Spike760

Dir en grey

13 minutes ago, Mamo said:

I love Ain't afraid to die I so wish they would remake that one as it never appeared  remastered on any other album. A new version with a sound similar to that of kaishun would be fucking brilliant. I think Ain't afraid to die is their most lovely and beautiful song. It makes me cry to hear it sometimes. And I think it's so underrated and overlooked by most deg fans. 

Thoughts?

It's actually my favorite DEG song of all time, but please for the love of Dynamite Tommy do NOT remake it. I think it's perfect now and doesn't need a re-imagining. 

41 minutes ago, Mamo said:

I love Ain't afraid to die I so wish they would remake that one as it never appeared  remastered on any other album. A new version with a sound similar to that of kaishun would be fucking brilliant. I think Ain't afraid to die is their most lovely and beautiful song. It makes me cry to hear it sometimes. And I think it's so underrated and overlooked by most deg fans. 

Thoughts?

I never found it to be overlooked, people seem to agree that it was a good song that unfortunately didn't make it to Macabre for whatever reason, but there might not be much to discuss about it at this point since it was just a single with rather underwhelming remixes included. I would not trust Dir en Grey to make good work of it in a remake, however. The song is fine as it is.

As for my personal thoughts on that song, it used to be among my favorites back when I first discovered DeG. I don't listen to it as often today, but it still has a dear place in my catalog as an ever calming and beautiful song I occasionaly fall back onto.

I'd just like to see it on something other than a single.

2 hours ago, ghost said:

It's actually my favorite DEG song of all time

Me too

Just yesterday I listened to the remixes of that song. They both sound winter-y, especially if it's snowing where you are. Give them a try :]

As for re-recordings, I could've seen dead tree on that list.

And as for Kisou, I didn't like it for the longest time. When I really got into DEG, they had just released DSS and I was in my core-phase, so anything that sounded remotely electronic or different was a no-no for me.

But in the last months, I came to enjoy DEG's early days more and more, so now GAUZE is my favourite and I like Kisou a lot as well. But I can still see why one wouldn't like it. It sounds like in-between their VK-era and their western metal-era.

Dead Tree was always kind of boring to me, and the chorus sounds like a creepier version of Kasumi, which is another song I’m not a big fan of. But for me, if you’re going to write a song in 6/8, you need to do more than rely on the “rocking on a boat” rhythm to get my attention. 

13 hours ago, AverageS said:

That indeed is an odd opinion, even more so because as far as I know people tend to ignore FILTH or find it to be about average for a DeG song.

I do not mind Beautiful Dirt but WTD has way better songs that are more deserving of a re-recording.

How come you place Kisou dead last, though?

I think for me it just feels bloated without an engaging flow. Also, there are some songs that are a straight up mess (I'm looking at you, Pink Killer). 

If we're talking oldies, Macabre all the way. Kisou just happens to be an awkward transition between the old school delights of Macabre and the crunchy deliciousness of Vulgar :)@Saishu

Edited by nullmoon

Out of interest, is anyone remotely excited about this compilation? I have all the albums so far but can't see much merit in this, especially when the Decade releases are still relatively recent. It probably would have made more sense to do a new CD covering the last three albums and then tack on the re-recorded songs to the end as bonuses (if you can call them that). 

18 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Incoherent? Na. The lyrics are the same as the normal song.

And I'm not sure about the piano. Kyo said that the recording process was special, in some way.

Typically when the band uses keys and other instruments that deviate from what they play, they bring in guest musicians to perform as they did with ASOM unplugged. A gentleman by the name of "Tadasuke" recorded the piano on ASOM Unplugged. They probably gave him sheet music and had him improvise and then had Kyo scream and wail into a mic for several minutes.

1 hour ago, nullmoon said:

Out of interest, is anyone remotely excited about this compilation? I have all the albums so far but can't see much merit in this, especially when the Decade releases are still relatively recent. It probably would have made more sense to do a new CD covering the last three albums and then tack on the re-recorded songs to the end as bonuses (if you can call them that). 

Something about the Decade releases is very bootleg-y to me, right down to the awful artwork. I’m hoping the remastering in Vestige is decent, but I’m not holding out hope. So if anything I’m excited to have a best collection that seems a bit more focused and professional. 

Edited by Saishu

On a side note, what is Diru's obsession with "shot-in-one-take"? It's not that impressive and doesn't seem like a selling point. It's just them right?

53 minutes ago, ghost said:

On a side note, what is Diru's obsession with "shot-in-one-take"? It's not that impressive and doesn't seem like a selling point. It's just them right?

I imagine they wanted to avoid calling it "Live" because they're in the studio, so "shot in one take" makes sense.

Kinda like "hey, here's the band performing that song in their studio jam space!". It's a "live" take with all the benefits of being in the studio. I guess they're kinda cool? Either way I really doubt it's that big of a selling point.

Edited by geist

1 hour ago, ghost said:

It's just the Japanese go-to term for studio live takes. I'm pretty sure Western band do those too, they just don't call it anything special (I guess?).

While creating the relevant articles in my DEG-wiki, I noticed, the new Fukai version is the only new song we got ever since Utafumi...

I mean, there are two unnamed songs that were played during the mode of~ tours, but those haven't been released yet.

And EM,EM is not a new song. I mean, Fukai still has the old melody, somewhat, but new (or, new-ish) lyrics. So that's a new song in my book.

4 hours ago, nullmoon said:

I'm interested in hearing the re-recorded songs, but otherwise, absolutely not! If it wasn't for the re-recordings, I wouldn't pay this comp any attention at all. I think this one will feel most 'bootleg-y' to me, with the stupid title and the poor tracklist. With the DECADE series, at least they remastered (nearly) everything, and did some edits to a few songs, instead of just copy/pasting everything.

If they were gonna re-record every song in the tracklist pre-2007, I think I'd be more interested.

33 minutes ago, Seimeisen said:

I'm interested in hearing the re-recorded songs, but otherwise, absolutely not! If it wasn't for the re-recordings, I wouldn't pay this comp any attention at all. I think this one will feel most 'bootleg-y' to me, with the stupid title and the poor tracklist. With the DECADE series, at least they remastered (nearly) everything, and did some edits to a few songs, instead of just copy/pasting everything.

If they were gonna re-record every song in the tracklist pre-2007, I think I'd be more interested.

What was edited on the Decade comps? Only thing that stands out to me is they used the single versions of Embryo and Child Prey, and Jealous -reverse- was a cool bonus. The remastering wasn’t that great, more like “let’s jack the volume up so these won’t sound like (complete) shit when you compress them into MP3 files for your iPod!”

Decade also had weird choices like, most of the Marrow tracks they went with. 

And still no Garden, lol. 

1 hour ago, Seimeisen said:

VOS tracks are all remastered versions.

17 hours ago, Mamo said:

Thoughts?

To be fair, there's a handful of great live recordings of it.

TRTA version>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

34 minutes ago, Ro plz said:

To be fair, there's a handful of great live recordings of it.

TRTA version>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

True

44 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

TRTA's Obscure is what I was hoping for when the remake was announced many moons ago. I was so disappointed.  

I don’t remember that one. Is it basically like it was performed on Uroboros - with the proof in the name of living - which was more or less the Vulgar version at a faster tempo? That’s the version I like. 

Here I sit completely clueless about this latest topic. Maybe it really is time for me to revisit the re-recordings. Any recommendations on where I should start?