Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, Ro plz said:

...maybe my ear isn't as trained as everyone who has this HUGE issue with the production but to me, its nothing that drastic. I feel like I've heard worse.

You’ve definitely heard worse, and you’ve definitely heard worse production by Dir en grey. 

The production is fine. I only have issues with small mixing/artistic choices that in the grand scheme of things don’t matter. 

It IS drastically different from arche, though, which feels too sterile to my ears. The guitars have poor mixing and the drums are just too far forward in the mix along with the vocals. 

The Inferno is a great example of this. Listening to the full mix in stereo, Kyo is practically drowning everyone else out and I hate that. But again, those are artistic choices that at the end of the day don’t matter too much. 

And ive said it since the beginning: The Insulated World is their strongest material to date. Hands down. 

Edited by geist

ppl out there are gonna be like ''wow the mastering on this is awful. they REALLY messed up the production on this one fellas'' & will then go right back to listening to music on $5 earbuds

Riyuu sounds really great on the new dvd (that last bit wow), most the songs sound pretty good except for ranunculous which kyo can't sing live at all. TIW has grown on me a fair bit too, though it's still one of their worst efforts imo.

And world of mercy is great.

Edited by Tanishi

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

ppl out there are gonna be like ''wow the mastering on this is awful. they REALLY messed up the production on this one fellas'' & will then go right back to listening to music on $5 earbuds

Even on $5 headphones albums produced and mixed well sound fine.

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

TIW sounds like it was recorded on starwave so like w/e

On 9/27/2019 at 6:41 AM, Tokage said:

Not sure what you're talking about, seeing as TIW was mixed by someone who only had access to paper cups with string attached.

Also, I use Sennheisers and it sounds fucking crap, so there.

9 minutes ago, Saishu said:

In the grand scheme of things every DEG album sounds like sweaty cheeks, so I don’t know why we even continue to have this discussion 

Ah that's explains why I love the way they sound 

The fact that this is being discussed at all means that there is an issue here, at least for some of us. I haven't minded any of the past mixes (until Tue Madsen's muddy DSS, particularly the singles). Original Uroboros sounds great. Kisou is excellent. Heck, even Marrow isn't bad. They all have a garage-feel that works for their respective albums. To my ears, TIW does not work; it's fatiguing.

I for one will be glad to see the backs of this era's team. Looking forward to whatever's coming next. Hopefully they won't use these guys again like they did with Tue Madsen (who was okay for the most part, just overused and got old).

I received my copy of The World of Mercy a few days ago. Listened to it twice. It suffers from the exact same problems that TIW does. The song itself is okay, although I'm still trying to digest it. It does feel quite bloated. Dozing Green acoustic is nice but it ends too quickly. I wish they kept the end of the song intact. Grief is Grief.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:29 PM, psychonnect_rozen said:

How would you guys rank Diru's albums?:

My ranking from best to worst

Gauze/Withering To Death

Dum Spiro Spero

Kisou

Uroboros

The Insulated World

MACABRE

Vulgar

Arche

The Marrow Of A Bone

Macabre
Gauze

Missa

Kisou
Vulgar

Uroborus

Marrow of a Bone

Withering to Death

Arche

TIW

DSS

good production/mastering really won't make that much of a difference for their new stuff. They need a better guitar tone!
I revisited Vulgar (which I used to kinda poopoo because it was their take on nu-metal, but time heals all wounds etc) and the guitar absolutely rips compared to this flat, uber-scooped protoolsy tone they have now.

Edited by hopefully_benign

3 hours ago, hopefully_benign said:

good production/mastering really won't make that much of a difference for their new stuff. They need a better guitar tone!

I revisited Vulgar (which I used to kinda poopoo because it was their take on nu-metal, but time heals all wounds etc) and the guitar absolutely rips compared to this flat, uber-scooped protoolsy tone they have now.

Guitar tone is part of the production process.

A better master would make a huge difference. In TIW, there's so much overall compression that the sound is crushed to the point of almost becoming two-dimensional. That's why it sounds 'flat'. Distorted guitars sound 'flat' by their very nature. A good mix will give them not only spatial positioning but also breathing room in the song.

Anyway, I do think that this was an artistic decision to make the LP sound as claustrophobic and difficult as possible. If so, they achieved their goal... at the cost of the music being fatiguing to listen to. Compare the album mixes to the live ones. It's like night and day.

Apologies if I'm sounding like a broken record.

15 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

The fact that this is being discussed at all means that there is an issue here, at least for some of us. I haven't minded any of the past mixes (until Tue Madsen's muddy DSS, particularly the singles)... 

To my ears, TIW does not work; it's fatiguing.

This

2 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

A better master would make a huge difference. In TIW, there's so much overall compression that the sound is crushed to the point of almost becoming two-dimensional. That's why it sounds 'flat'. Distorted guitars sound 'flat' by their very nature. A good mix will give them not only spatial positioning but also breathing room in the song.

and this

So I finally watched the TIW lives.

After listening to how well the new Wake and Kigan sound, I strongly believe they should've given both songs the Mazo treatment by not even bothering to record them. Overall, these guys sound so much better live, and they're REALLY into these songs. 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:38 PM, Seelentau said:

I'm so glad I have no ear for those details.

Most don't; but it's fun to pretend. 

18 hours ago, Ro plz said:

So I finally watched the TIW lives.

After listening to how well the new Wake and Kigan sound, I strongly believe they should've given both songs the Mazo treatment by not even bothering to record them. Overall, these guys sound so much better live, and they're REALLY into these songs. 

Yeah. My only wish is for the new Mazohyst (even a live version) to be dumped on a single or something. Still haven't heard it.