Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, Asakusa said:

Uggh yeah, the clever sleazoid single comes to my mind. The live songs on it are just plain awful (kyo's "singing" at least)

The worst part is that the harsh vocals in the chorus of Garbage (the “ladies and gentleman” part) was a backing track.

15 hours ago, Saishu said:

They handle Utafumi live better than a majority of the DSS material. 

Facts. The first time they played Utafumi on the DSS mode DVD, they did playback for one of the guitar parts but on the following one, Kaoru actually played that part instead, which worked better.

I agree that DSS could've been handled much better but I think even now it gets wayy too much flack, especially when there's a lot of note worthy performances from that album/tour run. Also the symphonic live versions from that RINKAKU DVD were pretty ballin. It wasn't all bad. 

The only remasters on VOS that sound significantly different are -I'll-, the tracks from VULGAR, Withering to death., and UROBOROS (kind of, they sound much better than the 2012 remasters.). I really wish they'd have just remastered all of VULGAR and Withering to death.

I'm not digging the new Beautiful Dirt or THE IIID EMPIRE. I would have been just happy with remasters of those two. And speaking of re-recordings, including the DSS/UNRAVELING-era re-recordings was offensive, especially OBSCURE. But I still love the new 腐海!

Yes, from what I heard, they remastered the original UROBOROS tracks. No idea why they didn't simply use the R&E versions.

But I can't really hear anything of the supposed remastering, tbh. The only thing that stood out as new was the ending of Myaku (or was it MASK? one of those two).

The gifs with Gara are from the mode of GAUZE extras, iirc.

this release is such a trip, remastered I'll vocals sound better than anything they released post-2007 that involves Kyo;

hearing mentions of "embarrassment" from this band over their fabulous past is surreal when you consider that dwarf sounds like an alcoholic pixie when he sings, and a hangover alcoholic pixie when he growls

vulgar re-recordings they put on this to avoid paying sound engineers extra are unnecessary, the entire first half of CD III is in fact.

I'm curious for the new album direction because I actually liked utafumi when it came out, but my interest for everything dir en grey/sukekiyo is almost dead at this point, their younger and more scenic copycats have completely filled the void of 2002-2005 Deg excellence for me at this point.

I almost forgot how much I love the kiri to mayu remake, tbh. I could listen to Kaoru improvise chugging riffs on a 7 string guitar for hours. Years ago, when they remade Zan, I said the one remake I wanted was Kiri to Mayu, and they didn't disappoint.

And I almost forgot how awful Kyo's voice is on I'll. I mean, it's evident from the very beginning Kyo wasn't the best at staying in key. People thought the IIID Empire remake was bad, and it is; but it's nothing compared to I'll.

Edited by geist

Yes, a lot of people say so, but personally, I find the Rinkaku lives to be the best ever. Tsumi to Batsu and DECAYED CROW from that day are absolutely killing it.

14 minutes ago, geist said:

I almost forgot how much I love the kiri to mayu remake,

This #feels

It’s been a while, but I mostly remember Kyo’s voice completely cracking under the high notes in Lotus. I haven’t watched that DVD since it came out, so I need to check it out again. 

10 minutes ago, Saishu said:

The Kiri to Mayu remake is my favorite of ALL the remakes. I love that the original parts are mostly all still there. 

I think I agree with you. I'm trying to think of another remake I prefer over Kiri to Mayu; but can't think of any at the top of my head.

Certainly nothing on Unraveling, that's for sure.

9 minutes ago, geist said:

Certainly nothing on Unraveling, that's for sure.

I have to disagree "Macabre"

3 hours ago, Furik said:

Damn. Remastered Child Prey goes HARD. 

I'm digging how much harder CD 2 is in general. Dead Tree sounds so much fuller, especially with that audible bassline! 

18 minutes ago, Mamo said:

Macabre is mostly the same track with an added 6 minutes so I personaly consider it more of an expansion than a remake.

Kiri to Mayu is really the best they've done. Although I do like Hydra -666- and Karasu.

I do wish they would've recorded the updated mazohyst of decadence 

8 minutes ago, rekzer said:

I do wish they would've recorded the updated mazohyst of decadence 

I there a live video or something?

Do they have any other unreleased remakes? Other than symphonic and unplugged/acoustic versions.

Edited by Mamo

37 minutes ago, Mamo said:

I completely forgot about Macabre! Another excellent remake, no doubt.