Spike760

Dir en grey

Oh man the second days set totally blew the first one out of the water man. Stoked for this release!!!

Can't believe I missed out on the chance to be there even more now haha ;-;

can you please tell more?

if I got it right, after the first encore, some video has started to play - with THE FINAL playing along over the PA.

then the band went onstage to play Saku.

is that correct? what video was that?

Yeah thats correct! The video were showing them performing the song  in a studio and some live clips. The lyrics were also displayed.

Saijou no Uta and Umbrella. I'm glad they were pro-shot.

I quite liked the Uroboros Budokan DVD so I might grab this one...provided it gets stocked in stores here (like DSS and The Unravelling and pretty much everything but the Uroboros era releases didn't).

New tour seems to connect to the first major tour in 99...whatever that's going to mean

EDIT wrong thread lol

I was suprised to see Kyo smiling during the budokan live. Maybe this is a common thing for their lives in Japan, but i haven't seen it before,well only on the 1999 Osaka j hall dvd .

I was suprised to see Kyo smiling during the budokan live. Maybe this is a common thing for their lives in Japan, but i haven't seen it before,well only on the 1999 Osaka j hall dvd .

Kyo smiling isn't really that rare. All across the EU and NA tours he is constantly seen grinning after the shows, and even in some cases with a big smile on his face.

Man, can't believe how terribly the cgi in those -mode of adam-/-mode of eve- vids has aged.

I have seen both days ... and it was just incredible

at the last FINAL song.. .the whole stadium sung the song... I was sooooo moved !

and then yeah they came back to play Saku as last encore... it was really great

and  its actually not rare that kyo is smiling... at all 6 lives I have seen he smiled after the concert...

Budokan was the best Think ever!

I really hope they will do a great LIVE DVD with this

Kyo smiling isn't really that rare. All across the EU and NA tours he is constantly seen grinning after the shows, and even in some cases with a big smile on his face.

Where did this impression that Kyo was an always depressed, serious man come from anyway? I see so many fans who talk about him as if he was a completely humourless, grim person who constantly thinks about how much life sucks all day.

I think that's probably because of the band's image or so. People often tend to confuse a performer's image with their actual personality. Though I'm not a fan and know very little of the band, from what I've seen they seem like a really serious, ambient band on stage, but that doesn't mean the guys are all like that on a personal level. Plus their interviews are also somewhat more serious, but I remember a video where Shinya and Kyo were at a regular TV show and Kyo smiled quite a bit in between talking about the new release and his idols.

I work at ikea in japan and yesterday Die came by with his girlfriend.

I got pretty surprised :D I said i was a fan and could shake his hands :P

Ah how cool! I work at IKEA at switzerland!

How the fuck is Dir en grey still even doing anything? I just heard some bits from Tour13 GHOUL, and was REALLY fucking disappointed. How has Shinya regressed THAT much?

^ it's even one hell of a miracle that DEG's "kouhais" a la RES' Mika for instance can do better (actually, I never had any opinion about Mika back when he was in RES...he was just that unremarkable, methinks).

Yeo, Mika's been the man since RES. Seriously solid drumming on all of Megiddo, and Bottom of Chaos. No wonder Kyo chose the band he did for his project. Insanely talented boys.

Seriously, Shinya sucks for 4-5 years now, ever since they started the faster, heavier stuff. And seriously it sounds to me that the people on the Sukekiyo review site shitstorming Dir en grey relentlessly never really listened to something else than Dir en grey, or at least that kind of music. Like "OH WHAT A REVELATION, there are other ways the guitars and drums can be used?"

Why always compare the two? Sukekiyo are Sukekiyo, Deg is Deg. Deg doesn't do technically complex stuff, that's just something to expect from the band. They came out of a very simple form of rock, and they didn't really progress in terms of technique. Like ever. And the most obvious link is Shinya. And even calling Dir en grey out to make a good enough follow-up..like what the fuck? Why should they? This is not some kind of rivalry. People should know good enough that each of the bands have entirely different composers of entirely different musical backgrounds. Nagoya-inspired progressive whatever on one hand, and western-inspired avant garde sludge whatevercore something on the other. (Dir en grey compositions are cheap? Fine. Rammstein are too. Nirvana too, by the way. So what? If you don't like the way Dir en grey is managed musically, guess what. Maybe you should search for another kind of music. And if you like Sukekiyo, surprise! You found it.)

