Spike760

Dir en grey

I like every DEG album, but the problem I have with Macabre (and to a lesser extent Kisou which is probably my second least favorite) is that it feels like an awkward transition between the straightforward VK of Missa and Gauze (and other singles from this period) and the more western influenced metal feel of Vulgar and beyond. It’s not catchy or melodic enough to be catchy and melodic, and not heavy and aggressive enough to be heavy and aggressive. So I’d rather just listen to the albums before and after depending on what mood I’m in.

I actually don’t mind Taiyou no Ao besides the weird ass Caribbean sounding interlude lol. Not sure what they were going for with that.

Yeah, that cheesy Jimmy Buffet shit in Taiyou no Ao pisses me off. 

As for Kisou, some of DEG’s strongest material is on there, but it’s hands down the shittiest SOUNDING album in their catalogue. The mix is atrocious and there’s absolutely no punch to the guitars at all. 

1 hour ago, Kelrya said:

It’s not catchy or melodic enough to be catchy and melodic, and not heavy and aggressive enough to be heavy and aggressive. 

This is interesting. This is exactly my problem with Withering to Death 

By some bizarre accident, I've never had Aoi Tsuki in my library until recently. Missa is like my favorite thing by them, and to have a new song from that era is like heaven.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:51 AM, Seelentau said:

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

dudu dudu duduuuudududud

Hide contents

Ash

This is peak internet for me

44 minutes ago, Reiko said:

By some bizarre accident, I've never had Aoi Tsuki in my library until recently. Missa is like my favorite thing by them, and to have a new song from that era is like heaven.

This is amazing. Almost on par with when people realized that the tracklists for Rentrer en Soi’s Kein no Hitsugi and Astre no Ito were swapped. 

58 minutes ago, Saishu said:

This is amazing. Almost on par with when people realized that the tracklists for Rentrer en Soi’s Kein no Hitsugi and Astre no Ito were swapped. 

I'm well aware that its an older song.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:27 AM, Saishu said:

The Tsumi to Batsu remake sounds unrecognizable, but a lot of the original elements are there, just played at a much slower tempo. Hydra 666 kind of keeps the spirit of the original with the flicka flicka guitars and the way Die and Kaoru trade off on the main riff... but other than that yeah, it sucks. But so does Hydra anyway. 

I'm not sure about HYDRA. To me, the defining aspect of that song was the gregorian chant in the middle, which was relegated to background SFX in the remake. Tsumi to Batsu is more recognizable, just slow & sludgy as hell. I'm hoping this "Ash" remake sets a new bar for how little the band changes a song when they re-do it, since it's technically a re-do all they need to do is play it a tiny bit faster at a slightly lower guitar tuning and they'll get the effect I am looking for.

But knowing these guys they'll try something more amazing and fuck it up in the process...

56 minutes ago, Reiko said:

I'm well aware that its an older song.

Are you sure there isn't anything else you are missing? Some B-side or something?

I should indeed cross examine. I had the file, just had a location problem with my player. I think I have everything unless something else fell through.
@SaishuMy bad!

Edited by Reiko

I’m wondering, how would you guys/girls rank DEG’s albums/mini-albums? I’m was getting impatient waiting for that 15-second clip of misdirection we usually get before a single release and decided to finally make my own list. I’m interested in what other people think because I don’t know a lot of other fans irl but reading online it seems like opinions are all over the place. I first heard DEG in the Vulgar era but didn’t become a big fan until DSS, so I may be partial to that era.

S Tier (10/10)

1. Dum Spiro Spero

A Tier (9.5/10)

2. Uroboros

B Tier (8.5/10-9/10)

3. Arche

4. The Unraveling (EP)

5. Vulgar

6. Marrow of a Bone

C Tier (7.5/10-8/10)

7. Gauze

8. Withering to Death

9. Missa (EP)

D Tier (6.5/10-7/10)

10. Kisou

11. Six Ugly (EP)

12. Macabre

I like every album but I definitely prefer some over others. The B tier ones (3-6) are all really close so it’s hard to rank those ones accurately.

This ranking does take into account bonus tracks and B-sides to an extent, but only in a positive way. For example the Macabre remake and the unplugged version of The Final boost The Unraveling’s ranking, but the disgustingly terrible organ version of Inconvenient Ideal doesn’t lower the ranking of Uroboros (seriously why would they ruin one of their best songs like that...)

Edited by Kelrya

Honestly, I don’t think bonus tracks should be taken into account when ranking albums, which means, unfortunately, that the Macabre remake wouldn’t really count for The Unraveling. 

Edited by Saishu

21 minutes ago, Kelrya said:

it seems like opinions are all over the place.

Basically this.

The thing about DEG is that they've been around for 20 years now. Fans started listening in different eras and have their own reasons for listening. Someone who becomes a fan now may not necessarily enjoy the VK early material, and vice versa for the ooga-booga-moar-br00tal-than-thou-kyopera we have now.

There's not really much of a point of me making a ranked list, as it changes constantly with my mood. I like almost all their work equally aside from MISSA, which just doesn't work for me on the whole. Oh, and UROBOROS is basically a god-tier LP, imo.

I agree that Uroboros is god-tier, the only thing that puts it below DSS for me is the production and some of the songs sounding kind of similar. Also, while I love Vinushka, it’s basically a 5 minute song stretched out over 10 minutes. I think Diabolos was a less repetitive attempt at a similar style. Ironically, while DSS is my favorite musically I think it is their worst era visually. Kyo looks pretty cringey trying to appear tough in all the shirtless photos with his shaved head. The music is the most important aspect for me but that was pretty egregious. Thankfully they went back to something closer to their older visual style. 

As for MISSA, I like Kyo’s older style of clean singing a lot so that bumps it up for me. He’s still a good singer but he sounds too nasally or something in some songs these days. Rinkaku is beautiful but the interlude around 2/3 into Utafumi sounds really strained. 

TIL Laliene (pre-Lareine) had a demo tape with a song called "Dir en gray"... in 1995... HMMMMM...

By the way, there's a DEG discord now, if anyone wants an invite, hmu :3

Edited by Seelentau

That was fucking horrible.

Please learn to scream in time with the music and invest in some at least semi-decent audio recording equipment. Even my 8 year-old phone has better quality than that.

7 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

That was fucking horrible.

Please learn to scream in time with the music and invest in some at least semi-decent audio recording equipment. Even my 8 year-old phone has better quality than that.

It’s intentionally horrible. Look at the rest of the channel.