CAT5

Recommended Tracks: September 2017!

Which tracks did you enjoy this month?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which tracks did you enjoy this month?

• "Lunar Regret" by BLESS THIS MESS
    • "Shoujou (shi)" by SCAPEGOAT
    • "Utopia" by Behind the Shadow Drops
    • "puzzle" by Arlequin
    • "Glass no soko wa, yoru" by JYOCHO
    • "Phoenix" by SEVER BLACK PARANOIA
    • "Mademoiselle" by KAMIJO
    • "Sadistic Emotion (D'Erlanger cover)" by Kiyoharu

tumblr_ox635b8jpp1rfey86o1_1280.png

Greetings, MH! Another month, another batch of recommended tracks from the amazing ORZ team! 

Check them out and let us know what you think!  :lleft:

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@The Reverend's Pick

"Lunar Regret" by BLESS THIS MESS

GJ7S8Vw.png

At first blush "Lunar Regret" is just another VK song in a long history of mediocre tracks released by nobody visual kei bands. It's got all the hallmarks: the band playing in a nondescript basement, frilly black jackets, piano in the intro that isn't quite necessary, a drummer consigned to the shadows because he's not actually in the band, random stock footage of things that set a mood but don't really say anything.

But then you start to notice the things that make this track a winner: a band with the patience and maturity to let the song breath and introduce elements gradually, the vocalist's unique timbre that makes you think you could actually identify him without the band's name on the screen, the chorus being catchy as hell, the guitarist Kevin Shields-ing a smart guitar solo that doesn't just ape the vocal melody, and the band interacting in natural ways in the video! (Don't get me started on this tangent... why do so many VK bands seem to only acknowledge they're sharing a stage with other people during the prescribed 'this-is-our-fanservice-minute' portion of a show?? I blame Dir en grey)

I'm rooting for BLESS THIS MESS to have success and find a wider audience with the backing of their new label home Starwave. This video may have been released slightly too early to be a teaser for an album that doesn't drop until December, but if this is a taste of what's to come I'm excited for their future. Fingers crossed Yanagi stays healthy!!

Spoiler

@emmny's Pick

"症状4" by SCAPEGOAT

"Shoujou (shi)" by SCAPEGOAT

j6JhXKM.png

Back at it again, our consistency legends SCAPEGOAT are continuing to snatch the wigs firmly off our heads. They've been on a murderous streak for the past three years (*wink*), combining mid-era DIR EN GREY heaviness with Royz-core melodicism. The basis of their sound isn't new, but the band's execution is god-tier, resulting in some of the strongest songs to come out of the scene in the past few years. I had written them off for a while simply because they weren't a superlative band--they weren't 'br00tal', highly technical, virtuosic, challenging, über melodic or with shocking presence. They're a middle of the road band--but they're far from average. "Shoujou shi" is a perfect example of their trademark compositions. Haru's raspy vocals ratchet up the tension, but it never culminates in a screaming match--rather gang shouted, exclaiming 'despair" among his yells. Guitar and bass are simple, laying a firm rhythm while the band's trademark circus-y synth/guitar occupy the lead space. The structure follows like clockwork, from fist bumping riffs, blastbeats and key change to a dazzling chorus; rinse, repeat and topped off with a beautiful vocal solo toward the end. A track this good off another of SCAPE's concept mini-albums has me literally counting down for October when it drops...let's see what other medication the band have prescribed for us.

Spoiler

@plastic_rainbow's Pick

"Utopia" by Behind the Shadow Drops

MtuNwfH.png

If you haven't heard yet, Takaakira 'Taka' Goto, the guitarist and composer of post-rock band MONO, released an album titled H a r m o n i c under a new solo project called Behind the Shadow Drops. Being less rock and metal oriented, the album breathes out an ambient and neoclassical soundscape full of melancholy with a tiny glimmer of hope, portraying much of the orchestral side of MONO. There were many remarkable tracks from the album; it was hard to pick just one track to recommend, but of the many standouts, "Utopia" presents a refreshing taste to MONO listeners. Contrary to its title, the track sounds nothing like bliss, rather expressing a desolate and haunting view of the world. The intro leads a trip-hop beat with a blaring noise in the background as an eerie drone seeps in. The guitars lament in a melody and the strings sway in a sad prayer. "Utopia" feels like you're losing your mind slowly when everything has become blurry and deafening, yet it is somehow quite soothing at the same time due to its subtlety. I'm very pleased with this new solo project of Taka and wonder if he will have anything else planned in the near future.

