Spike760

Dir en grey

That video of Kyo doesn't even filmed properly, I guess he hated it but got no choice 😂😂

If the tickets really aren't selling, maybe they need to expand to wider audience, maybe Europe got bored of them? But there are lotsa more Asian countries aside from the usual China, HK, Taiwan, and Korea who are yearning for them for years. Visit Singapore or Indonesia, or such, do whatever 

I mean this trend is consistent that even the top names don't draw like they used to. In Helsinki The Gazette in 2013 sold out in a day, but 2016 they still had tickets at the door I believe, and it was the same venue. The addition of shows in Russia didn't help though. 

Dir en grey is doing the same venue as The Gazette and since there's tickets still left I reckon it's not going to sell out. 2011 sold out quick, but this time the venue is bigger. I wonder if they upscaled everywhere else too 

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the Facebook attendance for this show is pretty bad with around 350 people attending. This would barely be a third of the venue they performed at the last time. 

Edited by Disposable

IF the band is having a tough time selling tickets -- to my knowledge there is 0 indication of this -- they have no one to blame but themselves. Their international strategy and presence for the past 6-7 years has been virtually non-existent, and as time goes by people have naturally forgotten about them. 

There's 0 buzz surrounding this band. Once upon a time they were willing to tour abroad as a support act for bigger bands -- why aren't they willing to do that today? Today they expect to do a headlining tour abroad and all the fans they were gaining in 2008-2009 will start magically showing up. That's not how music promotion works, especially when general audiences are so fickle that they can love a band one minute, and be gone the next. 

The reality is, if Dir en grey wants to expand their audience in the West they have to put in the work to make it happen. Having a Facebook page isn't enough. Having your members make vids on YouTube promoting your tour isn't enough. You need to bring that music to audiences that haven't heard your music before, and lately -- for the past 8 years or so -- they've had 0 interest in doing that.

19 hours ago, Disposable said:

you can tell the tickets aren't selling when they even had to force kyo to do one of those 

can you link the video with kyo please?

can't wait for them to tour the entirety of Ukraine on their next European tour following the proven successful models of Sana and co

3 hours ago, geist said:

IF the band is having a tough time selling tickets -- to my knowledge there is 0 indication of this -- they have no one to blame but themselves. Their international strategy and presence for the past 6-7 years has been virtually non-existent, and as time goes by people have naturally forgotten about them. 

There's 0 buzz surrounding this band. Once upon a time they were willing to tour abroad as a support act for bigger bands -- why aren't they willing to do that today? Today they expect to do a headlining tour abroad and all the fans they were gaining in 2008-2009 will start magically showing up. That's not how music promotion works, especially when general audiences are so fickle that they can love a band one minute, and be gone the next. 

The reality is, if Dir en grey wants to expand their audience in the West they have to put in the work to make it happen. Having a Facebook page isn't enough. Having your members make vids on YouTube promoting your tour isn't enough. You need to bring that music to audiences that haven't heard your music before, and lately -- for the past 8 years or so -- they've had 0 interest in doing that.

It's hard to say whether this is almost a favour in part of the band to the european fanbase, or the management finally getting a good deal from an european tour organising body. I don't think them, or anyone else for that matter, gives a shit about the western market anymore since it's obviously not going anywhere. Even The GazettE who gets on those Itunes top rankings ( right next to early 90's metallica and queen ) only does bare bones as far as marketing in the west, by which I mean having a relatively active facebook and forcing the members to have instagram. 

I don't whether the tour is selling well or not, but it is odd that they haven't done this shit before and for kyo it's very uncharacteristic. Definitely comes from the management and isn't coming from the band itself 

hey, so are dir en grey live dvds worth buying? i own every single of audio cd albums but not those live dvds (except DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN limited edition). i didnt bought them cuz i thought they are just live versions of the songs that i already own and im not even interested in the videos. so what to you think? are the dvds worth owning?

DISC 1 : Blu-spec CD2

Spoiler

軽蔑と始まり

Devote My Life

人間を被る

Celebrate Empty Howls

詩踏み

Rubbish Heap

Values of Madness

Downfall

Followers

谿壑の欲

絶縁体

Ranunculus

DISC 2 : CD

Spoiler

鬼眼

THE DEEPER VILENESS

理由

腐海 [LIVE]
*Live Take at SHINKIBA STUDIO COAST on June 30, 2018

Ash [LIVE]

Beautiful Dirt [LIVE]

DISC 3 : Blu-ray or DVD

Spoiler

・MUSIC CLIP
 Ranunculus (Promotion Edit Ver.)
・LIVE FOOTAGE
 TOUR18 真世界
 2018.4.28 仙台銀行ホール イズミティ21
 01. DIFFERENT SENSE
 02. 鴉
 03. DISABLED COMPLEXES
 04. 霧と繭
 TOUR18 真世界
 2018.6.30 新木場STUDIO COAST (追加公演)
 01. VINUSHKA
 02. audience KILLER LOOP
 03. REPETITION OF HATRED
 04. Behind a vacant image
・BEHIND THE SCENES OF The Insulated World

so any guesses on which of those songs will turn out to be the other ones they've been playing live recently besides Ranunculus? 

