madygrain

VK-Bands that you think STILL HAVE their "spark" & new bands you're keeping an eye on in 2017

So, reversed topic from a recent post in this subforum, since it seems the "VK is not doing it for me lately" theme seems to be a bit tired.

Bands I still think they are doing as good of a job as before

1.Penicillin: they did not get another hit as Romance but they never got to be a one hit wonder because of their pretty high consistency and quality imo. This can also apply to most Hakuei stuff I heard actually.

2.Dead End/Creature Creature/Morrie: same as Penicillin,  actually.

3. Metronome: they could have gone to shit since the stuff they did while on the hiauts wasn't as good... but I think both post-hiauts regular releases are as strong as their old stuff.

4.Versailles: Jupiter and Kamijo going each way could have really hurt this but last release was mostly in line with their release history.

5.Mucc: unpopular stance, I know.

Bands that are new-ish I'm looking forward to:

1.Kizu

2.Yumeleep

3.Zonbi (they're not as new as others, but admitedly I discoevered them this year...)

4.Sioux

5.Tensai

I just wrote a status complaining about 2017 VK before I saw your post, lol

Checking the 2017 Music Ratings thread is pretty telling. very few people with VK releases on the top of their list. I haven't listened one release that blew my mind yet, and most of what I consider really good this year has been compilations/best of, so...

But all is not lost, I still believe Develop One's Faculties is the best thing that happened to VK in the decade, ACME and ORCALADE both are great newcomers, MORRIGAN usually does not disappoint, FAR EAST DIZAIN can be good, ZERO MIND INFINITY is a real promise... there's still hope

Edited by chemicalpictures

metronome - the comeback single was great (fabulous B-sides too), the new album grew on me a lot after a few extra listens, and I saw them live this year and they were just as fun as I thought they'd be

Psycho le Cemu - not every post-reunion release has been a winner (I'm still not sure what Mirai Shounen x Mirai Shoujo was supposed to be...), but the distinctive vibe of their looks and music is most definitely back, and it doesn't feel stagnant - it still seems like they are trying hard to push themselves.

Also GLAY, if we're counting them as VK. They've definitely had rough patches here and there, and I still haven't gotten around to their most recent material, but the old GLAY magic was definitely back on G4 IV. Supernova Express 2016 had the big pop sound, Scoop was vintage sexy GLAY, and Kanojo wa Zombie was refreshingly different for them. Their singles can be hit or miss, but there are definitely enough hits to make up for the misses. I still remember seeing a tweet Sugizo posted after he went to one of their concerts where he was like "even after all these years, GLAY are still overflowing with youth" or something, and they really seem to be (at least mentally, anyway). I also still adore the fact that they always try to pull out lots of random album tracks and B-sides to keep their live releases fresh. I mean, they played "HIT THE WORLD CHART!" last year?!

I'm keeping an eye on Kizu as well, because I liked every track on Oshimai and Lime is basically everything I want in a frontman, but with only one single to go on it's hard to predict what they're going to turn into.

Edited by violetchain

I'm keeping my eye on Canival, Zonbi (although they're not necessarily new), and 游彩 regarding newcomers / newer bands. I've also been impressed with how well Crucifixion, Schwarzkein, and La'Veil MizeriA seem to be doing. Again, those three aren't really ~new~, but they seem to be doing much better this year.

Lately I've mainly been keeping an eye on Marco (not exactly new, but everyone thinks they are), Yumeleep, and Sui's solo project David. I've also been looking forward to La'veil Mizeria since they signed to Starwave. 

Marco - they formed in 2014, and at first they didn't really impress me, but after Torikago Aijin, I fell in love *_* but recently 2 of their guys left, and right at their prime too...I'm really curious, yet I also can't help but worry, as to what they can do with just 3 members.

Yumeleep - Melvel was fucking horrible, but Yumeleep is proof that it's sometimes better to go to the dark side. They have that cutesy, but dark and eerie flair about them and I like it. It's very unique~ 

David - He's only put out one song so far, and it sounds great, but I'm really looking forward to Requiemage too. It pisses me off that I had to wait this long for an actual release from Sui this year, but hey, it's better than nothing. I just hope it doesn't suck like Lin did.

I still think Angelo has their spark (at least to me) because I've literally found their most recent releases pretty enjoyable.  HETERODOX seems like it's going to slay my soul. Anfiel's latest release saved me from their 2nd album which kinda killed it for me for awhile, but I still think they have their spark, that album just wasn't my cup of tea. Develop One's Faculties is still bangin' over 3 years later. GRIMOIRE also keeps getting better and better tbh. I don't think Kra will ever lose their spark, but it just sucks that they rarely release at anything. Purple Stone and SHIVA can't make a bad song, so I think they both still have their sparks. vistlip is still going strong too!

Bands I'm keeping an eye on:

アクメ (ACME)

甘い暴力 (amai bouryoku)

DEVIZE

dexcore

GAMEOVER

Initial'L

LAVANS

LOVE LOCK

ルクス (Lux)

masaya

RAZOR

REVIVE

Sioux

-真天地開闢集団-ジグザグ (zigzag)

Edited by Mihi

The band still has their spark , hmm ... For me , there is only one band I will choose , DIR EN GREY .

Although Kyo already has lost his ability to do some performances like the past , but for me , Kyo is always my KAMI , and the whole band is still fucking amazing !

And the new band this year I keep an eye on is ... DIMLIM , Sho's voice is just like the drug for me , I really love Sho's vocal , and same as a DEG fan too xDD , of course other members are very cool too , I mean they all have their own "personalities" ! Especially Tsubasa , he is really cute , and Issei, love him since he was in D.I.D. ! 

