Spike760

Dir en grey

qxizfxws5ac21.jpg

22 years ago, on January 24, 1997, DIR EN GREY played their first ever show at Nagano J.

Kyo, Kaoru, Die and Shinya arrived the day before and met Toshiya in a parking lot.

They stayed at Toshiya's parents' house over night and on the next day, they booked two hours in a studio to rehearse.

In the evening, there was an event and the future members of DIR EN GREY performed on stage together for the first time.

Since they had not thought of a band name, they called themselves DEATHMASK and played around four Kuroyume cover songs.

Toshiya also performed with D+L as their support guitarist on that evening.
So since it's already the 24th in Japan, today marks 22 years since the true beginning of DIR EN GREY! 😊

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

qxizfxws5ac21.jpg

22 years ago, on January 24, 1997, DIR EN GREY played their first ever show at Nagano J.

Kyo, Kaoru, Die and Shinya arrived the day before and met Toshiya in a parking lot.

They stayed at Toshiya's parents' house over night and on the next day, they booked two hours in a studio to rehearse.

In the evening, there was an event and the future members of DIR EN GREY performed on stage together for the first time.

Since they had not thought of a band name, they called themselves DEATHMASK and played around four Kuroyume cover songs.

Toshiya also performed with D+L as their support guitarist on that evening.
So since it's already the 24th in Japan, today marks 22 years since the true beginning of DIR EN GREY! 😊

So was Toshiya actually a guitarist?

Now his way of playing bass arranges makes sense...

Isn't it too early? I don't recall the name of the tours anymore, but there were at least two of them done in support for Arche.  Even though they packed up touring for that album really quickly compared to Uroboros and DSS (which had its Budokan gig ~4.5 years after the album release), it took them around 1 year and two months at least.

In hindsight I have the suspicion it was actually so quick because they already had plans for the whole "one tour for each album" cashgrab shit they did for the aniversary so they just finished the whole Arche thing to be able to focus on that?

Edited by kuyashii
can't speak english

35 minutes ago, kuyashii said:

DSS (which had its Budokan gig ~4.5 years after the album release)

Well, it was more DSS+Unraveling+2 Arche singles. 

the ARCHE Budokan gigs sucked compared to the DSS and UROBOROS ones.

I enjoyed the extra ARCHE gig from the Utafumi single a lot more than the Budokan one.

Couldn't care less since I hated TIW, but I hope they don't pull off a X Japan again and play the same setlists on the two days like they did for the Arche gigs (they just changed the order for the second day). One of my favorite things about the DSS gig was how they "split" the songs across the two days, so it really gave the concerts an "event" feel. Except for the odd song exclusive to each day (and there was very little IIRC, like 2 or 3 for each day), if you watched one day of the Arche gig you don't really need to watch the other.

I'm almost sure they'll do the X again though, the album is quite short and there isn't much more they've done between Arche and TIW to fill up the spaces though. For DSS they had all the 8 Unraveling songs, plus Kiri to Mayu as a b-side and Sustain the Untruth to add to the setlist. Unless they play the D'erlanger cover (which I doubt they'll ever do) they only have Ash and the stupid remakes from TIW as "recent material" to add to the setlist now. 

I think they'd release one live-friendly single before wrapping it up I guess?

Edited by kuyashii

30 minutes ago, kuyashii said:

I'm almost sure they'll do the X again though, the album is quite short and there isn't much more they've done between Arche and TIW to fill up the spaces though. For DSS they had all the 8 Unraveling songs, plus Kiri to Mayu as a b-side and Sustain the Untruth to add to the setlist. Unless they play the D'erlanger cover (which I doubt they'll ever do) they only have Ash and the stupid remakes from TIW as "recent material" to add to the setlist now. 

I think they'd release one live-friendly single before wrapping it up I guess?

Well, they also can include remakes from VoS.  And, maybe one new single+another re-recording.

Edited by EvilHippy

They'll do an "album release commemoration" live on March 20. I can't recall them doing the same for their previous albums. Could mean that they won't be doing a Budokan show for TIW.

I hope they're unreleasing the embarrassing album to announce an attempt at making decent music again on that date!!

