Sparrow

Do you 'hear' furitsuke in songs?

This is a question for anyone who is living or has lived in Japan and gone to lives here. Have you found yourself listening to songs for the first time and heard some part of the music that makes you think you know which common furitsuke movement happens there? Just today I was listening to an old Gazette B-side and thought at one point, "this part feels like oritatami." It's been happening a lot in the past couple of weeks for bands I've never even seen live before and I'm curious if others have experienced it.

Yup, all the time (when it comes to VK).

Some people don't like furi, and sometimes a band's furi is just boring like waving your arms and stuff, but I think when either the band or their gya have done it the right way, it's kind of another way of "feeling" or interpreting the music.

I definitely "feel" the furi when listening to certain songs. Although, I don't have as much experience with lives in Japan as some people, I think it's kind of intuitive once you've been to a few. 

I think it's work putting a thread together for people who are curious or want to learn more about furitsuke.  There is some information available on western blogs but they're old or broken. 

haven't been, but see too many live clips not to know which musical bits go with headbang, mosh, jumping, gyakudai, etc

Haha, I would not have thought about it until this thread... but having been to a few VK shows I now will absolutely think to myself "oh this has got to be the bit they jump back and forth across the venue during" or "I bet this three minute song takes 15 during a concert".

12 hours ago, Sparrow said:

Just today I was listening to an old Gazette B-side and thought at one point, "this part feels like oritatami."

There are names for the different moves??

Edited by The Reverend

Yes, I frequently find it’s easy to “hear” the basic furitsuke.

IMO this is a characteristic shared by all kinds of dances and their matching danceable music. Waltz, Charleston, twist, twerk. You can identify them by the rhythm. Furitsuke is just the same. I imagine most (all?) bands write song arrangements while thinking about this — if you want a song that’s going to raise the crowd energy by being easy to dance to, it has to have a structure and rhythms that are easy for fans to match to popular dance moves.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:19 AM, qotka said:

I banned myself from listening to vkei on public transportation because of this.

I can't, this is too accurate for me. I've been probably stamped as a lunatic for doing this basicly everywhere... :D 

Maybe i just have a severe epilepsy... JK!

When I first listened to the song Evil Disco by Fest Vainqueuer, I thought, this would definitely have a nice furitsuke.

After attending their live, I'm now always dancing to this song like this... so I can't listen to it any more in public, lol.

On 10/11/2017 at 1:19 AM, qotka said:

I banned myself from listening to vkei on public transportation because of this. 

I can relate to this on a deep and personal level.

I noticed this year that I keep doing furi to a bunch of songs I've heard live and guessing furi for some others.

Actually, it goes back to last year, but I only noticed it a little while ago. Glad to know it's a thing and I'm not just too intense with this scene.