Spike760

Dir en grey

what's this?

Edit: nevermid

From ASAGI's first solo album, 斑 (Madara), track #6, 螢火 (Keika), featuring Shinya from DIR EN GREY and SERAPH. Release date January 31, 2018.

Edited by Mamo

Yup, I don't know what was the point of that either.

Let's discuss:

Did anyone of you guys expect Diru to revert back to their visual/almost androgynous aesthetics after DUM SPIRO SPERO? Looking back, I noticed that even a huge bunch of fans here did not foresee these guys giving up on embracing more American-friendly looks after something so serious that was their 2007-2012 era. Is this a thing among all legendary, "formerly" visual-oriented bands right now? MUCC is doing this too, LUNA SEA is doing it too as of lately, BUCK-TICK too, and so on.

Edited by Alroy

Ima just put this here cuz this is the only DECAYED CROW performance that matters...like many of the the other DSS songs on this live. 

Shinya isn't perfect here but the umph is there. 

29 minutes ago, Saishu said:

I think Kyo’s vocal delivery in that song bugs me more than Shinya’s drumming. 

YAAAYAAAAYAAAYAAAAYAAAOOWW

YAAAYAAAYAAAAYAAAAAOWWW

GROOOGROOOOGROOOO

YABBAYABBAYABBAYABBAAAOOWW

but it's good 

Okay, so we don't talk about their change to vk looks anymore? How boring.

I mean, c'mon:

Spoiler

90.jpg

news_photo.jpg

Dir-en-grey-2011-500x333.jpg

Direngrey-ghoul.jpg

direngrey-2015-08-450x300.jpg

3gcb2mq.png

So did they decide to do this after regaining their older fans? Or perhaps attempting to attract newer bands? Or is it just the band longing for their VK past?

1 hour ago, Alroy said:

Okay, so we don't talk about their change to vk looks anymore? How boring.

I mean, c'mon:

Hide contents

90.jpg

news_photo.jpg

Dir-en-grey-2011-500x333.jpg

Direngrey-ghoul.jpg

direngrey-2015-08-450x300.jpg

3gcb2mq.png

So did they decide to do this after regaining their older fans? Or perhaps attempting to attract newer bands? Or is it just the band longing for their VK past?

I can’t speak for anyone else, I just don’t care what they look like. 

Any band for that matter. 

Juuyoku and Decayed Crow are both tunes that I like; but imo The Inferno is infinitely superior. The lyrics aren't a garbled mess with Kyo trying to fit as many syllables within one measure as humanly possible, there's an excellent contrast of screams and growls, and the instrumentation is far more interesting to me -- ESPECIALLY the outro, which takes the song to new heights and makes it a cut above most of the material they've been releasing of late.

Hell, I'd take The Inferno over a lot of their older catalog even just due to how mature it sounds in relation to their earlier efforts into the metal genre which at times could feel "unconvincing".

Edited by geist

All those three songs are filler tracks though.

:^) 

Nothing mature on "The Inferno" in having quite lazy A-tuning riffs, Kyo struggling to choose his screaming technique, and outro aping what Gaika was near the end:

Diru was never meant to be a metal band! Whoever thinks they should be metal: the band never went to admit that they ARE metal, right?

Edited by Alroy

If you think the outros to gaika and Inferno sound anything alike, I suggest you get your ears checked because you might be tone deaf. 

And yes, Dir en grey is a metal band. I don’t see how that is remotely in dispute. Perhaps that’s tied to being tone deaf? 

Though this IS coming from the same person who didn’t know “Djent” started with Meshuggah, sooo.....

👌

Edited by geist

Any time a band refuses to put themselves into a genre, it’s just because they’re giving themselves a blank slate to do whatever without fans saying “hey that’s not [insert genre here]!”

However, about 90% of the time over the last 10+ years, DEG is metal as fuck. 

5 hours ago, Alroy said:

Nothing mature on "The Inferno" in having quite lazy A-tuning riffs, Kyo struggling to choose his screaming technique, and outro aping what Gaika was near the end

Actually Gaika is one of the most beautiful songs from Uroboros remastered.

1 hour ago, geist said:

If you think the outros to gaika and Inferno sound anything alike, I suggest you get your ears checked because you might be tone deaf. 

And yes, Dir en grey is a metal band. I don’t see how that is remotely in dispute. Perhaps that’s tied to being tone deaf? 

Though this IS coming from the same person who didn’t know “Djent” started with Meshuggah, sooo.....

👌

So them being a metal band is a statement carved in stone? Color me and many others interested in this detail rather than in dorky alt-right subgenres that you endorse.

I don't even like metal, but I still know there's a long way to go for these guys to become a legit metal band in the flesh. They could fit their influences as much as they wish, although no matter what, they are about as metal as At the Drive-in, if anything.

Wanna consult Boo since he may know a bit better about other (heavier) bands he befriended and Diru too? I have yet to see Japanese critics titling them PUROGUDESSUMETARUBANDO.

Also +1 for not noticing the same outro motif of those two aforementioned songs. :roll: