Kyo_Toriko

DIMLIM

5 hours ago, Joel said:

I do agree with you, however, how would a cease and desist work in this scenario? Wouldn't someone automatically relinquish the rights to the music if they leave the band and gets replaced?

Yeah I don’t know. That’s why I don’t think rights are the issue here. They WERE playing pre-Chedoara stuff after Issei left, so I think it’s just a choice they’ve made as they move away from that material stylistically.

I think the music belongs to the band and not to the composer, so in this case I'm prone to think it's just the current band members deciding not to play those songs anymore. Which is stupid, but that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Wakarimashita said:

I think the music belongs to the band and not to the composer.

That is incorrect in Japan. The music belongs to the label.

1 minute ago, Komorebi said:

Which would make this pretty confusing since at the time I'm pretty sure dimlim's label was just a made up name they could slap on stuff 

Just now, chipathy said:

Which would make this pretty confusing since at the time I'm pretty sure dimlim's label was just a made up name they could slap on stuff 

I was talking about the general industry.

In Dimlim's case then the label might have been Isseis. 

Anyway, while they probably don't want anything to with that era, I don't rule out Issei giving them a call and claiming his rights back after seeing a setlist floating around.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:36 AM, Saishu said:

Yeah I don’t know. That’s why I don’t think rights are the issue here. They WERE playing pre-Chedoara stuff after Issei left, so I think it’s just a choice they’ve made as they move away from that material stylistically.

Yeah, I think you're right about them just making the choice to move away from it unfortunately, they definitely were playing old stuff after Issei left as they did when I saw them. + Further evidence of just moving away from the heavier stuff is that they don't play anything from the silent song either, which didn't have any involvement with Issei. (As far as I know, but as he'd left before that it seems unlikely)

On 10/19/2019 at 2:38 PM, Komorebi said:

You guys do know that any band that signs a contract with a label regardless of genre, country etc... gives the rights of the music to the label right? Only way to not give rights to a label is to basically release everything independently, and I mean, independently. haha. (Speaking from the perspective of someone who plays in bands and has had/does currently have projects signed to labels... lol) In certain circles you do get some "labels" who are basically small groups of dudes, if more than one person at all, who just release stuff because they love it and they wont have you sign contracts or be bothered about taking musicians rights and whatnot, but this isn't MASSIVELY common.

Edited by Kabukichoatmidnight

烈 : DIMLIMとして、日本だけではなく世界に目を向けて音楽をしていきたいなというのが強いので、そういう挑戦はしていきたいですね。
     : いろんな場所で音楽をやりたいなと思います。

Sounds here like retsu wants to tour overseas.

Retsu is really adamant the album is coming, says lives will go on with the 3 of them (reading between the lines guess he's not looking for more members anytime soon). Katsuya says there are reasons to worry but since its dimlim he's not worried. Retsu confirms this.

烈 : 俺のところは変わりすぎだから。

克哉 : 君のバンドはね(笑)。

烈 : 外タレ並みに入れ替わり激しいからね、まあもうありえないけどね(笑)。

This line from retsu is weird too. They're talking about how things have changed since they met.
Retsu: My bands changed too much.

Katsuya: Jeez your band (lol).

Retsu: It's been crazy, as if we've been switching in talent from overseas. Well it's impossible now (lol).

Can anyone confirm I have this right? I don't know what he's trying to imply with this. Maybe that the 3 remaining members are really committed so they won't break up. Or maybe (something bad)?

I believe he either said that a "foreigner joining the band would be pretty hard/unlikely, but not impossible"

or

That considering they were referencing themselves as the "foreigners" going somewhere else would be hard but not impossible. <-- this one makes more sense IMO

The whole representation of DIMLIM seems so confusing at the Moment. lol

But they wouldn't have bothered to build a whole new website if they've had plans to disband in a few weeks.

I'm 100% sure that we will get this album and it will bang!

After the pitiful, cringe-worthy performance I saw last Friday I wouldn’t hold my breath for the album.

