Spike760

Dir en grey

^It's just a best-of album though? I don't think you cared much about DECADE albums before either, no?

Remakes sucked, but certain remasters at least sounded better the more listens they were given. They will not replace the album playthroughs necessarily, but it's quite fascinating to see whether there's more to this than just another easy cashgrab.

Who knows whether the next album is going to follow suit here and have a whole new approach in mixing and mastering, unlike DSS and ARCHE which had this muddy sound hindering the quality throughout. Did we also mention that Kyo seemed to revert back to his WtD-TMOAB half-screaming vocals?

For some reason, I don't own a physical copy of VULGAR, so this would please me.

For some other reason, I own two copies of Withering to death. (cardboard 1st press and black English version). 

No, I don't know, either.

14 hours ago, Seelentau said:

my wiki > discogs

Gonna be honest, the frequency at which you made changes in discogs made me turn off my notifications :-P

20 minutes ago, ghost said:

Gonna be honest, the frequency at which you made changes in discogs made me turn off my notifications :-P

Yeah I know, I often forget to add/change something, or notice it only after I have submitted the edit ^^'

But the DEG stuff should be mostly complete nowadays, although I have already a new old VHS release in the drafts, but I need to buy it first to see what's on it :x

10 hours ago, Alroy said:

Remakes sucked, but certain remasters at least sounded better the more listens they were given. They will not replace the album playthroughs necessarily, but it's quite fascinating to see whether there's more to this than just another easy cashgrab.

It's as fascinating as the speculation whether shinya s gay or not. Because the answer is crystal clear. If this is no easy cash grab for you then I dunno what is. The remasters are for the most part unbalanced. It sounds like they just snatched up all the highs in one sitting and then called it a day. If something sounds cheap as fuck, then either the production was cheap as fuck or the producer (sup kaoru) was dumb as fuck. Choose one.

if this release confirms anything for me it's that the original mix & master of the first three albums was a huge part of why i loved those songs - & they work better as parts of an album than singles.
bring back too-trebly overcompressed reverby 2000s kei plz

I mentioned it elsewhere, but they used several mixing engineers for this, not one. And I refuse to believe no one thinks the now-audible bass and drums in the Vulgar and WtD tracks is an improvement. Not all the remastering worked well, but then I think some of this stuff couldn’t be saved to begin with (Kisou, Marrow). 

Is the deluxe US version of DSS meant to have a small 3 second hidden drum track between The Blossoming Beelzebub and Different Sense? I don't remember it being there in the Japanese version.

The problem is with the track sequencing, which is another issue DEG has. Very rarely do their albums flow well from track to track. The problem with DSS is Different Sense shouldn’t have followed Beelezebub; it’s too different of a mood shift for it to work, so they slapped on that interlude that sounds like Shinya and Toshiya tumbled down the stairs together. 

I mean, shit, why is Clever Sleazoid in between Namamekashiki and Ware, Yami Tote on Vestige? That’s ridiculous.  Arche is a mess too, especially the latter half. 

Of course, it's the same footage that they have shown on their Mousou~ VHS.

Only now labelled as Meguro Rockmaykan footage, back then as  Namba Rockets footage.

WHAT IS THE TRUTH, DEG?

Edit: The truth is, the VHS is wrong. Tada, easy.

Edited by Seelentau

I wonder which corporation was kind enough to let five aging rockers film a music video in their building's lobby for Beautiful Dirt.

Also, I appreciate Kyo's efforts in bringing Zubaz back.

about-1.jpg

Edited by blacktooth

22 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

Of course, it's the same footage that they have shown on their Mousou~ VHS.

Only now labelled as Meguro Rockmaykan footage, back then as  Namba Rockets footage.

WHAT IS THE TRUTH, DEG?

Edit: The truth is, the VHS is wrong. Tada, easy.

Yes. The backdrop in the clip also says Rokumeikan so..

52 minutes ago, Saishu said:

so they slapped on that interlude that sounds like Shinya and Toshiya tumbled down the stairs together. 

I always got Seinfeld transition vibes from it. I really liked my first listen-through of MOO but that just took me out of it.

I always tweak the tracklists of their albums and throw in single versions or B-sides. Generally I try to respect the artist's intent when it comes to album sequence, but I don't think DEG even has an intent.

They honestly should have just stuck with “shot in one take” videos of the re-recorded tracks. I guess I can appreciate these cheap PVs as a throwback to the low budget VK days, but they could have at least filmed one in the woods. 

28 minutes ago, blacktooth said:

I always tweak the tracklists of their albums and throw in single versions or B-sides. Generally I try to respect the artist's intent when it comes to album sequence, but I don't think DEG even has an intent.

Same here. In fact, I have a playlist that’s a drastically altered Arche with the inclusion of and Zero and Tefu Tefu.