Spike760

Dir en grey

1 minute ago, The MAD Stallion said:

Uroko would like to have a word with you.

It sounded great when they played it in London last year :)

4 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

It sounded great when they played it in London last year :)

It does sound great but I still really hate the unnecessary Duo solo...

The rhythm part of the song mixed with the solo is my favorite part of the song. Its non existent in the live which makes that part of the song very lifeless imo

11 minutes ago, The MAD Stallion said:

It does sound great but I still really hate the unnecessary Duo solo...

The rhythm part of the song mixed with the solo is my favorite part of the song. Its non existent in the live which makes that part of the song very lifeless imo

Hmm true, but it at least resembles the song. I fear I would be fighting a COMPLETELY different corner if I'd seen, say, Different Sense XD 

Since Shinya grilling seems to be the hot topic (HEH!) right now - your favorite Shinya drumlines, pt. III?

Mine are pretty much divided between certain MACABRE numbers (e.g. Taiyou no Ao for that continuous buildup/lax reggae amalgamation) and MOAB (since I consider him to be more or less suitable for nu metal-lish drumming instead of attempting to go all prog or deathcore on us)

I think Shinya's best work is on Uroboros, but I do love what he does in the chorus of Rinkaku (the descending toms) and his syncopated drum pattern in the chorus of Kaishun. Actually, I like that be simplified things on Arche. 

anything where he can slow down and do his little frils and fills and tricks and just be the #qween that he's meant to be. im a broken record but he completely obliterates most ballads, ware yami tote is especially gorgeous.

Absolutely.  Also those mid-tempo jams like Toguro and Dozing Green. When he's actually given a chance to groove he sounds great. Stuff like the remake of Kiri to Mayu? Well... the studio version is fine, but first time I heard it I knew it was going to be a disaster live. 

The Budokan show, he actually does a pretty good at it. Seems as if he took his time and practiced how to do it right vs the Tabula Rasa DVD, where it seems as if he's really trying to replicate the studio version as much as he can...which clearly didn't work.

Me likey. 

Also, Second for Uroboros and Rinkaku being Shinya's best work.

Edited by The MAD Stallion

22 hours ago, The MAD Stallion said:

The Budokan show, he actually does a pretty good at it. Seems as if he took his time and practiced how to do it right vs the Tabula Rasa DVD, where it seems as if he's really trying to replicate the studio version as much as he can...which clearly didn't work.

Me likey. 

Also, Second for Uroboros and Rinkaku being Shinya's best work.

But that fill around 1:15... man that is weak. Especially since everyone stops so Shinya can drop that fill. And for the average metal drummer, what's played on the studio version isn't even impressive. 32nd notes across the toms? That's basically a rudimentary exercise for a drummer. 

I honestly don't care about technique. Dir en grey has never been technical, even if they pretend to be. They're about expressing passion. As long as they continue to put as much intensity and effort as they do into each performance and don't become indifferent to the music they produce, I for one will continue to support them. 

DEG is one of my favorite bands, but I'm not going to ignore how inconsistent they've been live for the last five years. And lack of passion is apparently Shinya's problem, because he says he loses motivation or some such when he's on tour. But, again, I think it depends on the material they play. 

Other problem is that I play drums, so my ear tends to dial in on the drums and bass when I listen to music. 

The inconsistency problem is real, so far the only live I can actually stomach is DSS BUDOKAN. Pretty much every single song is performed at its best and Kyo has never sounded better imo.  When I listened to other lives I was surprised at how faulty kyo's voice was live, and so I was just shocked at how well he did in dss budokan. (Not the best example, but he got a perfect score in Sustain the Untruth. Gives me chills) Hence why I can't wait to get my hands on the ARCHE at Budokan, if the perfomance is at the same level it will be something I'll keep coming back to every week. 

Edited by Platy

Honestly, I don't really like their latest albums, though I can time to time listen to them. I think, to me the first two albums are the best of Dir en Grey's art and music.

@Saishu spills the diru tea with every post! yas!

they're pushing themselves very hard stylistically, and imo shinya's the one who hasn't been carrying his weight. im mostly trolling when i say i want to kill him and cheburashka but if he realized that he still has a lot to learn instead of simply leaning on his old technique, diru would end up a lot better. not that he's awful or anything, he's probably the best drummer in vk when it comes to anything other than extreme metal drumming. so yeah basically everyone's right he's inconsistent with his drumming.

I could honestly admit that Uroboros seems to be the most "possible" album in terms of actual live renditions/performances. Even ARCHE (which *was* supposed to be the "live vibe" release in the first place) suffers from various, unconveyable matters in the eventual live context:

-  Kyo has severe difficulties to keep up with his original tempo during faster tracks a la "Revelation"

- "Uroko" sounds very tragic in the vocal and drumming department. MEOWMEOWMEOWMEOW (Kyo had 3 manipulated vocal tracks during "Kyoperas") and lots of wasted potential with those tom rolls. Kinda unbelievable that fans attempt to sweep this issue under the carpet...

- Why is none of the guitarists playing the rhythm part on "Behind" during lives? And yeah, at least double-track Kyo during lives, please.

- Some MH users said that they heavily compress guitars and other instruments during DVD recordings...well they don't! Even the most pro-shot-ish footages showcased that their live mixing does not match their current 7-string/5-string setups (whereas random oldies sound better when done so)

- I have addressed Rinkaku earlier already, no need to delve back.

In that sense, merely "Un Deux", "Tousei", "Midwife" (from what I've heard idk), "Sustain the Untruth" and "The Inferno" were such numbers which they had no major nor noticeable difficulties with.

Passion?

Technique is a prerequisite for being able to project passion or any other feeling. And from what I've witnessed, they do not utilize their possibilities to project the said things well. E.g. Kyo definitely has no professional idea about how his voice truly works in a variety of circumstances, nor does Shinya have any specific interest in realizing whether his e-drumlines make sense in a realistic scenario. Inter-bandmate relations are not my field of interest but I am seriously suspecting that their lack of specific interest towards each other and their expertise is starting to show up too much. Go figure.

Edited by Alroy

Arche is definitely compressed into oblivion, though. Kaishun and Tousei and Phenomenon should be so much more subdued so that when they do reach those dramatic releases, they're much more effective. It's all the same loud-as-fuck volume. But that's common for music in genral, not just a DEG thing. 

On 5/1/2016 at 2:51 AM, Carmelzors said:

their lack of specific interest towards each other

Uuuugh this is the one thing that I really dislike about them! It gives me the impression that this is just a job for them and there is no real joy in working with each other. :/ 

I think there is some interest among them but its very low key. Its hard to imagine that after spending so much time together that there isn't some kind of bond/friendship between them. The most recent example i can think of from the top of my head is Shinya being a buddy and helping promote Toshiya's clothing line by posting a pic wearing one of those shirts. 

As for the comment regarding Guitar sounds, its VERY hit or miss. And this has been an issue immediately once DSS came around. Its very easy to throw all the blame on the mixing but in actuality, i don't think Kaoru or Die know what they're doing to get a proper sound from their 7 string models. Kaoru all of a sudden stopped using EMG's (which sounded great) and switched them out for God knows what he's using now as pickups (but they aren't as great). And Die's 7 string distorted guitar tone as of DSS has always sounded like crap. 

i didn't notice how weird their tone was after sitting through the budokan dvd in shock like...why are they so damn compressed let the guitars BREATHE

Its so bad that it makes me question everything about them. It makes me almost think that  if they are so fucking aloof to that, the brilliance of albums like Macabre might come from the other great producers on their label or something of that sort. But its probably more like they  are just dumb old  rockers now, and they were young mavericks back then.