Spike760

Dir en grey

unpopular opinion: mode of vulgar dvd is shit, new versions and the 3rd iteration of ~alternate lyrics~ for fukai, etc. (that ephemeral-minded chanteuse likely made up during live rehearsals) are lazy and overall awful

I absolutely loathe kyo's vocal tuning for this set of dvds, they all have an annoying unravelling-alike layer of processing on top of what she was chugging out in concert

it's fucking with my ears really badly

on the other hand, I'm almost surprised utafumi doesn't sound like a disaster live, I anticipated a full-blown tragic mess with that one.

The Age Quod Performances of the DSS songs sounded much better, granted there were kinks to work out. They were hella raw. 

MODE of DSS sounds too fine tuned. Fine tuned works for older material and ARCHE but it just further proves that album just doesnt translate well in a live setting....

Edited by Ro plz

I don't normally advocate for re-releases. But it would be really great if we could get special re-releases of their older albums like vulgar, kisou, macabre. The only way to get a physical copy of these is to spend 45 bucks on eBay for a supposed "official" release. I'm hoping at some point I can add all their albums to my cd collection without spending a fortune through a 3rd party source. 

14 minutes ago, Hakari said:

I don't normally advocate for re-releases. But it would be really great if we could get special re-releases of their older albums like vulgar, kisou, macabre. The only way to get a physical copy of these is to spend 45 bucks on eBay for a supposed "official" release. I'm hoping at some point I can add all their albums to my cd collection without spending a fortune through a 3rd party source. 

Is something like CDJapan not an option for you? At most you're going to spend $30 for a CD, and there are several options for shipping to help keep the cost down. And at least you'll know it's the real deal and not a bootleg. 

13 hours ago, nekkichi said:

unpopular opinion: mode of vulgar dvd is shit, new versions and the 3rd iteration of ~alternate lyrics~ for fukai, etc. (that ephemeral-minded chanteuse likely made up during live rehearsals) are lazy and overall awful

I absolutely loathe kyo's vocal tuning for this set of dvds, they all have an annoying unravelling-alike layer of processing on top of what she was chugging out in concert

it's fucking with my ears really badly

on the other hand, I'm almost surprised utafumi doesn't sound like a disaster live, I anticipated a full-blown tragic mess with that one.

Wait, you have a problem with the actual lyrics for Fukai? Because Kyo's phrasing and the melody he uses is pretty much the same as what he did way back when on the original Vulgar tour, give or a take a few new flourishes. I don't even know the last time he sang the original "yura yura" version. 

@nekkichi@Saishuyou folks forgot the fact that there were more serious occurences where Kyo's on-site lyrical impros had a bigger effect than just some petty Fukai re-rendition pt. 3 or 4. I mean, His new embryo rendition didn't really match the melody and Kyo suddenly forgetting lyrics in the middle of "Drain away" almost wrecked the flow lol.

And yes, the real downside outside of those lyrical mishaps in all of these DVDs is that they did not even bother to play originals of other songs they remade drastically: why Karasu had no original rendition whereas Undecided had some serious throwback treatment?

edit:

Very obvious mishap

Edited by Alroy

Kyo forgetting lyrics or just not singing at all isn't anything new, though (he forgot lyrics towards the end of Ruten no Tou as well on the DSS DVD), it's just been a rare occurrence since around the Uroboros era. 

I'm guessing they played the original version of Undecided because it flows better with the other songs from Kisou rather than the newer acoustic version. I would have been okay with them playing the old Karasu though. 

15 hours ago, Hakari said:

These albums are available and in new cindition, on Amazon JP tho, heck, I even got Ain't Afraid To Die and their earlier maxi singles there as well, new, though I had to wait some 3 weeks for them to get new batch of pressings before it delivered to me.

10 hours ago, Saishu said:

Wait, you have a problem with the actual lyrics for Fukai? Because Kyo's phrasing and the melody he uses is pretty much the same as what he did way back when on the original Vulgar tour, give or a take a few new flourishes. I don't even know the last time he sang the original "yura yura" version. 

no i'm just moderately annoyed with fukai, it's drain away —interpretative mumbling version—, howling-ridden kasumi and some other tracks I was legit traumatized by.

probably obscure too, I don't have the stamina to go through that torture of a live recording again.

