Spike760

Dir en grey

8 hours ago, ghost said:

I think their best unplugged tracks are between Dozing Green and Hageshisa... They did a great job keeping the original feel and structure of the song while pushing it in a new direction with their current sound at the time. It's like they deconstructed the songs and put them back together with attention to detail while replacing only the parts that needed it.

From Lotus and onwards it feels like their re-recordings were more about updating the sound rather than enhancing what was there before. As a result, you get sloppy and unsatisfying products like "Obscure", "Kiri to Mayu", and a majority of songs off The Unraveling. It's like they used a DSS "fast and heavy" template on songs they weren't sure how to re-record and so they all end up sounding the same.

Are there really unplugged versions of dozing green and hageshisa???

Coz I'm not aware of it

5 minutes ago, Ozileras10 said:

Coz I'm not aware of it

Probably this one for Dozing Green. Not really unplugged for me tho :shrugs:

10 minutes ago, LIDL said:

Probably this one for Dozing Green. Not really unplugged for me tho :shrugs:

Oh, this is the "before construction" version. I thought there was an unplugged one

These songs were performed unplugged (but not released officially):

ザクロ (performed during TOUR07 THE MARROW OF A BONE PREMIUMLIVE)

悲劇は目蓋を下ろした優しき鬱 (performed during TOUR08 THE ROSE TRIMS AGAIN)

蟲-mushi- (performed during TOUR07 THE MARROW OF A BONE on 2007.12.25 at 新木場STUDIO COAST)

輪郭 (last part heard on disc II of 「a knot」LIMITED -2012.10.10 SHIBUYA-AX- during the "for 'a knot'" section)

304号室、白死の桜 (performed during TOUR07 THE MARROW OF A BONE on 2007.12.25 at 新木場STUDIO COAST) [I think I actually have a rip of this one at home, but I don't think it has leaked anywhere]

and probably more :]

An unplugged version of 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 doesn't exist, from what I can see. But there's a symphonic version, released on disc 3 of DSS@NB.

And this is the list of all(?) unplugged songs released as studio recordings:

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み

Conceived Sorrow
The Pledge
Undecided
Agitated Screams of Maggots
我、闇とて・・・
Inconvenient Ideal
Red Soil
流転の塔
Unraveling
The Final
Different Sense
獣慾

Edited by Seelentau

2 hours ago, Ozileras10 said:

Coz I'm not aware of it

Oh man, I meant re-recorded tracks haha. Sorry to induce fake hype.

i don't care much about re-recs bc their live dvds fix the production disasters (basically i get to actually hear toshiya), i.e. the new kickass version of audience killer loop. i also like the live touches they put on their older tracks (toshiya changes up some basslines, clearer guitar sounds/changes in tuning), plus some frills like the segway between undecided --> higeki on the rose trims is to die for.

+1 on hearing them rework zakuro, its one of my favs (it made me pick up bass) but the lyrics are kind of cringe now and if they're still down with the prog train it'd make for an awesome new version

Edited by emmny

Best thing about the new version of Karasu is Toshiya threw in some of those wacky bass noises he had been doing live all along. 

Also, yes, please rework Zakuro. I haven’t been able to listen to it the same way ever since Nega “covered” it. 

3 hours ago, blacktooth said:

When did unplugged Rinkaku happen?

It didn’t? 

Are you reading 獣慾 as “rinkaku”? Because that’s “juuyoku”.

oh never mind, I see it now haha 

Edited by Saishu

3 hours ago, blacktooth said:

When did unplugged Rinkaku happen?

According to my information, it can be heard on Disc 2 of 「a knot」LIMITED -2012.10.10 SHIBUYA-AX-. I will dl it and look for it. :)

Well, it's just the last part of the song, but it can be heard during the "for 'a knot'" section. :)

Edited by Seelentau

15 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

According to my information, it can be heard on Disc 2 of 「a knot」LIMITED -2012.10.10 SHIBUYA-AX-. I will dl it and look for it. :)

Can you share it if you do?

Edit: I should've watched the entire video, lol. This is the acoustic version, I'll upload the unplugged version now, lol.

Edited by Seelentau

I'm one of the few, but for the most part I can't stand a lot of the "unplugged" and "symphonic" versions Dir en grey release. It just sounds like virtual instruments in a DAW and then slapping on Kyo's original vocals at the end. There's some cool stuff here and there; but otherwise, meh. I mean, it's a great way to add "value" to special editions, but that's all it really is to me -- album filler to make you not feel like an asshole for spending $50 on a CD.

The same goes for those god awful Symphonic Versions. Listening to the Mode of Dum Spiro Spero release, not only is Kyo singing out of key half the time; but then those virtual instruments come in and I found myself having to parse through things I enjoyed. The Symphonic Version of LOTUS was OK. Definitely listenable. But Decayed Crow Symphonic Ver.? Really? Why?

I guess that stuff isn't for me.

15 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Edit: I should've watched the entire video, lol. This is the acoustic version, I'll upload the unplugged version now, lol.

Mp3 download?

It’s Jan 3 and I am so upset. I was expecting it to be up on iTunes like all their other previous releases but alas it’s not. 

59 minutes ago, Furik said:

It’s Jan 3 and I am so upset. I was expecting it to be up on iTunes like all their other previous releases but alas it’s not. 

VOS? lol na, it won't get an iTunes release. Not even half of their releases are on iTunes, tbh.