Kyo_Toriko

DIMLIM

Dimlim has generated some buzz from a selection of western React Youtubers reviewing their singles. So it wouldn’t be unheard of to try and get a showcase or two either in Europe or the US. 

It would be great if Japanese bands actually did multi-band tours to sweeten the deal for casuals on the fence. This whole business of one-man tours with only a 70 minute set list is only for die-hards, and people who just happen to be in the same city with nothing better to do.

But realistically, most Asia-obsessed people have moved on to K-pop, and the marginal base of casuals who would attend a multi-band event (but not a one-man) is probably not enough to justify the travel costs of additional bands. It could have worked in 2007-2009, but the hype fizzled out when bands couldn’t tour as far and wide as the fanbase wanted.

12 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Considering accomodation, work visas, custom fees for the gear, etc, I'm willing to bet 7-10K AT LEAST.

Exactly. And when promoters are looking to at least breakeven or even make a profit from the gigs they put on, that's a pretty hefty amount to blow, especially considering DIMLIM aren't huge overseas and probably wont attract anywhere near enough people to get close to breaking even. Bands like Dir and the Gazette, yes, as they sell out alot of their shows in Europe at reasonably large venues, but sorry to say, I don't think overseas DIMLIM would sell out a venue of around 100-200 people capacity (a decent sized pub gig, haha), so doesn't seem realistic. But if someone wants to take the gamble then all power to them and wish them success. :)

4 hours ago, platy said:

I tried listening to vanitas - white- and just burst out laughing in public. Some parts were really nice, but this is weird. I'm scrapping my fantasy of having Sho whisper in my ear. 

For some inexplicable reason I listened to it three times in a row and I was both confused and fascinated by the whole experience :'D

On 8/30/2019 at 12:43 PM, Joel said:

I really thought Vanitas -White- and Aizounitsuki -Black- were gonna be fully fleshed out acoustic remakes, that was kind of a bummer.

Same, hearing the actual tracks gave me indigestion.

I went to the O-west live and was one of the persons who offered shopping service. I'll also go to their next oneman on 9/20. I see them live regularly, so you could ask me next time?

I'm not even gonna do the live-limited discussions anymore... getting tiring lol

4 minutes ago, Saishu said:

How long before Sho wrecks his voice doing those fucking inhales?

Hes probably months away from ruining his voice if he keeps doing it consistently, he sounds pretty rough from what I've heard. This man needs a vocal coach, I don't want him to lose those beautiful sounds of pigs dying.

Just as a side note, I love the fact that crossover bands like dimlim and deviloof can play metal shows and have videos taken of their performances, and no one gives a shit. 

Call it a “VK show” and replace most of the dudes with girls/women, and suddenly it’s “so disrespectful” to take photos/videos.

Listened to their discography today. Why are people saying he's Kyo's clone? I'm aware he said Kyo is someone he looks up to or whatever, but...

He doesn't sound like him at all. If anything, he sounds more like a bad copy. Pig squeals aren't everything. Also, +1 on him destroying his voice.

After listening to Ki Do Ai Raku I must say I think it's a solid release from them! I hope I can get my own copy one day, maybe if I see it being sold I'll splash out on a copy. 

I loved the fusion of different musical elements that they used, from the tracks that used electronic aspects to the one that had a calmer, less metal feel to it (sorry I can't reference song titles here) I loved all of it! And Sho's vocals are incredible on this, I do hope that he can keep his voice in good condition and that he is taking care of it!

As for Vanitas white and Aizounitsuki black... Well, part of me thought it was okay, it's sort of like them poetry reading things some artists do, but at the same time hearing Sho lowkey having what sounded like a breakdown of some sort in my ear was a bit weird. But yeah, great release nevertheless!

12 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Listened to their discography today. Why are people saying he's Kyo's clone?

if you listened through their entire discog, specifically the tragic acapellas, you'll probably hear it by now?..

creatively they're p much an exact d.i.d. replica, they've just happened to emerge during a relative indie scene downtime.

I avoided those two disc 2 songs you guys mentioned. I just played them for like five seconds each... ugh.

I mean, I get the appeal, but... why? It seems so forced ><

On the other hand, I really like their THE SILENT SONG(?) single.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:30 AM, Joel said:

Hes probably months away from ruining his voice if he keeps doing it consistently, he sounds pretty rough from what I've heard. This man needs a vocal coach, I don't want him to lose those beautiful sounds of pigs dying.

Yeah, when I saw them last year he was really struggling with those high screeches but otherwise good performance so no real compaints from me. But tbh, I wouldn't expect someone to be able to pull those off flawlessly every time. lol. But from what I can tell from their latest releases that Sho is stepping away a bit from all the grunting and screeching and focusing a lot more on actual singing so maybe he's already aware he's fucking his voice up so is trying to calm it down a bit. 

+ On the topic of him being a Kyo clone, I don't really agree that he's a clone at all. Only thing that's really similar is he goes for the same kind of range, mixing up the gutturals, screams and clean singing, but that could be said for a lot of V Kei vocalists surely? Doesn't make them a clone of Kyo for using different vocal styles, I welcome it in fact, a vocalist who doesn't have any variation can be pretty monotonous and tiresome to listen to.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, Seelentau said:

Listened to their discography today. Why are people saying he's Kyo's clone? I'm aware he said Kyo is someone he looks up to or whatever, but...

He doesn't sound like him at all. If anything, he sounds more like a bad copy. Pig squeals aren't everything. Also, +1 on him destroying his voice.

After some more listening, they remind me of bands like iwrestledabearonce or One Morning Left, sometimes.

Also, what I noticed as well is that the vocalist often growls the English lyrics. To avoid proper pronounciation, I assume^^

12 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Also, what I noticed as well is that the vocalist often growls the English lyrics. To avoid proper pronounciation, I assume^^

I'm not sure if I've got your tone right and you're judging, but this line is giving me a major cosmic brain moment coming from a stan of a band that released clever sleazoid tbh

37 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

I'm not sure if I've got your tone right and you're judging, but this line is giving me a major cosmic brain moment coming from a stan of a band that released clever sleazoid tbh

No worries, I don't exactly like Kyo's Engrish either :D

But DIMLIM's vocalist is on a whole 'nother level. I noticed he also does that with Japanese lyrics, in 塵外 for example.

So maybe it's not a cop-out, who knows.

After listening everything they've done consistently, I do feel his Kyo-isms are most prevalent in CHEDOARA rather than their singles - he vocally sounds much different to me across those releases. 

Regarding the inhales, I'm still not fully convinced that's all he's doing. A lot of the more recent live videos + when I saw them in May have me thinking he's exhaling some of those screams now - a lot more power behind it.

23 minutes ago, Saishu said:

If anything I feel like Sho uses growls when it fits the lyrics. Kyo, on the other hand, often seems like he just randomly makes noises. 

thissssss, its especially evident in the vanitas songs but im sure it applies to most other songs post issei era