Spike760

Dir en grey

A lot of people prefer the original because of the mix

For me it would be a selection of tracks from both

Original Uroboros! I love it's raw, analog and 'weird' mixing. Also, I'm a big fan of bands that bury the vocals in the mix or have them on volumes that are lower than the standards for popular music, so I'm ok with how the vocals are mixed: when vocals are not the predominant instrument, I'm more than happy. Also, the drums are weird but feel real, which is always a plus. I also enjoy the muddy guitars and think they really work in the mix overall. Lastly, and most important, the original version has a vibe that's difficult to describe... Somekind of 'ancient' and 'arcane' atmosphere, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, I cannot stand the remix/remaster: that atmosphere I tried to describe is completely lost thanks to the clean and polished sound. My main problem comes from the drum samples. I do not like them: they sound tiny and don't have the same kind of impact that the original ones got. It's obvious they tried to match the modern metal/core-esque perfection of Dum Spiro Spero and there was heavy editing/triggering on drums and guitars. I also do not like the extra content: the extended 'Sa Bir' does nothing for me, same for 'Bugaboo (Respira)'. Also, the inclusion of 'Hydra 666' breaks the flow of the album for me.

However, the remix/remaster is not totally bad: there are really amazing things, like the beautiful drum panning and how everything breathes better than on the original. I just don't think the crystal clear production fits the experimental and erratic nature of the album. As Asakusa hinted, a sound that could be something in between both versions could be really interesting. I like polished and well produced/mixed albums, but I would never trade that for atmosphere!

What's the point of initial/first press limited editions? I can't understand why they're doing it, when you can buy Deluxe one and have everything.

Some people may not afford those fancy editions, or need it, so they give another version that also came with few bonus tracks. Also these editions usually collectible since once gone its gone forever.

20 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

What's the point of initial/first press limited editions? I can't understand why they're doing it, when you can buy Deluxe one and have everything.

The point is to get people to buy it when it comes out. Most album sales metrics are based upon sales immediately following or a short time after an albums release. Most record labels worldwide do something to incentivize release date album purchases (this equates to video games and most entertainment media aswell. Looks at all the games that give preorder bonuses and early access etc etc). It also gives the hardcore fans something special for their dedication. Though if I dont get something right away or to was release so far in the past that I wasnt following a band, I have never had an issue finding a first press copy of a release through the usual channels. 

Edited by Dyingmoments

56 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

first press is what smaller bands typically do if they aren't sure their release will sell that well; if it does, the label orders extra, typically with more economic packaging bc. the stans who care about this would buy the initial ed. anyway.

sometimes (I'm not even sure it's even been the case with Deg because they went major prior to their first full album), second/third press editions have different tracks added, or have re-recordings/remasters of the same material if band suddenly can afford better production.

deluxe editions on the other hand is what bigger bands do because they can afford throwing extra shit in for a higher price-tag;

in case with Deg, it looks like their way to fit in the type A-B-C-D-XYZ trend of Japanese music market - they don't push single types that hard, but release several versions of the albums that all work twds the chart placement at the end.

I don't mean to be the first one bitching about this.its just a very first impression...

I'm listening the album right now,and seriously guys,what happened to their guitar tone?I mean... it's sounds kinda muddy and buried. Compare with the re records of vestiges,and you may understand what I mean

Edited by Manji 卍

On first listen it sounds like they drastically increased the volume of Kyo's vocals, so maybe that has something to do with it? I'm not sure; but I wouldn't rush to judgement until physical copies start arriving.

Everyone here complained about the mixing on GazettE's NINTH when it was ripped from iTunes; but once everyone got their physical copies they gave glowing reviews. Not to say this is a "bad rip"; but I highly doubt you can maintain perfect sound quality ripping and then uploading on the Internet.

Edited by geist

Upon first listen, I'm really not feeling Devote My Life and Rubbish Heap at all, but everything else is p good 

Feels like there's a lot more backup vocals from the rest of the band on this one than usual, not sure though

3 hours ago, Manji 卍 said:

I don't mean to be the first one bitching about this.its just a very first impression...

I'm listening the album right now,and seriously guys,what happened to their guitar tone?I mean... it's sounds kinda muddy and buried. Compare with the re records of vestiges,and you may understand what I mean

YES! I'm feeling the same... The distorted guitars sound really compressed and have some sort of clipping. I cannot stand them! 

21 hours ago, Rosner said:

YES! I'm feeling the same... The distorted guitars sound really compressed and have some sort of clipping. I cannot stand them! 

Exactly.i don't get it,since the last re records on Vestiges were so well produced,the guitars were louder, punchier and really enjoyable... I even checked my music player settings thinking that it was messed up

They sound 'broken'! I cannot find any better adjective to describe them. When lowering the volume, they sound better, but when turning it up, they are unbearable. I don't know what happened here. I was happy when I listened to them on 'Ranunculus', but know I think I prefer the ones on 'Ningen...'s single, even if they are so dull. I agree with you Manji 卍, 'Vestiges' has an overall better production. It sounds raw, yes, but if they were aiming for a more 'live' and unpolished sound for 'The Insulated World', that kind of production would have benefited the album a lot!

Best listening experience so far has been in my car with the bass set at one notch above the flat default and the treble two notches above the flat default. I get a more full bodied lower end  and the cymbals are brighter and more defined. 

8 hours ago, Saishu said:

Best listening experience so far has been in my car with the bass set at one notch above the flat default and the treble two notches above the flat default. I get a more full bodied lower end  and the cymbals are brighter and more defined. 

Just posted this on the album's official thread:

Listened to the album today on my garbage cellphone with the worst earbuds I've got... And I'm amazed but how good it sounds!

Normally, I would listen to most modern albums at full volume (95% or 100%), but I'm listening to 'The Insulated World' at about 70% loud and it sounds really good. The guitars don't overwhelm the drums and everything sounds controlled. The snare cracks really good and there's some good dynamics between each instrument.

Also, I would always listen albums at 95%/100% in order to avoid any external noises bleeding into my ears, but 70% is enough for this album. This is REALLY weird. I'm surprised that I got the best listened experience for the album with the worst audio settings ever...

This is INCREDIBLY weird. 

it's supposed to be listened to on shitty cell phone speakers because life is suffering 

btw that Wake re-rec is better than the original x

(i might be slightly biased tho cuz the rip of Macabre i have is absolute shit)

Edited by Tokage