Spike760

Dir en grey

also speaking of gauze, which one of you mofos wrote this amazon rihvyoowh:

Spoiler

I have lived with this album a long time. Its greatness shines undiminished by familiarity.

Sometimes i call Dir en grey “the Led Zeppelin of Japan” but really, it would only be apt if “Dazed and Confused” were the sunniest & most life-affirming song in the Zep canon. Yet, however bleak or terrifying the sentiments forged in these songs, their control is masterful. Operatic self-loathing & ecstatic grief, meet a rhythm section so tight (think: Tool), guitars so heavy (Cream/Hendrix), a singer so amazing (Kyu must be the love-child of Freddie Mercury & Diamanda Galas), & songs themselves so crafted & melodious, that this must be considered high art as well as inscrutable depravity.

I think back to all the “transgressive” art of the 80s & elsewhere; for the most part, true genius eschews such shenanigans. Here, however, their absence would be inconceivable. A lot of bands, Goth, (Hyphenated-) Metal, ktp go in for “dark” imagery & sounds; for the most part they’re sincere (if superficial)—they love the rhetoric, but it’s still just rhetoric.

I don’t get this from Dir en grey.

When Thomas Mann imagined his allegorically demonic composer Adrian Leverkühn, he is said to have recognized him in real life upon encountering Britten’s Serenade (according to Alex Ross). All i can say is, too bad he did not live to hear Dir en grey.

(Later the band seems to have gone in more for direct assault on the listener, but I still prefer the velvet-fisted glove of Dir en grey on Gauze.)

I'M H E A V I N G, velvet fisted henny did thaT!!!!!

Well, back in the day, the internet wasn't what it is today. Besides, there was no official statement, of course. It's just generally accepted by the Japanese fanbase, from what I know.

I'm not sure what you mean by "back in the day", this thread alone dates back to 2007…

and something generally knewn typically makes its way here through either western a-knot gya (I personally know two, and I'm *not* even huge into making friendsies online), or through tanuki—> netgya —> twitter/tumblr

vk web loves drama, we talked about tommy getting bustedT, but no one really connected their release schedule to that.

nvm he allegedly embezzled way more money than they can earn in CD sales these days.

As I said, it's more of a "theory that is generally thought to be true", or whatever you  want to call it. Dunno why you never heard of it before.^^

It's like the tanuki threads about bangya that bang the band members and all that stuff.

I think I'm gonna be the first person to not dismiss DECADE 1998-2002. That compilation helped me get into the band, and I thought they chose really good songs that gave me an idea of what to expect from the first three albums. It felt like they actually put in some effort with this one, created a decent flow of songs (although opening each disc with a long song was strange), and they didn't include every single, they included a fair share of album tracks. I just really appreciated that it wasn't just every single and only every single in exact chronological order. I'm sure it violently offended people that no MISSA tracks were included, though.

On the other hand, DECADE 2003-2007 never got much attention from me; I had already heard Withering and MARROW by the time I discovered these compilations, and the remastering on the VULGAR tracks was pretty bad.

5 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Also, there's a VULGAR LP out there somewhere. I've never seen it before, but you could win a copy in a lottery. Catch is, only ten copies exist.

I almost fucking screamed when I saw the leaflet that mentioned this!

Also, I saw an auction of the GAUZE 2LP press on Yahoo! a few years ago and it went for $800, but I was too poor to bid.

Decade 1998–2002 was okay, but it was interesting that they went with the single versions of embryo and child prey (former has different lyrics, latter has a different almost Kisou-like mix).

Oh hey @Seimeisen, you're an admin here, cool :D I asked you about the GAUZE LP on discogs a while back, remember?

I've added SO much to DEG's discography since then, and I'm still in the process of finding more. :)

You said back then, the GAUZE LP was probably the holy grail of DEG, but it actually is the VULGAR LP, I'd say. :D

There's also this: https://item.mercari.com/jp/m278431689/ - 45k Yen is about 340€, I could've afforded it but it's long sold, of course.

But I'm in contact with a person who owns the GAUZE LP, they will send me a picture of a number soon, then I know of three confirmed copies, along with #92 and #61 ^_^

1 hour ago, Hakari said:

Not sure if I understand but it looks like they are recording? According to their Facebook

Yeah, i believe its just the 3 remakes, but then it could be a single. Im not very certain. They have the redone songs listed as "shot in one take" versions, so what exactly is being recorded by each member separately?

7 hours ago, Seelentau said:

I suppose y'all don't wanna trade tereko?

NIGGA NO.

And yeah theres no doubt that the pics are just them rerecording the old songs. 

13 hours ago, emmny said:

sustain the untruth is the worst thing DEG have put out post-uroboros i literally feel RAGE at the thought of it

Sounds like something that would have come from a bunch of barely twenty-somethings back in the early ‘00s. It is literally the most pedestrian thing DEG has written. 

I recently listened to Uroboros for the first time in 5 years, and I'm surprised how well it's held up for me. Some of their later releases (Unraveling, Dum Spiro Spero, Arche) quickly lost their shine for various reasons, I could rant for hours about those; but Uroboros still holds up as one of my favorite in the band's discog

7 hours ago, Saishu said:

I just realized I was confusing Beautiful Dirt for Spilled Milk and now I’m really wondering why the fuck they chose to remake it. 

pretty much everything from wtd bleeds together (C, beautiful dirt, spilled milk they literally sound the same)

2 hours ago, geist said:

I recently listened to Uroboros for the first time in 5 years, and I'm surprised how well it's held up for me. Some of their later releases (Unraveling, Dum Spiro Spero, Arche) quickly lost their shine for various reasons, I could rant for hours about those; but Uroboros still holds up as one of my favorite in the band's discog

Definitely my favorite of their later releases. Remastered version is almost perfect, but Toguro’s mix was better on the original version, and the addition of Hydra suxsuxsux and Bugaboo Respira drag it down a bit.  

20 hours ago, Saishu said:

Bugaboo Respira drag it down a bit.  

I personally love Hydra 666, idk if I necessarily love it on the album, but improved mastering from Tue Madsen is OK with me!

and Bugaboo Respira? I don’t even bother lol. I just deleted it because why the fuck do I need that shit? Get rid of that track (and Hydra if you want) and you’ve got virtually the same album! I’m sure this is blasphemy for some, but I can’t be bothered with Bugaboo respira 

anyone believe there's any possibility we'll get a NEW album soon? even late spring is probably too early right, since they're still working on vestige and all? summer maybe? they just toured for an unbelievably long time.. i want them to rest because that can't be healthy but i'm selfish and want to see them. i can't go to japan and NOT see them.