with a camera. I'm not sure if he was just taking pictures or recording though. Die did point to him when he left the stage.

I'm asking because if there were, I think it's pretty likely that there's going to be a DVD of the tour since they used the same name for Japan -> US -> EU.

there were japanese bangya recording tons of shit with ancient digital cameras at my cleveland date which was totally bizarre 

I know there are more important things going on right now but I'm a bit surprised that there was no mention of the live concert-less concert they just put on🤔🤔

"The Insulated World" never seemed more appropriate.

The online live concert this morning was a good initiative from the band. They've made a respectable sum of money from the YouTube donations.