Spike760

Dir en grey

9 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I can see why people dislike it, especially if your a fan of DSS or Uroboros. 

To me, I honestly couldn’t give two shits about the production. If anything, I like the more raw sound they went for. Is TIW a perfect album? No, but I do enjoy the hell out of TIW. Probably a light 8/10 IMO.

To be fair tho, I don’t really hate all their albums. There isn’t one album in Diru’s discography that I wouldn’t consider bad. I just enjoy certain albums over others. If anything, my ranking is a bit weird tbh lol

Feel free to disagree but that’s just my two cents

See, but I wonder if it's a matter of stylistic choices or poor production choices. I've heard other bands I like with lots of music industry experience (Japanese and other countries) release albums with some very questionable audio quality. Like, it'll be their 6th album and their album will be brickwalled and have clipped audio everywhere, or instruments balanced poorly. To me, those things are not a stylistic choice but amateur audio production. I haven't followed the release of this album at all so don't know anything about what the band has said about inspiration for the album or any production decisions, so maybe they did consciously decide on this sound, but just from my listening experience that's not the feeling I got. I may not be able to, but it's great you're able to overlook the production aspect of music since it allows you enjoy more music.

Is that a "Fantano" rating I hear?

Yeah, I agree their discography is really solid. There isn't anything I absolutely hate (except R to the Core) and they experiment a lot so they have a wide range of material.  But I still think World of Mercy is a burning Rubbish Heap 😂

32 minutes ago, ghost said:

See, but I wonder if it's a matter of stylistic choices or poor production choices. I've heard other bands I like with lots of music industry experience (Japanese and other countries) release albums with some very questionable audio quality. Like, it'll be their 6th album and their album will be brickwalled and have clipped audio everywhere, or instruments balanced poorly. To me, those things are not a stylistic choice but amateur audio production. I haven't followed the release of this album at all so don't know anything about what the band has said about inspiration for the album or any production decisions, so maybe they did consciously decide on this sound, but just from my listening experience that's not the feeling I got. I may not be able to, but it's great you're able to overlook the production aspect of music since it allows you enjoy more music.

Is that a "Fantano" rating I hear?

Yeah, I agree their discography is really solid. There isn't anything I absolutely hate (except R to the Core) and they experiment a lot so they have a wide range of material.  But I still think World of Mercy is a burning Rubbish Heap 😂

Shame. I think TWOM is amazing. IMO it’s up there with their best long songs, mine being Macabre (The OG and Remake) and Vinushka. Akuro no Oka is up there as well

9 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Shame. I think TWOM is amazing. IMO it’s up there with their best long songs, mine being Macabre (The OG and Remake) and Vinushka. Akuro no Oka is up there as well

Honestly, I wish I liked it more. There are some interesting ideas that they flirt with in the first and last third of the song, but I don't think they played with them enough. It comes off more like a polished demo in its currents state. I love those songs too, but this one just didn't have the same impact on me as those did.

1 minute ago, Saishu said:

I’m not going to argue. That’s why I put it right above Wtd. 

Completely overlooked that, sorry! I keep forgetting you're one of the few people on this earth who agrees with me regarding Kisou XD 

24 minutes ago, ghost said:

Honestly, I wish I liked it more. There are some interesting ideas that they flirt with in the first and last third of the song, but I don't think they played with them enough. It comes off more like a polished demo in its currents state. I love those songs too, but this one just didn't have the same impact on me as those did.

I disagree. I think it sounds really good and the production great. Honestly, I’d say it’s probably their best single so far. 🤷🏻‍♀️

12 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I disagree. I think it sounds really good and the production great. Honestly, I’d say it’s probably their best single so far. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Production wise it sounds fine, but compositionally I meant that I find it lacking.

Edited by ghost

World of Mercy sounds like a Keigaku no Yoku and Zetsuentai mashup. It’s a good thing it didn’t end up on TIW. The similarities would have been a lot more obvious. 

I'm listening to the world of mercy rn and tbh it would slay as an opening TIW track

(and they optionally could've scrapped the first two or three shit songs or idk release them as singles later, ending the album with ranunculus and everything would have been better that way)

but I'm p sure they didn't have enough rejected ideas ready to get rearranged at the time album was produced.

I'm trimming it to 6:20 for my playlist lol idc papa kaoru's composing genius up his ass again

nnnnn @ takumi's shitty new synth jumping out again I hate it sfm I literally can't, another reason to end this thing early

--

does anyone else think the way they recorded the kyopera around 09:00 sounds p similar to studio fuckery that yomi from nightmare and hayato from duel jewel were resorting to shortly before announcing their hiatuses/semi-retirement? thots?..

Edited by nekkichi

9 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

nnnnn @ takumi's shitty new synth jumping out again I hate it sfm I literally can't, another reason to end this thing early

Should replace him with new synth queen in vk Mar from Verxina 

45 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Eh, I mean I’m fine with the composition tbh.

I always feel like I stan Diru way to much lol. 

I'm a HARD stan for Dir, but I must agree on TWOM being pretty uninspired. It's not bad, nor in terms of production either in terms of composition. Rather, it's actually good, but still isn't something I would add to my playlist ever. For that kind of doomy ballads that are a trademark of the band I have already several, starting from Mazohyst of Decadence.

Edited by saiko

3 minutes ago, saiko said:

I'm a HARD stan for Dir, but TWOM is easily pretty uninspired. It's not bad, nor in terms of production either in terms of composition. Rather, it's actually good, but still isn't something I would add to my playlist ever. For that kind of doomy ballads that are a trademark of the band I have several starting from Mazohyst of Decadence.

I can see that. With the new direction, I would agree the TWOM sounds like it’s from TIW, but I wouldn’t call it uninspired if you ask me. 

MOD is great, but I sometimes skip it when I listen to Gauze. The Mode of Gauze version is also pretty good.