Spoiler

@tetsu_sama69's Pick

"puzzle" by アルルカン

"puzzle" by Arlequin

68sTunW.png

Overall, 2017 has been an extremely solid year for Arlequin and they seem to have no intention of slowing down or releasing anything but pure bangers. Not a trace of overwhelming bloops to be found or predictable br00tal breakdowns. "puzzle" is a sweet refined candy that you can't help but hit the replay button to get another wonderful taste. It's hard to pick out a favorite part of "puzzle" since the composition is so damn top notch and the vocals take the perfection up another level. I'm a major fan of when both guitarists play an amazing solo together, especially since Kuruto and Nao have no issues keeping up with each other to make it shine brilliantly. If you haven't already been charmed by Arlequin, then I highly recommend anything they've released this year since none of it has fallen short.

Spoiler

@doombox's Pick's

"グラスの底は、夜" by JYOCHO

"Glass no soko wa, yoru" by JYOCHO

Ut31vu7.png

Math rock isn't normally my gig, but every once in a blue moon a song gets a hold on me. "グラスの底は、夜 (Glass no soko wa, yoru)" happened to do it this month and I got sucked into the emotional ebb and flow of the track. There's a wonderful musical contrast JYOCHO has that takes their math-y, complex time signatures and put them across in a very restrained, almost minimal fashion. I can really dig their gentler approach. Maybe JYOCHO will finally be my foot in the door to dive into this genre properly, what about you?

Spoiler

"Phoenix" by SEVER BLACK PARANOIA

LhmVehs.png

The boys are back with a new release and a new label, recently making the switch to Epictive Records. As one of the bands still carrying the electronicore torch they maintain a blend of metal with it that's become rare after most bands in the scene chased the popularity of more dance-able EDM or have disbanded over the years. "Phoenix" is a great showcase of all the elements that make this band great and only getting  better. It's a good place to start if you've never heard of SEVER BLACK PARANOIA before, or something to hype you up even if you have.

Spoiler

Guest Submissions:

@Ada Suilen's Picks

"Mademoiselle" by KAMIJO

cQWLBa1.png 

After the glorious return of his historical band Versailles, Yuuji Kamijou turns back to his solo project, where he continues to be majestic, starting from the sublime "Castrato" (where he shows a great improvement in his English). In this new track, after having tricked us with a goth industrial look, the Prince kicks out a ballad which goes back in time, recalling the nostalgic work of Lareine's best tunes and a bit of personal fascination, in a tender melody and sweet vocals, showing that Kamijo hasn't lost his 'tendresse'.

Spoiler

"Sadistic Emotion (D'Erlanger cover)" by Kiyoharu

pa8QOtz.png

With a thrilling line-up worth of guys like Hyde, Kiyoharu, Dir en Grey, Acid Android, Mucc and Merry among others, the D'Erlanger tribute album is a real attraction for true J-rock adepts, especially for the lineage that band has for the scene itself. All the interpretations were made different from each other, but Kiyoharu made something which no one expected: he Kuroyume-ized the famous hit "Sadistic Emotion," driving it with deep vocals and an engaging rhythm, with a sumptuous touch of nostalgia. In general, "Stairway to Heaven" is only for true J-rock lovers, so listen to it as soon as possible!

Spoiler

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! If you have any thoughts on the list, or if you have any recommendations of your own, we look forward to seeing your comments below!

I like the new album from Behind the Shadow Drops. Time will tell whether it really captures a unique enough mood that I will come back to it instead of just... listening to some Mono.

Not usually a fan... but I'm enjoying that Kamijo song! Shades of MM for sure.

damn, people are voting for bless this mess like crazy and i can see why! they remind of them good vk from the 00s. good stuff! i will definitely check them out! ^^

scapegoat killing it again. i love those guitar riffs~

i cant believe september was apparently so dire that y'all had to put a kiyoharu cover song in the "recommended tracks" list

also, based on their horrible name i always kind of thought bless this mess was supposed to be one of those one ok rock-esque bands but they're actually... good??? damn................ Behind the Shadow Drops also seems nice (based on the provided track at least.. does the rest hold up?)

Edited by Tokage

7 hours ago, Tokage said:

also, based on their horrible name i always kind of thought bless this mess was supposed to be one of those one ok rock-esque bands but they're actually... good??? damn................ Behind the Shadow Drops also seems nice (based on the provided track at least.. does the rest hold up?)

lmao i thought the same too and had no idea they were actually vk until now

the whole behind the shadow drops album was really good imo! i think you'll enjoy it~