Spike760

Dir en grey

7 hours ago, Saishu said:

I don’t remember that one. Is it basically like it was performed on Uroboros - with the proof in the name of living - which was more or less the Vulgar version at a faster tempo? That’s the version I like. 

I haven't seen that way but it sounds like the one I mean; the exact same as the Vulgar version but a bit faster, a bit heavier, and with TMOAB/Uroboros-era screaming. 

5 hours ago, AverageS said:

Here I sit completely clueless about this latest topic. Maybe it really is time for me to revisit the re-recordings. Any recommendations on where I should start?

Rasetsukoku is a pretty strong re-recording :)

The organ intro to INCONVENIENT IDEAL is pretty damn beautiful, especially with the background video *~*

On the other hand, even a year after its release, Utafumi is still a mess, live.

Edited by Seelentau

The Kiri to Mayu remake was really fun to me, because I loved how almost everything from the original version is still in there. It took a few listens before I “got it”, but it ended up being probably my favorite out of all the remakes. 

Shout out to Tsumi to Batsu as well, though the “PEDOPHILIA” gang vocal in the chorus is a bit much. I expect more subtlety than that from Kyo. 

Just listened through them all and they're so hit and miss XD 

My favourite (although it isn't a 'classic') is the Unraveling remix. My lord...it's so intense and fun! And that peaceful outro is yum! 

I have some DEG stuff waiting in Japan as well, but I didn't want to risk anything being lost in the troubles of Christmas, so I'll give them the shipping order once NYE has passed^^

On 30/12/2017 at 3:58 PM, Seelentau said:

I have some DEG stuff waiting in Japan as well, but I didn't want to risk anything being lost in the troubles of Christmas, so I'll give them the shipping order once NYE has passed^^

Yeah, that's a good idea. A few years ago, I worked in the postal service around Xmas to get a bit of extra money for the holidays. Big mistake. It was such a nightmare, I vowed to never sign up for it again. Now I buy my gifts in November to prevent damage.

This is the first DEG CD I've skipped in ages. Maybe since DECADE. Just doesn't seem worth my money when I have everything already bar those three remakes.

I guess if sukekiyo didn't exist kyo would have enough time to re record most of the old tracks for the best album while preparing the new album.however i felt pleased with the three re records.

I wouldn’t want all the tracks re-recorded, I just wish they had went with better choices. I’m fine with Fukai, but the other two are unnecessary. Why not a studio version of that tighter, less boring version of Mazohyst? Why not re-record Saku so it doesn’t sound like mush?

I for one have never liked the newer lyrics of Fukai. They should've just left it as it is. Their whole 2002-2004 era was really my favorite of theirs and seeing them ruin any songs from the singles then along with any songs from Vulgar really upset me.

I just hope they never touch their magnus opus six Ugly.

the remastered idea was nice,but i'd rather much another re recorded tracks mini album like THE UNRAVELING  than a best album remastered,

with the tracklist below:

1.MASK

2.【KR】 cube

3. PINK KILLER

4. ASH

5 CHILD PREY

6.  -SAKU-

7. EMBRYO

Edited by Manji 卍

How would a re-recording of CHILD PREY sound, though? imo, the songs that come from Kyo's Engrish phase are among their worst.

They're fun to sing along, but I'd never make a statement like @Furik about six Ugly. The title really fits those tracks.^^

I guess, nowadays, DEG's catalogue is like a "high-low-high-low-high" to me. They started of strong with MISSA/GAUZE, then they got weaker with MACABRE, Kisou and six Ugly, VULGAR and Wtd. got them coming back some, then they released TMOAB ._. buut then they steadily got back on track with the latest three albums and The Unraveling. ^_^

9 hours ago, Furik said:

I for one have never liked the newer lyrics of Fukai. They should've just left it as it is.

I just hope they never touch their magnus opus six Ugly.

Yeah, I've always felt the alt vocals version of Fukai was kinda lacking. It's not awful, just very mediocre/forgettable.

Amusingly, I seem to remember that six Ugly's remakes were met with some disdain at the time, particularly children, the original of which had only been released two years prior.

1 hour ago, Seelentau said:

imo, the songs that come from Kyo's Engrish phase are among their worst.

Fuckin' tricky men = Fuck kids are now/Fuck it's an owl. It's easiest if you just ignore the lyrics altogether. I treat them as gibberish for the most part. But he's been throwing English into the songs since they began, so...

Reiketsu Nariseba is still an awesome song.

Edited by Nowhere Girl

Yes I know, but back then it was different. Don't know why he thought he'd have to overdo it.

Another bad example would be the English version of GLASS SKIN and DOZING GREEN. xD

40 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

the English version of GLASS SKIN and DOZING GREEN. xD

I totally forgot about those... probably for good reason. Actually, every now and again I think about breaking out the original UROBOROS, but then I remember this horror and decide against it.

I actually don't care about kyo's pronunciation,as long as I have fun listening to it.when I stopped to listen to the "mode of DVD's " audio rips,I just thought that re records would be really refreshing,like empire and beautiful dirt sounded to me.of course they could have chosen better tracks to re record,but still good and I feel like the only one here who really liked . they must be busy finishing their new album,so perhaps they didn't care much about choosing an especific song and make it sound amazing

Edited by Manji 卍

2 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I totally forgot about those... probably for good reason. Actually, every now and again I think about breaking out the original UROBOROS, but then I remember this horror and decide against it.

But the unplugged songs and the Before Construction ver. of DOZING GREEN are pretty damn amazing :o

9 hours ago, Seelentau said:

But the unplugged songs and the Before Construction ver. of DOZING GREEN are pretty damn amazing :o

True, but those are on disc 2, which is safe. Before Construction ver. is only available on the super expensive limited deluxe edition version of the album which I don't own.

I think their best unplugged re-recorded tracks are between Dozing Green and Hageshisa... They did a great job keeping the original feel and structure of the song while pushing it in a new direction with their current sound at the time. It's like they deconstructed the songs and put them back together with attention to detail while replacing only the parts that needed it.

From Lotus and onwards it feels like their re-recordings were more about updating the sound rather than enhancing what was there before. As a result, you get sloppy and unsatisfying products like "Obscure", "Kiri to Mayu", and a majority of songs off The Unraveling. It's like they used a DSS "fast and heavy" template on songs they weren't sure how to re-record and so they all end up sounding the same.

Edited by ghost

My favourite unplugged is of course The Pledge

I wish they would do unplugged for Zakuro and 24 Cylinder on a record, given they won't ruin it.

I mean, the live acoustic for Zakuro already so good