Spike760

Dir en grey

8 hours ago, geist said:

Arche was the reason I temporarily stopped listening to the band, The Insulated World is why I came back. Arche isn’t bad but there’s nothing going for it. In total it’s an album with cool parts but nothing holds it together for me maybe because there’s so much filler. 

Also, let’s stop pretending Kyos vocals weren’t awful around 2013-2015. With Dum Spiro Spero and Arche, Kyo began relying on those falsettos that he can’t reliably hit. They’re all over Arche and when they play these songs live, even songs from DSS, they don’t sound as good as they do on the record because they’re songs crafted in the studio with things Kyo could only do in the studio. 

The Insulated World is an album the band can actually perform live, sounds great live, and shows the band at a creative peak no one expected them to hit. TIW is better than Uroboros by a long shot and maybe even DSS largely because they’re dealing with more complicated song ideas. The material is just so much more interesting. The only downside is the production isn’t as great as Uroboros but I tend not to obsess over that stuff. 

The Insulated World is great and deserves to be in company with the likes of Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero. 

I feel like I'm the only one who ranks TIW above Arche. Arche and TMOAB (plz don't kill me) are like my least favourites. Vulgar is above Arche in my ranking, but it's only at the bottom because I enjoyed Withering to death more. 

Then again, my ranking for Diru's albums is very weird tbh lol. I'm just a filthy fanboy 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

Everyone has a different opinion and that's fine.

For me, TIW is an album I really want to like, but I don't love it.

The production is fairly poor for them, the mixing is shoddy, and the mastering is just godawful. Seeing the material live shows it in much better light. It's frustrating that they essentially ruined their studio versions like this, but they are what they are. I'm looking forward to seeing it live on Blu Ray. I figure that'll be more enjoyable than the garbage-disposal sound the album has.

It feels like they tried to make a TMOAB2; it's as though they forgot that they released the last three albums and went straight from TMOAB to this.  Despite this, some songs seem repeated from those previous albums, which to me shows lack of creativity. For example, Zetsuentai = VINUSHKA, and Keigaku no Yoku = DREAMBOX.

The pacing is also bizarre, with the first half of the album being utterly relentless. I found it hard to distinguish anything noteworthy in those first six songs on first listen, and it's taken until now for me to digest that material. I've gotten used to the sound now and have accepted it. However, I really hope they don't continue in this vein with poor mixing/mastering (point of contention; I actually feel that everything else in the catalogue sounds at least okay).

Regardless of how negative/critical I may be here, I do like all the songs on the album with the exception of Celebrate Empty Howls, which I just cannot seem to get into.

if u want to listen to dir en grey, but actually good? why, just listen to deftones..........

11 hours ago, saiko said:

VK is nowadays filled with so much shit that if it wasn't for Dir, Dimlim and Kizu MH would be pretty dead!

Hmmm, so you counted out Gazetto like that? 

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

if u want to listen to dir en grey, but actually good? why, just listen to deftones..........

They aren't remotely similar aside from the types of instruments they use... which are typical of a metal band anyway.

Deftones is excellent, though.

Kyo ofc looking the best. And Toshi comes second.

And Shinya... Just being Shinya. Boooooring. The only time he was being interesting in transition from VK days were from The Final era. I mean, he git her hair braided at least.

Edited by LIDL

3 minutes ago, LIDL said:

Kyo ofc looking the best. And Toshi comes second.

And Shinya... Just being Shinya. Boooooring. The only time he was being interesting in transition from VK days were from The Final era. I mean, he git her hair braided at least.

I liked him when he wore dreads if I recall correctly. I like his hair now tho. Very cute.

I found Kyo to be my favourite when it comes to current fashion. There’s actually someone on Instagram I follow who cosplay’s Kyo and by cosplay I mean like he literally looks like him. 

does shinya literally have some contractual clause that states he doesn't ever have to bother with changing his looks? it's so goddamn boring 

17 hours ago, Tokage said:

does shinya literally have some contractual clause that states he doesn't ever have to bother with changing his looks? it's so goddamn boring 

I can't imagine he was so stubborn about toning down their visuals in the past...