Spike760

Dir en grey

decayed crow is one of my fav songs on DSS....that weird psychedelic guitar part in the verses is so fucking cool, i just wish shinya's pussy ass would decide to learn a fucking blast beat instead of that demented snare abuse he does.

He did, didn't he? ;) The Inferno features short blast beat sections.

i think the only place he actually blasted was in revelation of mankind

oh and also the beginning of inferno does sound like blasts, ur right.

im dont know much about drumming but i think dir en grey could benefit from a little more proficient DM drumming in addition to shinya's great fills and groovy parts.

Speaking of drumming:

I really wish that Shinya would not resort to these unnecessary metal/rock drumming trends such as blasting or snare abuse, and instead stick to his technical finesse from earlier albums in the vein of Macabre, Kisou and perhaps even Uroboros in the lighter department:

Those odd signature pauses make my day~

One of their most known ballads happens to have one of the most "important" drumlines in DEG history imho

Very Rush-y drumline right there :P

And if we have to name a few numbers that most disagree with, I think "Taiyou no Ao" has one of the simplest, yet the most intriguing drumlines in DEG repertoire - Foo Fighters' Everlong-meets-march drumming in that "summer ballad" really managed to capture my attention in a special way throughout my fanboy days :)

I think he should gain some influence from Steve Moore. Or that white haired asian drummer from the My Way video. He's cool too.

Speaking of drumming:

I really wish that Shinya would not resort to these unnecessary metal/rock drumming trends such as blasting or snare abuse, and instead stick to his technical finesse from earlier albums in the vein of Macabre, Kisou and perhaps even Uroboros in the lighter department:

Those odd signature pauses make my day~

One of their most known ballads happens to have one of the most "important" drumlines in DEG history imho

Very Rush-y drumline right there :P

And if we have to name a few numbers that most disagree with, I think "Taiyou no Ao" has one of the simplest, yet the most intriguing drumlines in DEG repertoire - Foo Fighters' Everlong-meets-march drumming in that "summer ballad" really managed to capture my attention in a special way throughout my fanboy days :)

i love all those songs for that style of drumming that shinya does--its vaguely atmospheric imo and it fits the songs flawlessly; but the attack is missing from the heavier songs like different sense, decaying crow, the inferno which is where the blasts have a place. shinya's a phenomenal drummer in some places but just lazy in others (the whole red soil double bass thing)

There's a difference if you're a drummer with versatile style knowing how to fit patterns to the overall mood of the song, or if you're being being random just for the sake of it (because you know you can't do it any better), like Shinya is. He's a decent pop rock drummer, but really nothing more. And I think it's just fine to suggest him to elaborate on those "unnecessary metal/rock drumming trends" (just... oh my god..) since it's exactly what many of the newer songs would need to punch much more, such as the whole midsection of Diabolos f.e..

EDIT I think it's a bad thing now for drummers like Axe to include those "trends" into 10min sections of progressive metal drumming without ever sounding boring or pretentious.

That is some fine drumming. Can't be compared to Shinxas random bell snare ride pseudo-fill combos with no punch or feeling whatsoever.

tbh i like the drumming in zakuro and ware...yami tote more than any opeth song

technically speaking shinya doesnt compare but its not always about skill and flashyness

I'm happy to see someone else sharing my opinion on Shinya's drumming not being all that. Always thought his drumming was the weakest link on Uroboros. I love the album, but the reason I am not giving the album a perfect 10 is because of the drumming which I feel is very lacking. To me it just sounds like he's doing a lot of his playing just for the sake of playing and putting himself out there, rather than because it helps taking the music to another level. Ew.

Jam session-ish? Looks like I missed something...

Either way:

Decayed Crow (remix by NARASAKI) > Decayed Crow > Decayed Crow (remix) > ... > The inferNAWHELLNO

Narasaki made the song much radder than it was earlier :P

Speaking about the remix by NARASAKI, the noise sound was made by axonox (ENDON)

This question might be out of everyone's league but are Gan-Shin/Okami records still managing Dir's "EU department"? As far as I remember, they stopped working with a couple of western promoters/labels (e.g. The End Records*) so I thought if that were to affect their ties with Okami as well.

Also, on-topic: Shinya is not a metal drummer. (news at eleven, duh!)

*After DSS, a.k.a 2012-ish

This question might be out of everyone's league but are Gan-Shin/Okami records still managing Dir's "EU department"? As far as I remember, they stopped working with a couple of western promoters/labels (e.g. The End Records*) so I thought if that were to affect their ties with Okami as well.

A quick Google search would have yielded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan-Shin

http://www.okamirecords.de/20-0-bands.html

I believe it logically follows that, yes, Dir en grey are still a part of Okami. This decision was further strengthened with the absence of Dir en grey from the End Records website, and no updated merch on the label's store, The Omega Order. If they weren't a part of, or affiliated with Gan-Shin / Okami, they would not be featured so prominently on their site.

As someone who honestly didn't understand why The Inferno was written at first...

...I am now probably one of it's biggest supporters somehow loll

We just became best friends.

Also, WHATS THE DEAL WITH NO US RELEASE OF ARCHE?!

A quick Google search would have yielded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan-Shin

http://www.okamirecords.de/20-0-bands.html

I believe it logically follows that, yes, Dir en grey are still a part of Okami. This decision was further strengthened with the absence of Dir en grey from the End Records website, and no updated merch on the label's store, The Omega Order. If they weren't a part of, or affiliated with Gan-Shin / Okami, they would not be featured so prominently on their site.

-_-

Okay okay I kid, well I do know how to google search those details BUT usually such "known" Japanese acts both in the vk and non-vk department (let's say, Gazette for instance and JPU records) tend to inform whether they are about to start a new deal with label X and so on. DEG posted none after THE UNRAVELING, and the jury is still out on the label who'd be responsible for spreading Arche abroad. Sure thing, Gan-Shin MIGHT be doing that shit (then again, no official news! So it's all speculations for now) in EU, but what about US? I highly doubt that Firewall div. took these responsibilities as well...

edit: oh look, someone actually questioned the US release hassle, lol.

Okay okay I kid, well I do know how to google search those details BUT usually such "known" Japanese acts both in the vk and non-vk department (let's say, Gazette for instance and JPU records) tend to inform whether they are about to start a new deal with label X and so on. DEG posted none after THE UNRAVELING, and the jury is still out on the label who'd be responsible for spreading Arche abroad. Sure thing, Gan-Shin MIGHT be doing that shit (then again, no official news! So it's all speculations for now) in EU, but what about US? I highly doubt that Firewall div. took these responsibilities as well...

edit: oh look, someone actually questioned the US release hassle, lol.

Yeah. I'm not really knowledgeable on band activities with labels and all that stuff; but at first glance it looks a little convoluted. Something like their contract with The End Records could have only consisted of a requirement to release a few albums, tours, and then they'd be done; but who knows?

The worst part of this is that this was the same performance that was on the ARCHE DVD. 

Nothing new bout this at all.

Kerrang got trolled.