Spike760

Dir en grey

Yeah. The ones the sold on global iTunes are albums and songs the post VK stuffs, so I am not convinced VoS will be sold anywhere but iTunes actually. But we will see.

It’ll end up costing like $30 anyway, which is bullshit for a digital release. Unless you’re just going to download certain songs, but at $1.29 a pop that’s expensive as well. 

46 minutes ago, Saishu said:

It’ll end up costing like $30 anyway, which is bullshit for a digital release. Unless you’re just going to download certain songs, but at $1.29 a pop that’s expensive as well. 

It's a Japanese thing. 🤑

8 hours ago, Mamo said:

It's a Japanese thing. 🤑

Well yeah, but I’m saying it would cost that much because it’s 3 discs of content. iTunes won’t treat it like one album and sell it for $10. 

Spoiler

Kyo wants to embrace (lit. hug?) his past self and tell him “You really did your best at that time”. He acknowledges that he was really angrier back then, notably during Withering to death, and while he is still angry, the expression of it has changed, become more organised. 

Whereas for the UNRAVELING ”rebuilds” he did not even listen to the original songs before re-recording the lyrics, this time he really wanted to ‘respect’ the songs more and try to understand his past self’s intention. 

Despite coming close to accepting his past self, he still feels like it committed something against his present self. 

For him, the goal of the BEST ALBUM is to help get new people introduced to Dir en grey and his voice. He still cannot believe that, at all the tributes and collaborative shows he performed, there were people who were only hearing his voice for the first time. 

For Kaoru, the goal of doing the BEST ALBUM is to give both new ears and previous fans something smoother and broader to listen to, like a stepping stone, rather than asking them to listen to ARCHE  from the get-go. He tought that those who attended the “mode of” tours had not necessarily had the opportunity to listen to the whole range of their sound. 

He revealed that it was Kyo’s idea to redo Fukai. 

Kaoru said that Dir en grey was a troublesome band. 

He wants Dir en grey’s next album to be something that people never heard before, that nobody understands. He believes that, doing the “mode of” tours will cause the other members to get inspired by their older sound for the next album though. 

Die described that he used to write songs more emotionally, thinking that he was good and he was just very excited to make sounds come out in the recording studio. However, now he thinks more and considers working in unison with Kaoru’s sound now. He still gets to have his single, special lines, but they connect and back each other’s sound more compared to before. 

With DECAYS, he used to be conscious about what he did, not to sound like Dir en grey, but now he does not worry anymore, as he thinks more of it like “what is a human being named Die doing at that moment”. 

If I understand correctly, Toshiya had some apprehension to join four other members in the band. He did not know what to be, how to be himself. He feels that it is only on stage that he can be free to express his identity. 

Like Kyo, he seems to be ashamed of the past, but he wants to confront it because that is how you make a better future. That is somewhat what the BEST ALBUM represents for him. 

He worried that the BEST ALBUM would be something that “had to come out”, for the same reason as all other bands do that; basically, forced by the label. However, it was necessarily different because of the fans’ input. (Somehow, he is the only one who mentions this.)

As for Shinya, he felt that mode of THE MARROW OF A BONE was the tour that he appreciated the most, because he had hated it so much when it was released, but now he was able to enjoy those songs. 

In 2012, there was a break and he used it to view his performances and decided to change himself a bit. The sound is more consistent, essentially he gave himself more stamina to deliver with the same strength for a longer period of time. 

Again (like in BURRN!), he talked about how he wishes that Dir en grey recorded songs like every other band, with the melody laid out first.

Apparently, Shinya wanted to be like YOSHIKI so much that he carried a video deck and watched X Japan’s performance before he himself went to do lives. 

from https://yridenergyridenergy.tumblr.com/post/169250059834/phy-vol-11-dir-en-grey-interviews

Edit: Okay maybe new Fukai isn't that good. There are lots of weird random noises all over the song, I think? And it could've used some more power. Hmmmm... I wonder how the other songs sound...