Edited by nekkichi

My biggest gripe with the Dir en grey live recordings of the past god knows how many years is the mumbling and garbling. I think Kyo has improved leaps and bounds in this department as of late, but there are still times where the growls aren't very clean and half of the vowels end up stillborn. I'm not asking for a technically sound performance ( Kyo of 2003/2004 mumbling and leaving out words was awesome ), I just loathe how it sounds to my ear. 

There's some highlights on this though. I like the way he does the chorus for Embryo, Umbrella is really intense and nice renditions of FILTH and Audience Killer Loop as well. MARMALADE CHAINSAW is so much better here than on the Arche DVD. Disappointed about the new versions of Bottom of the death valley and Obscure, and why are Inferno and Un deux on this thing when Ugly isn't. 

1 hour ago, Disposable said:

My biggest gripe with the Dir en grey live recordings of the past god knows how many years is the mumbling and garbling. I think Kyo has improved leaps and bounds in this department as of late, but there are still times where the growls aren't very clean and half of the vowels end up stillborn. I'm not asking for a technically sound performance ( Kyo of 2003/2004 mumbling and leaving out words was awesome ), I just loathe how it sounds to my ear. 

There's some highlights on this though. I like the way he does the chorus for Embryo, Umbrella is really intense and nice renditions of FILTH and Audience Killer Loop as well. MARMALADE CHAINSAW is so much better here than on the Arche DVD. Disappointed about the new versions of Bottom of the death valley and Obscure, and why are Inferno and Un deux on this thing when Ugly isn't. 

Same reason Kaishun and half of Six Ugly are on the Kisou live... because. 

im with y'all, seeing mode of dss made me realize how poorly that shit translated live

i loved the budokan versions, but this really paled in comparison to vulgar and kisou

also filth was...religious

also i didn't listen to all of drain away and i forgot but im so sad kyo butchered that LOL its one of my fav vulgar songs.

4 hours ago, Saishu said:

Hey guys where's my FROM DEPRESSION TO _______ mode of Jealous/I'll tour?!?!

What if they are gonna troll their fans during mode of Macabre tour and somehow make Jealous' reverse version segue into the actual song? (think of I'll->Zan during their '99 Osakajo live but...less astonishing)

B-sides will be eventually played there (I don't think they played SU version of "Children" during Kisou tour) so they better acknowledge their longing old skwl fans and be more than ready to reward them for patience. Any bets on their frequenting Japanese fans not recognizing ASSSSH if they start playing it, guys?

Edit:

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dir-en-grey-43d6c33b.html?song=Ash

We demand justice - it's been 15 effing years!!!

Edited by Alroy

9 hours ago, Saishu said:

Hey guys where's my FROM DEPRESSION TO _______ mode of Jealous/I'll tour?!?!

mode of 虜 or gtfo

Edited by nekkichi

These dudes barely gave enough of a shit to play Gauze, so I expect nothing. 

They may bust out Ash for the Macabre tour though. That seems feasible. 

i hope they can at least fake having fun on macabre better than the shitshoot that was mode of gauze

I want to see the whole take of Berry this time recorded on DVD or something like that (just how do they play the mid-part - is it the same as with Reiketsu?)

Edit: they are gonna disappoint bazillions of Macabre fans if they do not play original "Hydra" during their sets - 666 version would just sound so OFF in the middle tbqh.

Edited by Alroy

I hate both versions of Hydra, though I guess the original worked better as a live song. 

I imagine the middle section of Berry will be mostly a backing track with Die and/or Kaoru noodling about.  

And going back to Gauze, I kind of knew they weren't feeling those songs anymore when they didn't play the jam at the end of Mask. Which, honestly, is the only thing about that song I like. 

Im watching the MODE of Kisou live as i write this and it seems as if they enjoyed themselves WAYYYYY more here than PSYCHONNECT and the various other clips of the other newer DVD's that i peeped. 

1 hour ago, dannemannen said:

So... anything new on the way?

Current mode of...-sets will be compiled in a couple of DVDs after which they would more likely end their own anniversary with a single or so - maybe an album might sound feasible at this point, unless they need helluva time to get their shit together.