Spike760

Dir en grey

17 hours ago, Saishu said:

For some reason DEG has become the go to band for Youtube reaction channels, and there’s always like the same five people leaving comments in all of them. It’s strange. 

Exposed!!!

7 hours ago, Saishu said:

So the TAKUMI listed as DEG’s live keyboardist is the same as the one in Sukekiyo, yes? Only reason I ask is because his name isn’t written in kanji. 

I always assumed they just threw a tape on. Is it really live?

Ningen liner notes say he’s the keyboardist and manipulator. Listed as programmer as far back as the Age Quod Agis tour. He’s not credited for anything in the Uroboros at Nippon Budokan DVD unless I missed it. 

I’m guessing he actually plays piano parts and triggers other effects as well. Still waiting for DEG to play with an actual orchestra though. Enough with the synthesizer shit!

Anyway, predicting one more single with the new version of Mazohyst and a burps and farts remix of Ningen as b-sides. You heard it here first. 

On 4/28/2018 at 5:05 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

I always assumed they just threw a tape on. Is it really live?

Yeah, he does do their programming and piano stuff live. He often posts pictures of his rig and setup backstage on whichever japanese social media app (i forget which) and stuff, and kyotaku usually re-posts it, which is where I see it. I did notice in songs like aint afraid to die which i saw last year for the Macabre tour, that the sound was much more organic and less synth-y

16 hours ago, Saishu said:

We won’t see it until the next video collection, Uncommon Despair. 

I honestly can’t tell if this is a joke or not lol

Is Ningen wo Kaburu a sign that DeG has lost it? Or that the members just don't give a shit about the band anymore?

The only catchy/good/ part about the song is 2 seconds of the chorus. Everything else feels so generic and un-inspiring. Generic intro, generic verse, generic bridge, generic outro. I cant believe they have been active for 20 years, and 20 years of experience leads to this, this is what they have come to be.

Im really sad. 

7 minutes ago, dannemannen said:

Is Ningen wo Kaburu a sign that DeG has lost it? Or that the members just don't give a shit about the band anymore?

The only catchy/good/ part about the song is 2 seconds of the chorus. Everything else feels so generic and un-inspiring. Generic intro, generic verse, generic bridge, generic outro. I cant believe they have been active for 20 years, and 20 years of experience leads to this, this is what they have come to be.

Im really sad. 

I'm not sure about that. I don't think the band has lost anything. I get the opposite impression actually, that the band is still trying to find a new sound but they are a few places removed from where they want to be. There's definitely a certain sound and aesthetic that they are chasing, but what that is I could not tell you. I also think it's really hard to come to a conclusion on one track + a re-recording + a live performance of the last single. Dir en grey are really good about keeping their cards close to their chest until they release a full album or EP, so I wouldn't lose faith until the entire next album pisses you off.

On that note:

"So Die and Toshiya were called in. Both were given microphones. Die was the first to speak. He said thanks for coming even though it’s middle of golden week and that all the members wanted to come but they’re working on the album so only 2 were considered to go." - from the recent sign event :]

There’s always a single that makes someone think DEG has “lost it”. I mean, considering Utafumi preceded this it makes a little more sense, but I also don’t think singles have been their strongest suit in recent years. Well, Rinkaku is the shit, but yeah. 

I think the material in the single is good, but the drumming really brings it down. Shinya’s drumming is so basic and so uninteresting it makes interesting rhythmic sections like the main riff on the single appear flat.

Honestly, I’m not opposed to the band moving on from Shinya. Just bring the dude over from Sukekiyo and you’re good. 

I think it was Kaoru that said Shinya is stubborn. Considering he hasn’t changed his look and keeps playing the same fills and patterns the last few years, Kaoru wasn’t fucking lying. 

Mika is the shit though. 

Pretty sure this same “lost it” conversation happened when STU dropped, yet ARCHE came out soon after and it was received pretty well. If NINGEN was dropped before UTAFAMI then I guess I’d entertain this convo again but nah. There’s some kind of progression happening here and I think whatever they drop next, whether it’s an album or another single will be pretty enjoyable. Could it be as enjoyable as my personal favs? Idk. But I’m not counting them out yet.