Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, geist said:

I can understand wanting to fit another guitar part in there to stand out; but please make it more tasteful than THAT!

Even worse is they played it back and everyone agreed on it. 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:04 AM, Saishu said:

But Gauze. Gauze is held in this lofty position of being some great cornerstone of VK. Why? Once you dig deeper into VK you realize that tons of bands were already doing what DEG had done on Gauze. What makes it so special compared to anything Luna Sea and Kuroyume did? There are people that say Gauze is their best album. Are they serious? Is this coming from Yoshiki fans? 

I dont get it. 

Honestly I think Gauze is great so I'm biased, but I would say this: Gauze treads very little new ground in any of its material, and if you've heard a lot of what VK was doing up to that point (which admittedly I hadn't at the time I first heard it), you probably wouldn't be that impressed. The limitations of Gauze are basically the limitations of that style of VK, because Gauze is the pinnacle of that sound IMO. It took a genre that was defined by quick and dirty, and gave it an injection of pop sensibility, a high budget, and lots of polish, and I think Dir en grey at that point in their career was really, really good at delivering on that sound.

Edited by StriderSubzero

As far as Dir en grey albums go, they've had their ups and downs for me and I don't really dramatically prefer one of their eras over another. Kisou is easily my least favorite album from them and that's "old DEG." On the other hand, Gauze and Macabre are both up there with my favorites (along with DSS and Arche).  I guess their middle nu-metal period might be overall the weakest for me (The Marrow of the Bone is my second least favorite), but even then it's still pretty good considering I usually hate nu-metal.

As for Gauze specifically, it wasn't my absolute first J-rock album or anything (I was into Kuroyume first actually; got into DEG through learning who Kiyoharu inspired), but it was admittedly one of the earlier ones I've heard so I guess I might be biased here. It's true that the album doesn't break too much dramatic new ground or anything, but I think it's executed extremely well. When it comes to that 90s vk j-rock sound, there's very few albums I would put in the same class as Gauze. It's a great mixture of stupidly catchy melodies/choruses along with pretty nice and solid musicianship. And it's not like the album is a total ripoff or anything. Mazohyst and Zan are both pretty out there after all.

Well... Mazohyst does have that weird sound effect ripped straight from Buck Tick’s Kirameki no Naka de. And I feel like Zan may have been inspired a bit by Luna Sea’s 1999. So no, not ripoffs, but their heroes were still coming thru the songwriting. 

9 hours ago, suji said:

#rpdrs11

what a breathtaking homage

I'm glad this band still has real fans left that invest their time into re-creating iconic art instead of arguing in rudimentary music theory terms with bored internet strangers, x

instagram has finally reached the myspace levels of unwell with their gorgeous piece

This individual did a better job at keeping alive the spirit of VULGAR than the band did during the Mode of VULGAR tour.

Edited by blacktooth
Whoops, I ended my sentence with a comma rather than a period. Can't make grammatical mistakes when a high level of discourse is expected.

Couldn't make it more than a few seconds in. I guess they tried?

Looking forward to hearing some more news about this single. Hopefully they'll actually tell us what's on it soon enough. It's a bit weird that they usually don't finalise the tracklisting and artwork until only a few weeks before. Surely it takes a while to print thousands of discs?

I was just thinking today how long it will be until this band runs out of songs they want to re-record and starts re-recording re-recordings. Well that time has finally arrived, they are making a third version of Ash for the b-side of 人間を被る.

lul I just checked their setlist for August 30, 2014, and as it turns out, "Chain repulsion" is the only song (aside of INWARD SCREAM) from that show that they had yet to release... I mean wtf, why would they even release a song from four years ago now? And what about INWARD SCREAM? And why didn't they release them earlier... ._.

Inward Scream is Kyo's little a capella vocal improv routine. In that video the band used it as a segue into Hydra 666. There's one from the Uroboros era where he screams "RADISH". I'll see if I can find it.

RADISH @ :47

Edited by blacktooth

57 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

lul I just checked their setlist for August 30, 2014, and as it turns out, "Chain repulsion" is the only song (aside of INWARD SCREAM) from that show that they had yet to release... I mean wtf, why would they even release a song from four years ago now? And what about INWARD SCREAM? And why didn't they release them earlier... ._.

What?

What what? The "Chain repulsion" recording from their new single's DVD is from the same show that was taped for the TOUR14 mode of Gauze release.

It's the only song from that night (aside of INWARD SCREAM) that wasn't released so far. All other songs were either release on the TOUR14 DVD or on other releases.

:)

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

What what? The "Chain repulsion" recording from their new single's DVD is from the same show that was taped for the TOUR14 mode of Gauze release.

It's the only song from that night (aside of INWARD SCREAM) that wasn't released so far. All other songs were either release on the TOUR14 DVD or on other releases.

:)

Wow, that's lazy...

But tbh I don't own any Mode of... Blu-Rays, so I'm happy to at least have a part of that era physically.

Yeah, I'm not fond of it, either. It seems they just randomly picked one ARCHE-song from each mode of-tour... dunno why they still promote ARCHE that much, the album is four(?) years old...

Besides, we're still missing two mode of-releases ._.

I’m just not really understanding your complaint. If anything it’s noteworthy that it’s a performance of an Arche song four months before Arche was released. I didn’t expect the DVD to have footage recorded specifically for the release of this single. 

On 22/02/2018 at 12:47 AM, Seelentau said:

Yeah, I'm not fond of it, either. It seems they just randomly picked one ARCHE-song from each mode of-tour... dunno why they still promote ARCHE that much, the album is four(?) years old...

They did the same for DSS. They beat that horse well after it was dead.

Tbh, I would have preferred to see other songs rather than just pure ARCHE. Nothing against the album, it's just that we got a very similar Blu-Ray with the Utafumi single a few years ago.