Edited by Seelentau

Love that Shinya hated Marrow. He seems like the most stubborn of the five, so I can see him rolling his eyes thru the entire recording session. 

Fukai is fine, I like the added touches throughout because the original was a bit on the repetitive side. 

Production blows. When is Shinya going to get a decent drum tone?

That was pretty good,but the atmosphere of old Fukai sounds way more darker,so i stay with the original one

would be a wonderful surprise if the next album captures influences of Gauze and Macabre,WTD era,because the best album is kinda

introducing us back to their roots,so...

Edited by Manji 卍

That's true. I completely forgot about Phenomenon today and I love that song. I want them to take an entire album in a left field direction like that though. 

I've yet to listen to Fukai 2018. My favorite Fukai is the one from Vulgar[ism]. 

Holy shit I am actually in love with the new 腐海!!

I'm still not expecting anything incredible with IIID EMPIRE or Beautiful Dirt, but still wanna hear them. And I actually didn't know the other tracks on this were remastered, but actually hearing the teaser vids with my headphones, I can notice the difference (saku, ゆらめき). My opinion on VOS is turning around and I'm starting to get interested. I still think I could have come up with better tracklists for the CDs, and maybe they could have re-recorded some more (older) tracks, but who knows, maybe after a listen or two of the full thing I'll agree that the selection they chose perfectly captures the band's essence ... or something.

And I'm also betting this won't end up on iTunes. If I had to guess, it's 100% because of pre-VULGAR material, and their label must be adamantly against digitally distributing such material for whatever reason. This is speculation on the grounds that DECADE 1998-2002 did not make it to iTunes, but DECADE 2003-2007 did (but I don't know if it's still there).

Awesome, now I am much more motivated to get this Vestige album after knowing their intention doing this in the first place. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

go back 2 vulgar guitar tuning already ffs

I can't stand kyo's current voice

idk if this is the way he ~envisioned~ his singing development or it's years of depression meds fucking with his vocal chords this much, but I dropped this two minutes in

unravelling on 3x studio processing realness

They've got the glitchy electronics from Vulgar back, but the drop tuning still verges on chugfest territory. I wish they would rely less on studio magic in their newer stuff though. I actually liked their one-takes because you could at least feel the space in the recordings.

edit: needs more yurayura

Edited by blacktooth

Compression will be the death of me. Why these dudes keep insisting on cramming everything together into a sonic fuck fest is beyond me. They sit back and listen to the final mix and go “shit yeah this is dope, send it out” 

I’m glad I’m not the only one noticing the glitchy electronics slightly returning to their songs. Sustain the Untruth’s intro had me shooked; new Fukai had my balls drop even more.

5 hours ago, blacktooth said:

They see this as their chance to win the loudness wars. In the late 2010s. 

This isn't a Japanese music industry thing, is it?

Nope, it’s been a universal thing for at least 20 years. I was hoping it was a trend that would have ended by now. 

Not feeling the new Fukai, personally.

It reminds me of the Obscure remake, in that the vocal melodies are so meandering and unsatisfying. Why take a concise, catchy vocal line and change it just to change it? 

Edited by StriderSubzero

I just heard some previews and I was actually pretty impressed by the revamps of some of their old old songs! It's like my tiny old VK heart has closure now hahaha

2 hours ago, StriderSubzero said:

Not feeling the new Fukai, personally.

It reminds me of the Obscure remake, in that the vocal melodies are so meandering and unsatisfying. Why take a concise, catchy vocal line and change it just to change it? 

I mean, to be fair, Kyo has been singing Fukai this way since, what, the Vulgarism tour? It’s not new at this point, just finally committed to a studio version. 

5 hours ago, Saishu said:

Nope, it’s been a universal thing for at least 20 years. I was hoping it was a trend that would have ended by now. 

Record in analog dammit! My life would be complete if Dir en grey used a mellotron.