Here’s some tea: some gya commented on twitter how disastrous the whole thing was and Retsu blocked her from his account and the official account. Then proceeded to whine on Instagram. The other guys looked so done. I’m willing to bet they either want out or a different path but can’t say no to Retsu. 

Btw, it was SO bad I couldn’t even stay for the whole performance. The only other band that made me nope the fuck out in the middle of a song was Yumeleep.

A bunch of westerners with me also walked out of it and thought it was painful to look at.

I see more agaru in this band’s questionable future. They won’t make it past the album, that is, if it’s ever released.

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

Here’s some tea: some gya commented on twitter how disastrous the whole thing was and Retsu blocked her from his account and the official account. Then proceeded to whine on Instagram. The other guys looked so done. I’m willing to bet they either want out or a different path but can’t say no to Retsu. 

Btw, it was SO bad I couldn’t even stay for the whole performance. The only other band that made me nope the fuck out in the middle of a song was Yumeleep.

A bunch of westerners with me also walked out of it and thought it was painful to look at.

I see more agaru in this band’s questionable future. They won’t make it past the album, that is, if it’s ever released.

he comes off douchier than before with every dimlim update I see around & let's just say for someone so openly hyping his bands Essence over its visuals he doesn't seem to provide either

(not that I ever bought into his ~deep more deep~ excuses for cutting on costume/styling costs.)

it's like literally every single band mh was still hype about at the start of the year has managed to either fall off the wagon or turn into a huge mess except for gulu gulu 

Meh, Rijin is one of my favorite releases this year so i was really looking forward to this album. No idea when they started recording tracks for the album but hopefully they finished some of them before drama went crazy and album will be kickass.

I dont think them being sloppy live is any indicator of what a recorded release will be like lmao it could just be without a bassist and backup guitarist they're really off right now during lives but I mean lmao for recordings Retsu was already responsible for everything besides lyrics so what's going to change. I remember people on here that thought Kidoairaku was a sign of the end times cause of how bad it sounded at first and then it turned out to be like a 1kbps rip that we were all listening to lol

Yeah, but if a band doesn’t get any live attendance

a) Who are they even recording for. 

b) Livehouses may not want to work with them since they fail to bring people. 

idk ive been hearing dimlim has been having attendance problems for well over a year now (and that hasnt really changed the pace they release stuff) but from what i heard they manage to pack their one man at o-west pretty well. i think it was @Duwang who goes to most if not all their shows so they'd probably the best knowledge of what their crowd sizes have looked like from month to month.

Damn they really shouldn't have promised an album in this situation, all I can see happening is the album constantly being delayed. I feel like Retsu sees the band more as a business.

8 hours ago, libertine said:

I think the main problem is that they don't seem to have the same kind of support from bigger labels as bands like Kizu and gulu gulu have. Why that is, I've no idea. Maybe they're just set on being independent. Maybe they tried and got turned down too many times. Or maybe they do have it and I just don't know about it. Regardless, now they're struggling with 2/3 of a band, stagnant growth and no concrete vision for the future. It's going to be rough going forward. I hope they pull through though.

This is the first thing that comes to my mind every time I read complains about Dimlim.

I fear that DIMLIM is not long for this world. 

Retsu is a great songwriter, but clearly a shitty businessman. I’m willing to bet that the band’s troubles rest squarely on him making poor decisions. Anyone that will bitch at fans on Instagram for finding alternate means of hearing music that was sold at one show in Japan – and NOWHERE ELSE – obviously doesn’t have their head on straight. 

Also, for a band that records such densely layered music to continue on playing live without a second guitarist and bass player is asinine. Retsu is clearly in too deep, and Sho and Hiroshi are probably ready to GTFO. The live shows matter; that’s what brings people in. Record sales don’t mean shit anymore, so even if DIMLIM manages to squeak out a new album, it won’t matter if they promote it with pathetic live performances. 

I wonder if Retsu is the type that doesn’t want any outsiders handling the music, and he just wants to do it all himself to keep his integrity or whatever. If that’s the case he needs to get over himself and find some management. 

the other guys probably saw this coming and that’s why they bounced.