Spike760

Dir en grey

6 hours ago, blacktooth said:

Was this show in the middle of one of their endless tours?

Well, yes and no. The date before was May 1, so he had almost two months to prepare and rest until June 23.

novel idea - they should hire Mao from the X3t33n to do all the live vocal work, which would mean no derivative bullshit bijuaru-kei from them and no struggle whizzing killing every performance from Deg

it's not like anyone from the crowd will tell the difference between two

Still think DEG should go analog prog rock and Kyo should primarily stick to his low-to-mid range with the occasional falsetto for color. Like I said, fucking reign that shit in fellas. Try to age gracefully 

On 8/23/2018 at 6:51 AM, Disposable said:

Jesus that's fucking rank. I want to say yes, but for some reason I recall these, almost wing-like things at the far ends of the D and Y. There exists a shirt for this tour ( Unwavering something of tomorrow? ) with just a straight up band pic with the logo. It was easily the worst shirt from them I've ever seen. This was at least for the 2010 London show

edit: found it 

19263_original.jpg

Beautiful

On 8/24/2018 at 5:37 AM, Disposable said:

in real talk all this talk about post-core amphibian dainty-punk is getting very tiresome, especially since the main proponents of creating these inane subgenres and categories and marketing gimmicks come from people who've been listening to metal for two weeks and think they're now on the up and up for discovering ritual ambient or some shit like that. 

A band like Dir en grey is impossible to strictly, or at least in a very definitive way, to categorise because they're a combination of two very amorphous musical traditions of visual kei and metal anyway. Their nu-metal base acquired somewhere midway through their career has been almost completely transformed thrice over due to the accumulations of sounds and techniques they've kept on acquiring over the years, and while visual kei is a strange case in of itself ( like, you can still hear the influence of X and Luna sea from almost every band, namely in vocal melodies and how guitar solos function, or that even in 2018 a vk song exceeding 2 minutes in length would not be caught dead without a chorus ) Dir en grey is unique even within that context. They've had progressive elements and done weird shit through mazohyst to hotarubi and then revisited these techniques again and again later on ‑ all the while having songs seemingly contrast in genre on the same release; and despite this there's still a common thread and heritage running through their stuff, but it just defies simple category since they're quite unique. Even if what I just wrote doesn't make any sense, the point still stands that there's else you could call THE UNRAVELING other than visual kei or alternative rock/metal, and neither of those in today's context mean much of anything. 

I'm very happy reading this. First, Disposable is actually acknowledging that there certainly IS a particular sound for visual kei (And that is a hard thing to realize, considering the fact that no matter how the majority of the fanbase try to simply deny its existence, or else try to "explain" it reducing itself to nonsensical and very vast categories like "Japanese goth" or even "Japanese metal", or ways like that). Second, he also gives a special place to this kind of sound into Dir's arrangement genealogy till today.

Happy.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:51 PM, Disposable said:

Jesus that's fucking rank. I want to say yes, but for some reason I recall these, almost wing-like things at the far ends of the D and Y. There exists a shirt for this tour ( Unwavering something of tomorrow? ) with just a straight up band pic with the logo. It was easily the worst shirt from them I've ever seen. This was at least for the 2010 London show

edit: found it 

19263_original.jpg

oh shit. I have this shirt. :)

I don't know if any of you were around degbox in the months leading up to DSS's release, but does anyone recall those bizarre vocal covers of Vinushka and Different Sense youtube videos that got thrown around?

YES! Looks like most traces of him are gone from the internet. Shame, for the guy was a legend.

oooh, found the audio

Edited by blacktooth

I don’t remember how I found his videos. Might have been the rabbit hole of DEG covers on YouTube. I remember he deleted everything on his channel, started doing covers again, then just disappeared entirely. He was truly an Internet treasure. 

Is the original single release of Sustain the Untruth the worst sounding mix in DEG’s entire catalog? There is literally nothing but noise in the chorus, yet the verses are mostly fine. Especially with the way Toshiya is placed right in the middle; he really pops (pun slightly intended). 

You know how Shinya always counts in the rest of the band with a hi-hat live? Why doesn't he do that after the intro on Utafumi?

Edited by blacktooth

Finally!!! Ranunculus preview:

Ok, I wasn't expecting that! I thought it was going to be a mellow ballad, really calm and depressive... This snippets makes it sound like something closer to 'Lotus' or 'Rinkaku', which is amazing! Really digging the visuals of the video, and also really digging the positive vibes of the song. Everything reminds me of a fairytale....

Also, maybe it's because I was in the studio all day long and thus I have my ears really fatigued, but... Don't you think the mix sounds way better than on 'Utafumi' and 'Ningen...'?! I like the dynamics between the snare and the drum, and the toms sound more controlled now. The rhythm guitars also sound more pleasant, at least to my (tired) ears. Here's hoping the album has a good or at least bearable sound!