This is just so messed up. Good, ok. Dir en grey "made it", so they're open to this sort of a feel of need to critizise the band to counter the hype around them, whenever there is an opportunity. "Sukekiyo is a good release..oh by the way Dir en grey sucks and DSS was a shitload of fuck..just sayin...". We.get.it. It's like people are relieving their stress from a trauma they got from meeting a furious Dir en grey fanatic.

Ah yeah and to the discussion: nearly every professional drummer on this planet is better than Shinya, and Kyo probably looked for people to fit his sort of style, I don't suspect a technical approach.

EDIT I apologize for that, but.it just had to get out there.

Either way it really fills the void for "newer" material. The approach they've took with Stu was pretty unsurprising, seeing as how they've been getting in touch their roots. Shinya is a weak link though. Dunno why homeboy doesn't practice. 

More Opeth-ian style stuff in the next album though for sure. They seem to like grandeur, and those savage riffs are perfect for their recent direction. I'd like to see an inclusion of more jazz oriented powerviolence sound ala Naked City. Kyo's avant garde vocal stylings as of late could very well be suited for that style.

@nek Don't even know what that means :D I was just furious nothing else. I don't even listen to Deg right now.

What is Dir en gray stans? (english not my first language)

Seriously, Shinya sucks for 4-5 years now, ever since they started the faster, heavier stuff. And seriously it sounds to me that the people on the Sukekiyo review site shitstorming Dir en grey relentlessly never really listened to something else than Dir en grey, or at least that kind of music. Like "OH WHAT A REVELATION, there are other ways the guitars and drums can be used?"

Why always compare the two? Sukekiyo are Sukekiyo, Deg is Deg. Deg doesn't do technically complex stuff, that's just something to expect from the band. They came out of a very simple form of rock, and they didn't really progress in terms of technique. Like ever. And the most obvious link is Shinya. And even calling Dir en grey out to make a good enough follow-up..like what the fuck? Why should they? This is not some kind of rivalry. People should know good enough that each of the bands have entirely different composers of entirely different musical backgrounds. Nagoya-inspired progressive whatever on one hand, and western-inspired avant garde sludge whatevercore something on the other. (Dir en grey compositions are cheap? Fine. Rammstein are too. Nirvana too, by the way. So what? If you don't like the way Dir en grey is managed musically, guess what. Maybe you should search for another kind of music. And if you like Sukekiyo, surprise! You found it.)

This is just so messed up. Good, ok. Dir en grey "made it", so they're open to this sort of a feel of need to critizise the band to counter the hype around them, whenever there is an opportunity. "Sukekiyo is a good release..oh by the way Dir en grey sucks and DSS was a shitload of fuck..just sayin...". We.get.it. It's like people are relieving their stress from a trauma they got from meeting a furious Dir en grey fanatic.

Ah yeah and to the discussion: nearly every professional drummer on this planet is better than Shinya, and Kyo probably looked for people to fit his sort of style, I don't suspect a technical approach.

EDIT I apologize for that, but.it just had to get out there.

This. So much.

I think a lot of this supposed "rivalry" or bashing stems from people's distaste in STU, hell even possibly Rinkaku and The Unraveling. Its pretty much just spite. And its not as if we didn't know that DIR EN GREY was going to take it down a notch. Kaoru specifically stated MULTIPLE times that their newer releases are going to be simple and quite honestly, its understandable. They successfully progressed substantially after the Marrow of a bone to Dum Spiro Spero. That takes a lot, especially having to deal with 7 strings vs 6 strings and fairly complex song structures. To want to tone down, while still keeping the essence of groups sound for a while is OK. It shows maturity. It shows that they too are human beings who know when to take necessary breaks. There are other bands other than DIR EN GREY that one may listen to at the end of the day if one isn't happy with the direction the band is going in. The end.

This sudden spark of "hate" is what's the popular thing to do. And while Kyo is the front man for Dir en grey, he doesn't even have that much musical say compared to Kaoru or Die. So if anything the comparison music wise vs Sukekiyo makes absolutely no sense...

As far as Shinya goes, he is one of my favorite drummers but its no secret that once the band started treading into more difficult territory, he's flawless in the studio but live, he cannot hold his own for some reason. Kaoru and Die have done a better job being clutch on the areas they may have had issues in, but I consistently notice the same minor screw ups in every single recent live DVD release. I dunno if its him not practicing or what....Chances are, the newer stuff they'll be playing will be better for him.