53 minutes ago, blacktooth said:

I'm calling it: we're in for a one-track mini album full of acoustic sounds and soul searching

that's sukekiyo x

4 hours ago, Seelentau said:

They'll do an "album release commemoration" live on March 20. I can't recall them doing the same for their previous albums. Could mean that they won't be doing a Budokan show for TIW.

"OMG they are totally disbanding this time"

5 hours ago, blacktooth said:

I'm calling it: we're in for a one-track mini album full of acoustic sounds and soul searching. I'm also likely to be 99% wrong on this.

Seriously though 100% I want they to go as soft as possible. No screaming, no skank beats, no downtuned riffage, no exaggerated kyopera. Just pretty, wholesome music like "Higeki wa..." or "Namamekashiki...". The heavy stuff wore out its welcome.

Edited by kuyashii

I have the issue of Massive from last October I think where they had like a 50 page DEG feature. I’ve only actually skimmed it but Kyo said that they have some left over songs that they didn’t use on The Insulated World because they were too “medium” (in terms of speed or heaviness I think, more like Arche’s style but they wanted to differentiate this album from that one so they made more aggressive songs) but he doesn’t know whether or not they will release them.

Edited by Kelrya

On 1/29/2019 at 4:08 PM, kuyashii said:

"OMG they are totally disbanding this time"

Seriously though 100% I want they to go as soft as possible. No screaming, no skank beats, no downtuned riffage, no exaggerated kyopera. Just pretty, wholesome music like "Higeki wa..." or "Namamekashiki...". The heavy stuff wore out its welcome.

I love their heavy stuff but also give me an album that sounds like Kaishun pls ty 

been listening to the DISC 3 of Vestiges,The unraveling mini,and the heaviest tracks of DSS,and GOD,their deathmetal era was so good.that production was criminally brutal,so much that makes your skin crawl,they were amazing.unfortunately,TIW still not flowing well to me,the only thing i could enjoy was Aka,and unless they release a remastered version of the album,i don't think it will ever grow on me.Usually i need time to digest an album,however,i keep retrying and revisiting and still the same...shit.

Edited by Manji 卍

Back when they were still on their prime, their heavy stuff was virtually unbeatable. Their attempt at making "heavy" stuff with TIW was just bad, dumbed down and annoying. I remember someone here saying that they should leave the heavy stuff to younger bands because they're doing it better than DeG now and it saddens me, but I agree. I honestly doubt anyone else will ever come up with something the level of Uroboros or DSS, but a lot of bands are pulling the whole extreme/alternative/prog metal(core) thingy better than DeG did with TIW.

9 hours ago, Kelrya said:

I have the issue of Massive from last October I think where they had like a 50 page DEG feature. I’ve only actually skimmed it but Kyo said that they have some left over songs that they didn’t use on The Insulated World because they were too “medium” (in terms of speed or heaviness I think, more like Arche’s style but they wanted to differentiate this album from that one so they made more aggressive songs) but he doesn’t know whether or not they will release them.

I think it's possible, they've "resurected" older songs before (albeit in heavily different forms sometimes). "Conceived Sorrow" and "Revelation of Mankind" were included on the albums that followed the ones they were originally composed for, for example.

I hope they remaster all their albums (maybe not all of them, Uroboros' remaster is great and I don't think DSS needs to be changed) when they hit the 25th mark. I really wished they did that for the 20th year anniversary thingy instead of all the "Mode of" DVDs. It would be arguably a better cash-grab for them since it's virtually consensus that most of their music is really badly produced (and due to the "Mode of" DVDs being of a very limited run.

20 hours ago, Manji 卍 said:

been listening to the DISC 3 of Vestiges,The unraveling mini,and the heaviest tracks of DSS,and GOD,their deathmetal era was so good.that production was criminally brutal,so much that makes your skin crawl,they were amazing.unfortunately,TIW still not flowing well to me,the only thing i could enjoy was Aka,and unless they release a remastered version of the album,i don't think it will ever grow on me.Usually i need time to digest an album,however,i keep retrying and revisiting and still the same...shit.

same!! I can't listen to tiw without skipping a majority of the songs.  personally, tiw sounds like their most calculated/chart-friendly album thus far.  nothing wrong with that, but from dir en grey I always expect more, like that "skin crawling" effect their music usually has.  

was considering seeing their live in march, but decided against it because they'll probably mostly play songs from tiw.