Sign in to follow this  
saishuu

Visual Kei coverage in 関ジャニ∞'s TV show

Apparently 関ジャニ∞ (Kanjani∞, a group from Johnny's) decided to cover visual kei in their show yesterday and it was actually really good?!

鬼龍院翔 from ゴールデンボンバー, as well as DAIGO and 1/2 of SID were the musicians invited to talk about VK history and where the scene is today. And even more importantly, they were there to give praise to the greatest VK band ever, LUNA SEA. #recognizeit

Here's the full show (in Japanese w/o subs:

Interesting parts:

• Kiryuin Sho is actually a super knowledgeable guy. Who would have thought that someone from Golden Bomber would be the best and biggest spokesperson for VK in 2017?
  • They split visual kei in decades in a fairly usual manner: 80's as creation, 90's as the boom, 00's as neo visual kei and 10's as nothing is happening and no one is famous or good enough to break into the mainstream
  • DAIGO was a member of 黒夢's fanclub back then and was a huge 清春 fanboy
  • They discuss whether L'Arc~en~Ciel and GLAY are visual kei bands; Laruku doesn't really get mentioned a lot, but GLAY is described by Kiryuin Sho as "VK to show your parents" which is 100% accurate
  • Meanwhile, DIR EN GREY is "VK you enjoy by yourself" which even then is a stretch
  • They play "I for you" by LUNA SEA and it sucks; Mao from SID is the best vocalist out of the three by a mile
  • Forgot any other cool tidbits, so just watch it! It's honestly worth it.

Thanks to @cvltic(emma, if this isn't you, blame @itsukoii) for pretty much all the info (I'm lame and don't speak Japanese at all).

Edited by saishuu

that golden bomber person is on every other recent collab/cover album too

12 minutes ago, saishuu said:
  • They split visual kei in decades in a fairly usual manner: 80's as creation, 90's as the boom, 00's as neo visual kei and 10's as nothing is happening

well... golden bomber happened. I appreciate the humblebraggedness of her appearance tho.

20 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

well... golden bomber happened. I appreciate the humblebraggedness of her appearance tho.

Actually memeshikute is a 2009 song so... it counts as a 00's boom byproduct too, technically...

8 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

*nothing is happening besides Golden Bomber

there you go, sis

Lol at Sho saying that Malice Mizer inspired him to become a musician because they performed by dancing without playing instruments. 

Too bad Subaru wasn't there. Would have been interested to see him join in for I for You. Well, at least Murakami didn't sing.

Edited by violetchain

This TV show sounds interesting I hope will have subs for understand more some parts, I'm not really surprised at Kiryuin Sho knowledge of this subject.

When they talked about the 10's I'm ok with them about the trio Nightmare/SiD/The GazettE , I can understand why they add An Cafe on theirs list but the the presence of SuG leaves me perplexed even if they did op/ed anime they never had the same boom and popularity like An Cafe had or Nightmare/SiD/The GazettE

On 10/10/2017 at 12:45 AM, saishuu said:

• Kiryuin Sho is actually a super knowledgeable guy. Who would have thought that someone from Golden Bomber would be the best and biggest spokesperson for VK in 2017?

Sho is super talented and was an avid VK fan long before Golden Bomber came on the scene. Seriously the amount of instruments he can play probably rivals Gackt at this point. No one else in GB has musical talent tho lol

Better him to present than some nobody current band or Yoshiki, who would turn it into an X bragging special.

Edited by jaymee

Sign in to follow this