Spike760

Dir en grey

On 1/22/2018 at 1:04 AM, Seelentau said:

Just see where "Rasetsukoku" sends you in the Chinese wikipedia: https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=羅剎國

It's an archaic word for the Western countries, especially Russia, and comes from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa

That's all there is to it, really.

Protip:

Anyone can edit Wikipedia.

Also, I asked for literary references. Because I found none that could somehow link DEG to intentionally choosing such title because of some Mainland mythology around that time. Kyo might be the one getting uncanny ideas, but he ain't a scholar in Asia studies, lol.

Protip: Anyone can write a book, too.

I don't know if you think wikipedia is some kinda lawless wasteland, but it's certainly not.

Also, we never spoke about why DEG chose that title, stop moving the goal post please.

While ensuring all sources are 100% correct is admirable, this is not a library nor an academic institution. It's an online forum to hang out and enjoy.

Kyo has been known to reference Asian mythology and frequently uses language in bizarre and creative ways. He doesn't need to be a "scholar" to do a ton of research of his own on subjects that interest him. Tbh, this may be as simple as using a word/concept that struck a chord with him and/or was in some way relevant to MACABRE.

If Rasetsukoku is some kind of allusion to Russia, that song may be book-ending the album in some way (even though it's not the final track). Deity is sung (supposedly) in Russian, and the melody is taken from Johannes Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5.

Seems straightforward enough to me.

What this has to do with the rest of the album is anyone's guess.

Edited by Nowhere Girl

One problem here is that we actually never hear the band saying those titles or at least explaining them out loud (more than just seldom), so it is hard to tell which pronunciation is correct, what are the origins and for what reason. Like, do you guys remember this ARCHE case from a few years back? Was it Archie? ARUKEEH? Ar-HEE? AR-HEH? ARKEH?

I could care less whether Kyo did have something in his mind about European countries or Russia while penning that song, but what puzzles me is the way how these things are supposed to connect and for what purpose? My GAUZE copy only does this with the first track (after intro) and track ordering, and there is no book-ending song with titles, lyrics or any other literary allusions in German? Shouldn't MACABRE follow this suit then? Why would they book-end the album before the most sensitive ballads of that record?

There are mags about GAUZE songwriting all over the place, a bit less but as much about Kisou too, but Macabre has been always under-reported with regards to how it was written or how its songs were debuted for the very first time. God knows whatever that album was supposed to be according to Diru.

Edited by Alroy

I get pissed off when an album has “official” English translations for lyrics, but they don’t translate the song titles. 

And there are multiple ways to say “Arche”. DEG obviously chose “ar-kay”.

Edited by Saishu

No, Gauze is gauze. I’m not calling it “ga-zay”.

Macabre also has several pronunciations, and I choose to go with “ma-kahb”. Though in the Macabre your dvd I did hear Toshiya refer to it as “ma-ka-bu-re”.

Edited by Saishu

ARCHE is "Aruke~".

GAUZE is "Ga~ze".

MACABRE is "Makabura".

But since they're all English loan words, you can just pronounce them like you would in proper English.

Edited by Seelentau

"Uroboros" is a transcription of ウロボロス, which in turn is the Japanese writing of οὐροβόρος (based on its pronounciation). "Ouroboros" would be the direct transcription of the Greek word. :)

Edited by Seelentau

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

"Uroboros" is a transcription of ウロボロス, which in turn is the Japanese writing of οὐροβόρος (based on its pronounciation). "Ouroboros" would be the direct transcription of the Greek word. :)

I SAID NO