Spike760

Dir en grey

47 minutes ago, Alroy said:

So them being a metal band is a statement carved in stone? Color me and many others interested in this detail rather than in dorky alt-right subgenres that you endorse.

Who said Dir en grey's musical style being predominantly metal was "carved in stone"? I get the point you're trying to make; but let's stop pretending Dir en grey are not a 'metal' band when over 80% of their catalog is classified as 'metal'.

I don't even like metal, but I still know there's a long way to go for these guys to become a legit metal band in the flesh.

Ah yes, the "true metal" argument. This is one of those arguments people slap around when they evidently know very little of the style of music being discussed (see: your comments on "Djent"). It's an abstract non-argument where you're not actually saying anything despite the fact you're stringing sentences together. Please, define for us "true metal" and how that is distinguished from a band like Dir en grey who are apparently not "true metal".

Wanna consult Boo since he may know a bit better about other (heavier) bands he befriended and Diru too? I have yet to see Japanese critics titling them PUROGUDESSUMETARUBANDO.

I don't recall ever specifically defining Dir en grey as "progressive metal", whom are you quoting?

Also +1 for not noticing the same outro motif of those two aforementioned songs. :roll:

No offense; but it's difficult to discuss music with people who are unable to distinguish between guitars chugging in C# (Gaika) and an A minor/diminished half-step riff (you, know, a staple within the 'extreme metal' style) built on two guitar harmonies outlining a i-v (A, E) chord progression and a tri-tone. Not only are they different harmonically, they're entirely different in how they're introduced in the song.

Saying Dir en grey "aped" the outro to Gaika demonstrates clear ignorance of music and musical form.

Edited by geist
two words

You do know that "Alternative" exists there for a reason, right? The band never had any word on their style, so it's just a blank slate, and there is no higher will deciding that they could fit into one specific label just because. I mentioned (hard) rock because their earlier, more palatable repertoire still affects what they are doing to this day. We are not talking about separate entities, but about the same band. Maybe it might not be specifically hard rock as older generations understand it, but maybe an "alternative" rendition just like what you Americans endorsed back when MTV TRL mattered.

I am gonna put a full stop to this irrelevant subtopic.

Eat a snickers or  ---> https://www.last.fm/music/DIR+EN+GREY

Edited by Alroy

2 minutes ago, Alroy said:

I mentioned (hard) rock because their earlier, more palatable repertoire

Now we’re at the crux of the issue. Not only are you musically ignorant, you also don’t like the direction the band has gone (*cough* metal *cough*). 

Which is fine, you don’t have to like the direction Dir en grey has gone musically; but when you make arguments out of ignorance to inflate the importance of your half-baked opinion, it warrants correction. 

Just keep that in mind. Also, please keep your silly American politics out of this thread, thanks. 

Two outros that are at a slower tempo than the rest of the song, and they both come after a break in the music. That’s... where the similarities end, really.  And what does it matter? 

3 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Two outros that are at a slower tempo than the rest of the song, and they both come after a break in the music. That’s... where the similarities end, really.  And what does it matter? 

Don’t forget! They also both contain musical notes! Fuckin self-plagiarists!!!

Edited by geist

Anyway, I hated The Inferno until I realized the riff was sort of, like, slowly mutating over the course of the song. If there’s anything really wrong with it, it’s the placement. It sounds really jarring coming after an atmospheric post-rock dirge 

13 hours ago, Saishu said:

Maybe there's something more to that than just the tempo and its placement? Maybe that is exactly what motif is about rather than just notes that grumpy mr. Know-It-All a few posts back tried to tackle?

Whatever. Just that people find "The Inferno" somehow groundbreaking and novel per their repertoire amuses me the most.

Yawn.

A motif? So you think DEG’s intent was to make a call back to Gaika? Seems as big as a stretch as the theory that Utafumi is a lyrical sequel to The Final. 

That's not quite true. Kyo said in an interview that he wanted to speak to the older fans by including "THE FINAL" in the lyrics.

Or something like that.

Also, this is the best DEG song, actually:

Who recalls 「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨(Crossover Ver.), I think that's DEG's best song. It's also think it's their most experimental sounding song. Actually I think the whole cd DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN is one of my favorite DEG releases.

Edited by Mamo

1 hour ago, Alroy said:

Whatever. Just that people find "The Inferno" somehow groundbreaking and novel per their repertoire amuses me the most.

