Spike760

Dir en grey

16 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Oh and the name is Ranshishoku, not Ai Murasakiiro^^

@WhirlingBlackhad this nice post to back it up:

This has been a long process for me, I've been working on it for years, but I managed to find an obscure old magazine clipping in an auction which I bought some years back but never got onto reading properly ("Groove Line vol-29" from December 1998) where a setlist is posted which gives the name as Ranshishoku.

I actually took the liberty of scanning it just so we can get rid of all doubt on the subject. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62973737/ranshishoku.jpg

If you look at the setlist in the lower left corner, you can notice that track nr.6, is actually given half in katakana as "ランシ色" either because the band wasn't sure on how they wanted to spell it at the time, or because they wanted to make clear the pronunciation. Notice how Mazohyst also is spelled in katakana since this was before the release of the track.

Now, the interesting thing is of course, that the kanji is exactly the same. A lot of kanji have two or more readings, and in this particular case, 藍紫色 can be read in kun'yomi, the "traditional Japanese" pronunciation, as Ai Murasaki Iro.

However, when read as on'yomi, which is essentially pronunciation  originally borrowed from China, the same three kanji reads out "Ranshishoku".

And while I cannot provide a source for this, I know for a fact that Kyo also presented the song as Ranshishoku during the 1998 tour.

These two evidence put together really left no doubt in my mind what the proper pronunciation of the title is, and thus I decided to make my research public.

And as a side note, hopefully this can also help anyone who still believes that "Karma" should be pronounced as "Waza"...

Also, mixed colors are RARELY (read: NEVER) read in kun'yomi. In this case it is Ranshishoku that means "Deep Indigo" and not "Ai Murasaki Iro" that means "Blue Purple Color".

I  never heard Diru calling 業 as "Gō" nor "Waza" though...

Edited by Alroy

The tour he means is 「楓」~if trans・・・~ Mechanism For Leave -Unknown・・・Despair・・・a Lost- ~裁きの血舞台~, specifically on May 5, 1998. You can hear Kyo saying "Ranshishoku" at the very beginning.

It's also written as ランシ色 on a different setlist.

業 is "karuma".

5 hours ago, blacktooth said:

What will happen when this band breaks up some day?

The band will break up and they will each go their separate ways.

Many of them already have secondary bands (DECAYS, Seraph, sukekiyo) and clothing lines.

Kyo will release more overpriced poetry books and put on art shows that no one will attend. He'll continue making music in some form or another until he dies.

I imagine that Kaoru will form another dark doomy br00tal band that takes itself far too seriously, possibly with Toshiya. He might do soundtrack work or possibly get in bed with Opeth or something.

Die will make bouncy pop-punk.

Shinya will turn into an eccentric new-age hermit and will somehow still be with us in 300 years looking exactly the same.

Also, there will be schisms in the fanbase, gnashing of teeth, beatings of breasts. The curtain in front of the temple will tear asunder. The dead will rise from their graves. etc.

From what I know, the Japanese fans usually follow a certain band member, so if DEG were to split up, the fans that survived the shock would probably just listen to whatever their fav put out next.

For me, although I don't care about him as a person, it would be Kyo. I don't really have an ear for music, so I can't say if a band sounds different because of a different guitarist or bassist or drummer. The only thing that stands out to me is the voice.

I mean of course I can recognise if a band entirely changes its genre (like the latest Suicide Silence album, for example), but I'm lost when it comes to the deeper stuff.

So while I enjoy listening to sukekiyo, the other bands in DEG's orbit are not that interesting to me, simply because of the different vocalists.

I hope the next album is just a progressive/atmospheric/post-rock affair. Kind of tired of DEG making attempts at being br00al at this point. 

And I’m blaming that on Shinya. 

I'm just saying that because I can't begin to imagine the internet fallout from the event of DEG breaking up. It's hilarious how content starved everyone is after picking the bones of Arche clean that we'll discuss absolutely anything. Speaking of which, do you think Kyo ever bought that washing machine?

4 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Yeah, Shinya is too br00tal for his own good!

Hide contents

12139762_833246773458420_2034820926_n.jp

That’s exactly what I expect to see behind the drum kit when I hear bullshit like Decayed Crow. 

I feel completely alone in loving the NARASAKI remix.

But then, as I've said before, I enjoy industrial/ambient/noise music.

Kyo's remix is excellent, too.

The song is kind of a mess live, I will give you that. But that's true for almost everything off DSS.

I wish they had gone for live orchestral elements (even on tape) rather than programmed samples for the Symphonic versions. They sound so fake.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I don't think Dir en grey will ever break up. They've joined the likes of bands like BUCK-TICK where they will always be together to record an album, but maybe the bulk of their efforts will be into their personal projects. We're already at the point where it takes them four years to come out with a new album, so what's an extra year or two so they can focus on DECAYS/sukekiyo/Seraph? I don't think Dir en grey will end until one of the core members dies tbqh.

I will concede that is probably the best performance of Decayed Crow that I’ve seen, but the song still blows. Sorry, but I can’t ignore Shinya’s lame ass drum patterns. All I hear is a guy with noodles for arms and his shoes on the wrong feet. 

15 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I feel completely alone in loving the NARASAKI remix.

But then, as I've said before, I enjoy industrial/ambient/noise music.

Kyo's remix is excellent, too.

The song is kind of a mess live, I will give you that. But that's true for almost everything off DSS.

I wish they had gone for live orchestral elements (even on tape) rather than programmed samples for the Symphonic versions. They sound so fake.

Hot Take: this is the only listenable version of this song.

On 1/29/2018 at 12:07 PM, blacktooth said:

It's hilarious how content starved everyone is after picking the bones of Arche clean that we'll discuss absolutely anything.

Since everyone is talking about "Decayed Crow" I figured we might as well talk about the bands latest release of new content that is "Utafumi" aka Decayed Crow 2.0. I don't know about everyone else but I love "Kuukoku no Kyouon (feat. SUGIZO)". And hell I even really like"Revelation of mankind (Remixed by Yusuke Suga)" sounds dubstep to me.

Edited by Mamo

6 minutes ago, Mamo said:

Since everyone is talking about "Decayed Crow" I figured we might as well talk about the bands latest release of new content that is "Utafumi" aka Decayed Crow 2.0. I don't know about everyone else but I love "Kuukoku no Kyouon (feat. SUGIZO)". And hell I even really like"Revelation of mankind (Remixed by Yusuke Suga)" sounds dubstep to me.

Utafumi is more like a throwback to their nu-metal mid period than anything else really. As for "Decayed Crow," it's alright. Don't hate it or love it. Definitely the weakest song on DSS for me though.