Spike760

Dir en grey

i don't want to sound corny but i will probably.

but what i always liked about deg is i feel like i watch some strange poet singing,expressing his thoughts.and not just a singer of a band that just looks pretty there on stage singing or a metal guy who just wants to look macho .

i mean it's more artistic. he isn't afraid to break himself in stage in order to express himself.

maybe that can make someone greater performer in evoking emotions of people.except talent.

maybe that's why people are so willing to overlook the out of tune or the imperfection

Most people are are willing to overlook imperfection live as long as they have a good time. I, as most of you, have been at plenty of concerts, but the only time I've had problems with vocalists not hitting the notes, smaller fuck-ups or bands not being tight is when I've been bored and felt that the band sucked. This goes for pretty much every single human being I know as well.

And when it comes to expressing themself, Kyo isn't unique that way. Pretty much every single musician, be it a vocalists, guitarist, drummer or whatever, does that. But everyone does it in different ways. Sometimes it can be harder to notice, but still.

Most people are are willing to overlook imperfection live as long as they have a good time. I, as most of you, have been at plenty of concerts, but the only time I've had problems with vocalists not hitting the notes, smaller fuck-ups or bands not being tight is when I've been bored and felt that the band sucked. This goes for pretty much every single human being I know as well.

i agree with that

but you can have good time with a lots of things for different reasons

it depends of what kind of entertainment you are asking for and what you want

And when it comes to expressing themself, Kyo isn't unique that way. Pretty much every single musician, be it a vocalists, guitarist, drummer or whatever, does that. But everyone does it in different ways. Sometimes it can be harder to notice, but still.

but i have to disagree when it comes to expressing or evoking emotion deg as a band is pretty special

kyo is not the only one who is not afraid to break himself on stage.but also a lot of artists are just more simple.

but of course you also need talent to do that

Ok it is well known what Kyo's attitude to singing live is (for anyone who read) and that someone should expect him jumping around, getting out of breath or choosing the most difficult way of singing whereever he can. It may be uncomfortable for fans who normally listen to "regular" live jrock bands, but it is what it is when it comes to Dir en grey. This grade of expression is far from being unique in the music scene, but it does shine out of jrock acts. Dir en grey performing is not about bringing out sterile studio quality, and that's what so many fans love about the band.

Dir en grey performing is not about bringing out sterile studio quality, and that's what so many fans love about the band.

Really? If anything, that's the most common complaint I see about Dir en grey.

I was not talking about the instrumentals, only Kyo. Sry for confusion. Of course I also complain about Kaoru or Shinya fucking up, but with Kyo.. I mean it's difficult since that guy likes to "fuck up" on purpose and doesn't make a secret out of it either. Fans should be aware of that.

EDIT and I rarely hear complaints about Kyos singing style live. In the VK scene I encountered most ones, which is... not surprising to me.

Isn't charm through imperfection the entire appeal for older vkei? (1991~2006 or so) At least, that's what it is for me.

Basically yes.

And about complaints towards this "imperfection" performance-wise: it's something what you could witness mostly these days only, not like 5-7 years ago - when vk listeners weren't really consisting of "pedant melomaniacs" (I don't ever remember early batsu/Tonberry people talking about "production quality" and such matters ~actively~)

When people said that DEG's performances back in 2005-late 2006 had some "raw edge" in them, they were almost 100% correct about it - there are  many cases where certain "mess-ups" might lead to positively interesting outcomes (example read: each "Kodoku" performance by them is something I find very entertaining. Why?  I have grown fond of Kyo intentionally skipping the verse part just to mutilate himself "for no apparent reason" - and bark unintelligibly throughout the end)

Just my two cents.

I vaguely remember that conceived sorrow, as well as few other tracks (fatal believer and something else) first surfaced as rather clean bootlegs from their pre-MOTB fall/winter tour.

might have been one of those.

I don't think any deg studio demo would ever have a chance to leak tbh.

DSS Budokan gig, the 1st day's setlist :

狂骨の鳴り

THE BLOSSOMING BEELZEBUB

DIFFERENT SENSE

OBSCURE

LOTUS (Symphonic Ver.)

Unknown.Despair.Lost

AMON (Symphonic Ver.)

-INWARD SCREAM-

唾 (Tsumi to Batsu)

滴る朦朧 (Shitataru Mourou)

dead tree

-INWARD SCREAM-

鴉 (Karasu)

VINUSHKA

繭 (Kiri to Mayu)

暁 (Akatsuki)

THE FINAL

-Encore-

VANITAS

SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH

蒼い月 (Aoi tsuki)

THE IIID EMPIRE

C

残 (Zan)

Aoi Tsuki? Wonder if it's any different from goddamn long Blitz version?

Lol will they ever ban Obscure from their setlist? I wonder how much the second setlist will differ from this. And they really understand how to throw in these little gems like Aoi Tsuki... I hope the song doesn't get pervertized as much as Byou Shin with non fitting growls and that shit.

BUDOKAN day 2 setlist:

01. 狂骨の鳴り / Kyoukotsu No Nari
02. MACABRE
03. 流転の塔 / Ruten No Tou
04. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa
05. 「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨
06. 獣慾 / Juuyoku
07. DECAYED CROW
08. Bottom Of The Death Valley
    INWARD SCREAM
09. かすみ / Kasumi
10. 砂上の唄 / Sajou No Uta
11. 孤独に死す、故に孤独。 / Kodoku Ni Shisu, Yueni Kodoku.
    INWARD SCREAM
12. THE BLOSSOMING BEELZEBUB
13. 業 / KARMA
14. Unraveling
15. DIABOLOS
    Encore 1
16. 輪郭 / Rinkaku
17. Umbrella
18. 羅刹国 / Rasetsukoku
19. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH
    Encore 2
20. THE FINAL (Played over PA for a video featuring some in-studio and live footage)
    Encore 3
21. 朔-Saku-

it all ends up on a DVD and blu-ray DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN set for release in July.
last time Umbrella was performed was back in 2006.

BUDOKAN day 2 setlist:

01. 狂骨の鳴り / Kyoukotsu No Nari
02. MACABRE
03. 流転の塔 / Ruten No Tou
04. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa
05. 「欲巣にDREAMBOX」あるいは成熟の理念と冷たい雨
06. 獣慾 / Juuyoku
07. DECAYED CROW
08. Bottom Of The Death Valley
    INWARD SCREAM
09. かすみ / Kasumi
10. 砂上の唄 / Sajou No Uta
11. 孤独に死す、故に孤独。 / Kodoku Ni Shisu, Yueni Kodoku.
    INWARD SCREAM
12. THE BLOSSOMING BEELZEBUB
13. 業 / KARMA
14. Unraveling
15. DIABOLOS
    Encore 1
16. 輪郭 / Rinkaku
17. Umbrella
18. 羅刹国 / Rasetsukoku
19. SUSTAIN THE UNTRUTH
    Encore 2
20. THE FINAL
    Encore 3
21. 朔-Saku-

it all ends up on a DVD and blu-ray DUM SPIRO SPERO AT NIPPON BUDOKAN set for release in July.
last time Umbrella was performed was back in 2006.

They did not actually play the Final live, the track just played during a video

Edited by Mind of the sun

They did not actually play the Final live, the track just played during a video

can you please tell more?

if I got it right, after the first encore, some video has started to play - with THE FINAL playing along over the PA.

then the band went onstage to play Saku.

is that correct? what video was that?