Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, LEY said:

Side note: there is a performance of Rasetsukoku on YT and the commentary at the end is random and hilarious AF 

Oh yes, from the wonderful Age Quod Agis DVDs that also brought us breakfast seagull.

after giving them some time to stew I'm pretty sure I like all three remakes better than the originals

I definitely like them much better than the Vestige of Scratches remakes

BEST DIR EN GREY PV AESTHETIC? discuss

(quality of the songs themselves doesn't matter, i'm talkin solely about visuals and video concepts here)

personally i still think dozing green is high up there among their best, dunno what it is about that one, but everything just feels good, even the kinda out of nowhere stop motion bits

Edited by Tokage

For Toshiya, Myaku MV look, it's iconic.

For Kaoru, Raison D'Etre

For Kyo, Filth, The final and saku will always be my fave

for Die, Obscure probably

For Shinya, The Final

As for MV in general, I enjoyed Filth, The Final, saku, kodou, Clever sleazoid, ranunculus, and Drained Away. And although it seems basic, Ryojoku No Ame MV seems interesting to me with all thise night vision going on. If they were really shoots the MV  in the dark or minimum lighting, I would like to see how did they make it work.

Edited by LIDL

47 minutes ago, Tokage said:

(quality of the songs themselves doesn't matter, i'm talkin solely about visuals and video concepts here)

personally i still think dozing green is high up there among their best, dunno what it is about that one, but everything just feels good, even the kinda out of nowhere stop motion bits

It’s those silhouetted shots of the band playing that make that PV great. 

I like the Uroko PV for a similar reason. I love the shots of each band member playing in those boxes. Glass Skin and Lotus are cool (is Glass Skin on a PV collection? I feel like it isn’t...)

oh yeah, I like the flesh eating bug theme of Hageshisa. 

On 10/7/2018 at 4:52 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

Yeah, I think the VULGAR 1st press edition just has a mini DVD containing only a censored version of OBSCURE. That video is available in full on AVERAGE PSYCHO, so it's a bit pointless.

Not sure about any differences between MISSA and six Ugly.

First press for Vulgar does also come with a nice slipcase and a colored booklet with, I think, alternate/additional artwork.

Six Ugly comes in a digipack case with a secret mini lyrics booklet that's hidden inside the cover flap. You have to slit the side open.

Missa, I think there's no difference with the first press East West Japan release.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:23 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

This is because the album was (presumably) mixed specifically to be played in that kind of context. Reaching a wider audience with a loud record that still sounds okay on a rubbish system.

This kind of mixing philosophy should never exist. The listening experience should not have to be brought down for everyone else just because people like listen to music on mediums where high quality sound isn't available. That's completely backwards. 

4 hours ago, Tokage said:

BEST DIR EN GREY PV AESTHETIC?

dead tree (like literally far far far ahead of their entire videography aesthetic/storytelling-wise)

all vulgar videos

zan

their entire recent videography is boring a.f., I hope whoever directs for them gets out of their creative rut

Edited by nekkichi

23 hours ago, Ro plz said:

Delete this and PM me your location. 

I've seen them twice here in the states and the setlists have been more "colorful" than what EU is getting now.

I've seen em twice in the states too lol and literally the only thing they had over the EU setlist rn is Vinushka when I saw them, both times

I'd rather take the EU one over the times I saw them in NY and Philly though lol

After all of the throwback tours the thrill of a "surprise" track in the encore has worn off. That said, I have no big complaints about the setlists when I've seen them in the US. HADES was a big surprise when I saw them in 2013. They did a better performance of Karasu during the sound check than the actual set though...

2 hours ago, blacktooth said:

After all of the throwback tours the thrill of a "surprise" track in the encore has worn off. That said, I have no big complaints about the setlists when I've seen them in the US. HADES was a big surprise when I saw them in 2013. They did a better performance of Karasu during the sound check than the actual set though...

You bring up a good point about the throwback tours. The songs ive witnessed live are ones ive seen a shit ton of times before on DVD/YT and I also kept tabs on the sets before ive seen em in my city. Somehow I was still pretty blown away and "shocked" when they played X and Y song for some reason. I think I just got so sucked into it that what i was expecting just went out the window. 

8 hours ago, platy said:

I'm happy with that set list. It means I get to hear phenomenon live and that's a dream tbh. 

That’s one of the Arche tracks that doesn’t translate live very well though. 

4 hours ago, Saishu said:

That’s one of the Arche tracks that doesn’t translate live very well though. 

I can already imagine the mess. But still. I can dream. 

so like ladies what is ur ideal timeline for this messy album era if we could turn the clock back and re:vision it

mine would be:

— 詩踏み EP (title song + TIW album remakes)

— 人間を被る (same contents)

— The Insulated World (mini album) as follows:

- Downfall

- 人間を被る

- 赫

- 谿壑の欲

- Devote My Life (limited to the 1st press Kaoru neckbeard stan edition)

- 絶縁体

Ranunculus (next album single + either shitty live recs for b-sides or RUBBISH HEAP minus the embarrassing intro)

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

so like ladies what is ur ideal timeline for this messy album era if we could turn the clock back and re:vision it

mine would be:

— 詩踏み EP (title song + TIW album remakes)

— 人間を被る (same contents)

— The Insulated World (mini album) as follows:

- Downfall

- 人間を被る

- 赫

- 谿壑の欲

- Devote My Life (limited to the 1st press Kaoru neckbeard stan edition)

- 絶縁体

Ranunculus (next album single + either shitty live recs for b-sides or RUBBISH HEAP minus the embarrassing intro)

Kinda good, but what about Followers?

28 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

Kinda good, but what about Followers?

it reminds me too much of 流転の塔 with a sukekiyo chorus (and I can't stand skk for the most part), so ummmm.... no

On 10/8/2018 at 6:43 PM, Tokage said:

I always liked Kyo's Drain Away look. And of course all the Gauze-era stuff is very iconic.

What about worst/funniest? Kaoru's bug head/helmet thing in Filth is pretty funny

Edited by StriderSubzero

47 minutes ago, StriderSubzero said:

What about worst/funniest?

冷血なりせば and remade zan PVs are, like, on a DIY youtube fanvideo levels of awful

grief is a piece of shit

out of old eras, unknown despair lost video is p uninspired

Edited by nekkichi

still waiting for someone to speak ill on the Garden PV

i remember reading in an interview a long time ago they were so poor they strapped the camera to bamboo sticks to film the moving aerial shots lmao