Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, Disposable said:

I miss their awful deathcore logo from 2010. I couldn't even find it on google anymore ( can someone else try ), but it was definitely on shirts and stuff when I saw them live around that time. Even if it was fucking bad it was still appropriate, because I remember a lot of scenekids at that show with people playing metalcore from their phone speakers etc. Good times 

https://goo.gl/images/mgLkMT

You mean this one?

11 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

https://goo.gl/images/mgLkMT

You mean this one?

Jesus that's fucking rank. I want to say yes, but for some reason I recall these, almost wing-like things at the far ends of the D and Y. There exists a shirt for this tour ( Unwavering something of tomorrow? ) with just a straight up band pic with the logo. It was easily the worst shirt from them I've ever seen. This was at least for the 2010 London show

edit: found it 

19263_original.jpg

Edited by Disposable

The cover art looks like the type that belongs to some kind of djent band obsessed with science or whatever 

Would be cool if it's some kinda glitter cover that does weird optical illusions when you move it.

But they haven't done glittery shit since Taiyou, so I don't expect too much.

This one’s going to take a while to grow on me, if ever. Even worse, I doubt their material on this album will have a matching sound to the cover. 

I hope they surprise me. 

35 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

Would be cool if it's some kinda glitter cover that does weird optical illusions when you move it.

But they haven't done glittery shit since Taiyou, so I don't expect too much.

That’s what I’m saying. Something this goddamn ugly needs to do some crazy Tool shit like a lenticular cover or have stereoscopic 3D glasses built into the packaging. 

Years of dark, muted colors to this. It almost looks like a CGI render of the Glass Skin cover. 

Agree completely with it being a mix of Tool + Björk style. Looks pretty awful though. It's like a futuristic Momo on LSD or something. Good catch on the comparision to the font of In Flames' a Sense of Purpose. It reminds me of Motionless in White's logo too.

I was expecting them to explore that insect theme they had with the From Depression to... DVDs :( It looked so cool! Haven't really liked anything they used for cover art (when it comes to studio releases) since DSS to be quite frank.

can somebody please tell me in which metal genre/subgenre does each of the following 'dir en grey' albums primarily falls into?

marrow of the bone

uroboros

dum spiro spero

unravelling

thanks.

Edited by FOSCOR70

2 hours ago, The Moon said:

no x 

Um... Why? And why did your post for 4 likes? It's like i did something bad by asking.

Edited by FOSCOR70

in real talk all this talk about post-core amphibian dainty-punk is getting very tiresome, especially since the main proponents of creating these inane subgenres and categories and marketing gimmicks come from people who've been listening to metal for two weeks and think they're now on the up and up for discovering ritual ambient or some shit like that. 

A band like Dir en grey is impossible to strictly, or at least in a very definitive way, to categorise because they're a combination of two very amorphous musical traditions of visual kei and metal anyway. Their nu-metal base acquired somewhere midway through their career has been almost completely transformed thrice over due to the accumulations of sounds and techniques they've kept on acquiring over the years, and while visual kei is a strange case in of itself ( like, you can still hear the influence of X and Luna sea from almost every band, namely in vocal melodies and how guitar solos function, or that even in 2018 a vk song exceeding 2 minutes in length would not be caught dead without a chorus ) Dir en grey is unique even within that context. They've had progressive elements and done weird shit through mazohyst to hotarubi and then revisited these techniques again and again later on ‑ all the while having songs seemingly contrast in genre on the same release; and despite this there's still a common thread and heritage running through their stuff, but it just defies simple category since they're quite unique. Even if what I just wrote doesn't make any sense, the point still stands that there's else you could call THE UNRAVELING other than visual kei or alternative rock/metal, and neither of those in today's context mean much of anything. 

Edited by Disposable

5 hours ago, FOSCOR70 said:

can somebody please tell me in which metal genre/subgenre does each of the following 'dir en grey' albums primarily falls into?

marrow of the bone

uroboros

dum spiro spero

unravelling

thanks.

Vkei

3 hours ago, FOSCOR70 said:

Um... Why? And why did your post for 4 likes? It's like i did something bad by asking.

Ignore him and his antics, he's just joking^^

But you can't really put their albums into set genres. Sometimes even single songs are from more than one genre.

I mean, you could probably call it experimental metal, but only because they experiment with various metal genres all the time.

When I was first getting into Dir en grey (and Mucc too for that matter), something that really appealed to me was that they don't stick to a single or genre in any of their works. Sure, each album tends to have its own tone but the tracks themselves are by no means homogenized. 

If you're trying to tag and organize your music library, sure it sucks. But I'd rather not be able to categorize them so easily.

3 hours ago, Seelentau said:

https://vk.com/video-558881_456239646

lunatic fest. 2018 live

oh hey, another sustain the untruth

'Ningen...' sounds good live! The chorus sounds weak, but I think that's because its heavily layered on the single. Also, it may get better with time, just like it happened with a lot of other songs. I'm digging the backing vocals! 

Ningen sounds pretty good live besides the chorus being way different. Kyo seems to often sing the backing harmony rather than the main melody live like in Uroko which kinda ruins the melody.

That's a really good intro tune. Reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Was this show in the middle of one of their endless tours? I can't think of any other reason Kyo would sound so hoarse at the opening of a set. Dude needs some elm tea.

Edited by blacktooth

Man, Ningen has such a killer opening riff. That groove fucking kills, and I love it as an opener. This is definitely more of a live song. 

That performance of Audience Killer Loop was great, and that was one of the best live versions of 詩踏み I’ve seen. STU never sounds good live no matter how many times they insist on playing it, mostly because Kyo can’t or won’t perform the verses in a way that remotely resembles the studio version which isn’t even that great of a song to begin with.