Spike760

Dir en grey

41 minutes ago, Asakusa said:

No no, my mistake, I didn't explained it right

It doesn't sound on cellphones when played without earphones, it's the other way, on the phone's speaker

(damn my english is rusty)

edit: I tried on different phones and just the noises from the intro are there. Maybe the guitar part was recorded in mono (?)

If the guitar was recorded in mono, it should have sounded through mono speakers. When playing audio through mono speakers, (or playing through headphones with mono audio selected), a lot of little things you can hear through stereo sound are gone, but anything mono still remains. I don't know what the science is behind it, I'm no audio engineering expert, and I don't feel like I'm doing a great job explaining this. Another thing to note, is that some smartphone speakers (and small size speakers in general) only have mono sound.

5 hours ago, Asakusa said:

No no, my mistake, I didn't explained it right

It doesn't sound on cellphones when played without earphones, it's the other way, on the phone's speaker

(damn my english is rusty)

edit: I tried on different phones and just the noises from the intro are there. Maybe the guitar part was recorded in mono (?)

Mine is the same so I wouldn't worry. That part is meant to be in stereo so I assume our phones have mono speakers :)

Japanese Diru fans sharing our sentiments on single and album mixes?

I could imagine there are like dozens of boards on Japanese internet like ours with similar, exquisite tastes.

Do Japanese fans complain about mixing/mastering issues over there too?

Edited by Alroy

What happened to @Asakusaalso happened to me with older android speakers when they filtered out Die's harmonic flicka-flickas during certain Vulgar tracks, like Drain Away's bridge part. Die plays that guitar intro on THE IIID, which pretty much confirms my previous observations.

I guess mixers intentionally put Die below the mid-range frequencies while handling his guitar parts, since this does not happen to Toshiya's basslines which are audible in both cases.

Edited by Alroy

Yo!

Remastered Yurameki is the SHIIIIIITTTT!!!

Not a fan of Taiyou no Ao at all, but pushing Toshiya forward in the mix added a nice new dimension. 

FUCK! Mushi still fades out!

Edited by Saishu

Just now listening to Vestige of Scratches, and honestly I wish they would just remaster their entire catalogue from Gauze to WtD. Being able to hear Toshiya and Shinya in Vulgar and WtD makes this shit so much more enjoyable. 

That would be awesome, though there appears to be one or two remasters which I don’t like, such as Yurameki. 

Yurameki sounds better on Gauze, tbh. The “remaster” totally sucked the life out of the bass and drums and they don’t have the same “punch” that they do on Gauze. 

11 minutes ago, blacktooth said:

Gauze has the best mastering on any of their albums. I think it was also significantly higher budget. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are their actual album budgets available?

Does anyone know if they let "the fans" vote on specific versions of songs? Like Clever Sleazoid (album ver) vs Clever Sleazoid (single ver), or is it just a case of the fans vote, the band decides which version they decide they like more for the time being?

1 hour ago, blacktooth said:

Not that I know of, but I inferred it from some sources I read a while back. Gauze was a big deal and had a hefty marketing push.

I don't know Japanese either but based on liner notes on my Gauze copy, they had a hefty lot of recording locations mentioned, and those studios were not just some random petty shacks but more or less VIP kind of spots - booked by Yoshiki himself of course.

So it is easy to say that GAUZE is both their best-selling AND their most expensive album to date. On the other hand, MOAB seemed to be the album that had a very rapid process and only the band themselves involved instead of additional staff, since they were always on the road during their tours and had no time to find a staple spot with all the extras necessary. So is it safe to bet that MOAB might be their least expensive album due to aforementioned factors?

MOAB is their cleanest production to date though - more than just a step up from what WtD was, and slightly better than what Uroboros was with its mushiness.

Edited by Alroy

If I’m not mistaken, I think the entire discography was up for vote. So yeah, it’s possible the single version of Sleazoid got more votes than the Marrow one. 

Tsumi to Batsu 2011 sounds hilarious when it’s censored. Practically half the vocal parts are gone. 

MOAB has that same harsh, unpolished wall of static sound as Kisou. They both also feature some of Kyo’s most “offensive” lyrics. 

I also draw parallels between Macabre and Uroboros, but that’s just me. 

meh, TMOAB is only offensive because of all the Engrish xD I actually like Kisou a lot these days, couldn't stand it in the past bc of how "experimental" it sounds. But wall of sound? Na, can't hear it tbh. But then again, I fail to hear any remastering on VOS, so maybe my ears just suck^^