Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, Kelrya said:

Yeah my gf is Japanese but she mostly just listens to American pop music, although she had at least heard of DEG before we met. The only VK she listens to is L’arc and hide I think. I have one Japanese friend who listens to metal so he knows them but the rest of my Japanese friends have never heard of them. Strangely a lot of karaoke places in Japan have their music, I like going with a group of people and seeing their reaction to me singing Different Sense or something lol. I can try to translate that commercial later when I have time.

I so agree. When the Internet says that VK scene isn't actually a LITTLE well-known in Japan is something difficult to believe to us who have VK on their daily basis, but yeah, even filling a two-days Budokan every tour finale makes you just "popular"... I mean, you actually are popular, but in terms of 1 in a scale of 10. Let's say you are known but ot relevant. Average pople in Japan actually know what VK is, but it seems so weird to them that they have literally zero real interest in getting into it. All they do is to listen to the big 90s classics that left their mark with fire into the pop charts (X, hide, Luna Sea, L'arc, Glay, and MAYBE some "Melty Love" by Shazna... and you stop counting). Gazette made their name into the Japanese metal scene, though, but general Japanese metal audience just have this really sexist predjuice about "VK being for teenage girls", also many of them just look down over the local scene and tend to like only foreign music (this last opinion makes me instantly puke; god, how I wish I lived in Japan just to get really involved with all those awesome artists they have...).

(Source: Japanese people I met in real life).

Edited by saiko

Btw, Kyo seems to have published a child story book with drawing made by himself. Apparently he went to Sanrio Co. (a.k.a Hello Kitty developers) to proppose them the idea of work it togheter (???) but they turned it off instantly (WTF was Kyo thinking). Here's the news: https://www.asahi.com/sp/and_M/interest/entertainment/Cfettp01811252969.html?fbclid=IwAR1RlrqK8p4onNLeupWuD7fL0CtmjZYnW-7j8YL7O-TlVOfexzIo4o68EA0 

My japanese is very bad, so maybe I could actually misundertand something. Help, senpais!

P.D.: MFW Dir is still considered a visual-kei act for the Japanese media... Well, of course I do it too, but when I recall the many times they tried to deny beign part of the scene... lol

7 hours ago, saiko said:

also many of them just look down over the local scene and tend to like only foreign music (this last opinion makes me instantly puke; god, how I wish I lived in Japan just to get really involved with all those awesome artists they have...).

(Source: Japanese people I met in real life).

Why do you feel sick about this? That happened everywhere. Like, Isn't the opposite happen to some of us here? Looking down on local western music and only like foreign music, in this case, Japanese VK music? 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, LIDL said:

Why do you feel sick about this? That happened everywhere. Like, Isn't the opposite happen to some of us here? Looking down on local western music and only like foreign music, in this case, Japanese VK music? 😂😂😂

I said:

(god, how I wish I lived in Japan just to get really involved with all those awesome artists they have...).

Btw, in my case, the love for VK hasn't made me look down on local music; all over the contrary.  Tastes.

14 hours ago, saiko said:

Btw, Kyo seems to have published a child story book with drawing made by himself. Apparently he went to Sanrio Co. (a.k.a Hello Kitty developers) to proppose them the idea of work it togheter (???) but they turned it off instantly (WTF was Kyo thinking). Here's the news: https://www.asahi.com/sp/and_M/interest/entertainment/Cfettp01811252969.html?fbclid=IwAR1RlrqK8p4onNLeupWuD7fL0CtmjZYnW-7j8YL7O-TlVOfexzIo4o68EA0 

My japanese is very bad, so maybe I could actually misundertand something. Help, senpais!

Yeah you have pretty much summed up that news article. Can't believe he went to Sanrio though! lol The article quotes Kyo: "They (Sanrio) may want to avoid a slightly scary character. I don't like normal happy endings. I will publish this for people who resonate with the realism it depicts." And it also says he may do a sequel or create a mascot character ("yuru kyara") I would love to see his yuru-kyara XD

And the article opens with an introduction of Kyo as "vocalist of visual-kei rock band, DIR EN GREY". So yeah, DEG is still only recognised as a vk band.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:27 PM, FOSCOR70 said:

hey does anybody here have any idea about what kind of public image does dir en grey have in japan?

i somehow stumbled upon this official advertisement video about diru's 28 single while randomly searching diru videos on YouTube....

im totally dumbstruck....this kinda ad dosnt suit deg at all lol or are they actually  so fking popular in japan that even little kids knows about them? which i dont find nice as some of their pv should never be seen by little kids like if i saw that obscure vid while i was 12 damn i would have some real scary nightmares....im talking about thier ero-goru stuff.

And if possible could anybody be kind enough to translate wtf are they saying in the vid?

Oh yeah I forgot to translate that Utafumi teaser lol.

Kid: *Screaming*

“Can you not become one?” (I think he’s acting like he’s Kyo hyping up the crowd) 

*Screaming*

Mom: “Yoshio, you’re good at (singing/screaming) Dir en grey.”

Kid: (Something like “I’m letting out my pain” or something? It’s kinda hard for me to understand him here but he for sure says the word pain).

“Amazing, right?”

Mom: “I wonder if you’ll do an encore?”

Kid: “Okay!”

*Hageshisa starts playing*

according to cdjapan top 100 sales of 2018, dir en grey shows up 3 times #51 with Ningen wo Kaburu, #24 with Vestige of Scratches, #13 with the Insulated World. not limited to just music sales and #1-10 still hasnt been revealed. 

Accordion to setlist.fm, Kyo passed out during THE DEEPER VILENESS at last night's show.

Edit, from kyotaku:

I wasn’t at the show, but from fans report there was an accident during Deeper Vileness (middle of encore part).

Kyo fell and was lying down in front of the drum stand. Some fans reported it was due to hitting his head while headbanging (not confirmed).

Others noticed singing was gone and started checking on him.

Before C Kyo stood up by himself and said he lost consciousness for a bit, but he’s fine. He finished the encore set.

Edited by Seelentau

yeah yeah very funny

On a different note, in egnirys, does someone else here Kyo sing something between "Hone no zui kara" and "GOD GOD GOD G O D" (in the second to last verse)?

To me it appears as if the word(s) were censored with a sound effect, and in the band score, it gives ✕✕ in its place...

Edited by Seelentau

Yeah, right before the rapping part, there's some loud sound, but you can clearly hear him sing someting beneath that sound:

"hone no zui kara" PENG (doukan?) "GOD GOD GOD G O D"

First of all I don’t even hear a sound covering anything up. Also, I don’t think there are any extra lyrics there, Kyo is just enunciating really badly. I hear “hone no zui kara god, god god god G-O-D”

Yup, but according to the band score, he sings "hone no zui kara X X // GOD GOD GOD G-O-D", and the only other time I've seen those XX used so far is in the sheet lyrics for THE IIID EMPIRE, where they censor 魔人婦穴. So I think there might be something censored there, but well, I doubt it'll ever be revealed :D

Edited by Seelentau

There’s no X X in the lyrics book for Macabre. Band scores are weird anyway. Usually some outside source tabs the stuff out. Is that the band score that attempted to tab out the Egnirys guitar solo for a few bars then quit?