Which legitimately no one said. I don’t know why The Inferno, or new Dir en grey material in general, triggers you as much as it does. 

It literally set you off into being a passive aggressive asshole out of nowhere when I commented on how much I enjoy the song. 

I get it, you’re upset I corrected you in our conversation a few days ago and this was your chance to get back at me, but please try to act less petty, ESPECIALLY when you evidently don’t know a single thing about music and the only term you remotely know is “motif” to make up for your lack of musical vocabulary. 

56 minutes ago, Mamo said:

Who recalls 「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨(Crossover Ver.), I think that's DEG's best song. It's also think it's their most experimental sounding song. Actually I think the whole cd DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN is one of my favorite DEG releases.

This barely counts as a DEG song to me since they just slapped Kyo’s vocal track over a different band. 

20 hours ago, Tokage said:

what do u think the dir en grey guy's eat for breakfast every day

Seagulls, if you recall from the AGE QUOD AGIS DVD.

17 hours ago, geist said:

Which legitimately no one said. I don’t know why The Inferno, or new Dir en grey material in general, triggers you as much as it does. 

It literally set you off into being a passive aggressive asshole out of nowhere when I commented on how much I enjoy the song. 

I get it, you’re upset I corrected you in our conversation a few days ago and this was your chance to get back at me, but please try to act less petty, ESPECIALLY when you evidently don’t know a single thing about music and the only term you remotely know is “motif” to make up for your lack of musical vocabulary. 

Why is it that you insist on someone getting triggered over your statements? Were I passive aggressive for questioning your negative attitude towards people not really giving a damn about bazillion dorky-titled subgenres? You seem to love it so much to the point where you are eager invent some petty strawmen and even pettier claims that you "corrected" something as if you were some kind of Allmusic-tier critic authority knowing DEG or genres they play to the very core.

Here, a stock representation of your forum self:

Spoiler

29e.jpg

@WhirlingBlackit might be your job to finish this shitfest instead of liking posts and letting this thread sink into Fukkatsu cesspool. 

Now to the topic:

18 hours ago, Saishu said:

A motif? So you think DEG’s intent was to make a call back to Gaika? Seems as big as a stretch as the theory that Utafumi is a lyrical sequel to The Final. 

Maybe, maybe not. The band did not disclose what exactly they meant by "Origins" per Arche's meaning so we are free to speculate anything we want, no? People would for instance recall "Disabled Complexes" or "Toguro" when listening to "Phenomenon", which might have been plausible sources of inspiration during their songwriting process. Or "Tousei" being the "Kodou" of the album. Some throwbacks succeeded, some could not hold a candle to their possible sources of inspiration, was what I tried to say. "The Inferno" being the example of the latter, in case someone missed the point. Diru can do much better than that.

I really wish the band would retell the songwriting process of each ARCHE song one day like they did with TMOAB, but that would not happen since they have to keep their mystery band cred intact.

I’m almost certain the band didn’t approach the “origins” concept with the intentions of retreading old songs. If anything it’s more like they used their entire discography as an inspiration. You could probably place each song on Arche on a past album and have them fit. And the reason I think that is because during the Mode of lives they chose specific Arche songs to place in each set list. 

Which reminds me, does anyone know if they played Cause of Fickleness during the Mode of Withering to Death tour? 

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

How in the world is Tousei anything like Kodou? The usage of a wah pedal?

49 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

So many statements, so little sources.

I never said that relation to Kodou was purely factual or based on a specific source. I just recalled that Dir en classic once I started to notice similar wah-wah soloing being prominent on Tousei during the intro and its climax. Not that many songs by Diru except for maybe AMBER for a slight moment had that much of wah-wah. Add a few C# riffs picked by Die into the same list too.

But that doesn't mean they rehashed Kodou though, nope. I don't have to look for a specific Haiiro no Ginka issue to prove that my speculations are just speculations just like how you guys feel about Diru songs in overall.

I mean, you guys did connect Revelation to Saku on a composition level and not just based on PVs being sequels/prequels to each other before I joined in, right? What if that was not the case according to its composers? What if we are just fans with no prior, fail-proof information, but only with enthusiasm to find out more about our joys?

Oh wait, there's no "we" according to Diru fanbase. My bad.

Edited by Alroy