"Values of Madness" and "谿壑の欲" (Ravenous Greed) sound like names for the DSS song: "The song they played at mode of DSS reminds me of "Bring them to light", tempo-wise. It's entirely guttural, too. There's a slower, more melodic part in the middle. ~3 minutes long."

The other, no idea.

btw:

軽蔑と始まり = Keibetsu to Hajimari = Beginning With Scorn

人間を被る = Ningen o Kaburu = Wearing Human Skin

詩踏み = Utafumi = Poetry Rhyming

赫 = Aka = Illuminate

谿壑の欲 = Keigaku no Yoku = Ravenous Greed

絶縁体 = Zetsuentai = Insulator

The name Ranunculus is Late Latin for "little frog", the diminutive of rana. It's also a name of the buttercup flower.

Edited by Seelentau

Thanks for the constructive criticism and alternate translations, guys. Appreciate it! :)

But now that I have more time, let me revise the names:

• 軽蔑 means "scorn", "disdain" or "contempt". と can mean either "and" or "with". I decided to go with the latter on a whim, maybe because it's the first track and 始まり means "origin" or "beginning". So, "Beginning With Contempt". Could also mean "Contempt and Beginning", but that sounds weird.
  • 人間を被る is "Wearing Human", but because of their tour title "Wearing Human Skin", I decided to translate it as that, to keep it more official. 被る also means "to bear a burden", so the title could also be understood as "Bearing the burden of mankind".
  • 詩踏み isn't "Poetry Rhyming", but "Poetry Trampling". I forgot to change it on the wiki and copied it from there. The latter kanji possibly refers to 踏み絵, tablets with Christian images, on which Edo-period authorities forced suspected Christians to trample.
  • 赫 is a rather rare Kanji, comprised of the Kanji for "red" times two. It's used in a variant of "kagayaku", which means "to shine", and you might know if from Tokyo Ghoul, where it's used in the word "Kagune". But with the reading "aka", it's (apparently) really uncommon.
  • 谿壑の欲 comes from a Japanese saying that desires aren't satisfied if they happen one after another. The actual saying is written as 渓壑の欲 and translates to something like "Desire of Ravines".
  • 絶縁体 means "Insulator" (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/絶縁体), but I suppose the deeper meaning would be along the lines of someone isolates themselves from humans. Something like that.

So, if you guys want to criticise something, please don't do it like those two. That doesn't help anyone.

Edited by Seelentau

As always, really excited for a new Dir en grey album... But I have the feeling this is going to be a disappointment. Hope I'm not right!

I hope 'Utafumi' and 'Ningen wo Kaburu' aren't overall examples of what the album is going to sound. The first one was really lackluster for me; I expect them to re-record it properly. 'Ningen...' was ok, but it still feels average for what the band was doing on the last albums (the lack of cohesion between the verses and the first chorus still bugs me).

The description for those two new songs (the DSS-like and 'Ranunculus') sound promising, but I still have a bad feeling about this album. I hope they do not sacrifice their recent experimentation and 'weirdness' in favour of a more straightforward and back to the root's approach: a balance between both would be great (as 'ARCHE' seemed to hint).

Also, with just 13 songs, I'm hoping there's at least two songs that are over 8 minutes like 'Vinushka' or 'Diabolos" and have a progressive feel to them. Sadly, something tells me that they are going full 'VULGAR' or 'Withering to death.' and the longest song is going to peak around the 5 minute mark.

By the way, remaking 'Kigan', 'The Deeper Vileness', and 'Wake' sounds great! I wonder if they are going to downtune the earlier songs and reconstruct them just like in 'The Unraveling' EP or if they are just going to remake them in a similar style to the originals just like in 'VESTIGE OF SCRATCHES'. I think the remakes of 'Beautiful Dirt', 'The IIID Empire' and 'Fukai' didn't bring anything new to the table (to be honest, they feel like a missed chance to me).

As much as I loved Arche, you can't deny it was bloated due to its length. I think we could do with something a bit sharper and to the point a la Vulgar.