BTW , I seem to focus on vocal side too much ...lol

Edited by Kyo_Toriko

On 2017/9/27 at 10:20 PM, nekkichi said:

oh, right, D.I.D.

I already forgot inside of me demos happeneds

I guess I stan a lil bit

same with, like idk, yumeleep, zicross, and dexcore

Yup, but unfortunately the demo CDs are live-dist. , though I still think they have spark to me too. But they just left the scene , went to hiatus.

So I didn't take it into my answer.

I like yumeleep, and dexcore too , they both sounds well to me , but ... I dont know , the only band I really really focus on is only DIMLIM .

Edited by Kyo_Toriko

On 2017/9/26 at 3:59 AM, violetchain said:

metronome - the comeback single was great (fabulous B-sides too), the new album grew on me a lot after a few extra listens, and I saw them live this year and they were just as fun as I thought they'd be

Psycho le Cemu - not every post-reunion release has been a winner (I'm still not sure what Mirai Shounen x Mirai Shoujo was supposed to be...), but the distinctive vibe of their looks and music is most definitely back, and it doesn't feel stagnant - it still seems like they are trying hard to push themselves.

I agree with Metronome! Dare I say their newer stuff has rivaled or even outdone some of their older stuff. Still wish I'd been able to see them with PLC.

As for PLC, I agree they've had a few not-so-great songs post-reunion (but they've always had random filler-ish stuff in their past albums so I guess that's par for the course), but what's wrong with "Mirai Shounen x Mirai Shoujo"? The lyrics are cute and the MV is about a queer/trans couple where the trans girl (played by trans personality Haruna Ai) finally gets her sex change operation at the end. It makes light of the "hospital/major illness" drama trope, is cute, and overall pretty progressive for not only starring but showing trans people in a positive light.

Other VK bands I don't think have lost their "spark":

- D'ERLANGER - Their last album was great and they rocked live. Looking forward to whatever they come out with next.

- BUCK-TICK- Some people might disagree, but I've enjoyed them expanding into different genres over the years. While I don't always enjoy their new music as much as their older music, I've never hated an album they've put out.

- LUNA SEA - They've given some great performances, even rivaling some of their older ones, since they got back together and I feel like "Will" was one of the better post-reunion albums by a VK band to straddle the hard line of old sound vs. new.

- sukekiyo - I see so much potential in this. I don't think they've had a bad release yet.

- lynch. - Every time I see them live they're been better than before. My live impression of them over the years has gone from "every song sounds the same" to " I would actually consider buying a CD of theirs/keeping up with them more". I think musically/technically they have room for improvement but I see them sticking around and only getting better.

- Considering how I never really was a Nightmare fan, I'm surprised at how much I've been liking Jakigan Meister and Gremlins.

- Visually Zombi/Zombie doesn't do much for me, but I've enjoyed a lot of their releases so far, and think they have potential.

1 hour ago, jaymee said:

As for PLC, I agree they've had a few not-so-great songs post-reunion (but they've always had random filler-ish stuff in their past albums so I guess that's par for the course), but what's wrong with "Mirai Shounen x Mirai Shoujo"? The lyrics are cute and the MV is about a queer/trans couple where the trans girl (played by trans personality Haruna Ai) finally gets her sex change operation at the end. It makes light of the "hospital/major illness" drama trope, is cute, and overall pretty progressive for not only starring but showing trans people in a positive light.

True, PLC have always had a certain percentage of filler on their releases, so I guess they've been fairly consistent in that area. 

Oh no, the video for "Mirai Shounen x Mirai Shoujo" is quite cute, I just hate the song. Something about it doesn't feel right to me, and I have trouble even listening to the whole thing. 

Bands I keep an eye on/follow:

LUNA SEA

DIR EN GREY
glamscure

Insanity Injection

La'veil Mizeria

ラヴェーゼ

Gossip

黒百合と影

DIAURA

グリーヴァ (although they're disbanding by new year)

ぞんび

Crucifixion

アマンジャク。

Gibkiy Gibkiy Gibkiy

sukekiyo

That's what I can think of from the top of my head, I'm probably missing some bands. 

Edited by Takadanobabaalien

BUCK-TICK is the only band I've enjoyed their entire career's discography. Sometimes what they release as of late doesn't appeal to me right away, but I usually go back to it later and like it a lot. They still goin', goin'.

I was really pleasantly surprised with Plastic Tree's last single. I wouldn't say they ever lost their spark, because honestly I really don't like some of their earlier work or some of their most popular songs.. aha. But I love them as a whole. 

JILUKA has done very well to maintain my interest this year, as well as Matenrou Opera since their switch to heavy metal.

Kamijo's experiments have not gone unnoticed either, as Mademoiselle is very reminiscent of the days of Malice Mizer.

I am curious to see what FUKI's Unlucky Morpheus has in store, if any, towards the end of this year/beginning of 2018.

Their EP Black Pentagram was just too perfect, as I feel that the project they are working on this time is the best representation of the band thus far.

I still enjoy most of the stuff DIR EN GREY, Plastic Tree and MUCC release. Also, projects that involve aie and/or Ryo usually sound great if that counts, the two of them have been around forever but can't ever settle for one project I guess :D

For more recent stuff, I think these bands are worth keeping an eye on:

DIMLIM 

The Gallo

sukekiyo

Kizu

Sioux

RAZOR

HOLLOWGRAM

DADAROMA (still think they have good songs once in a while)

Xaa-Xaa

DEZERT

Overall, I honestly don't really feel a huge decline in VK as a whole, seems like business as usual to me with enough interesting bands to follow. Just wish some bands would release more full albums, Gallo and Xaa-Xaa have done a good job in that regards.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

In terms of bands I think still have their spark, I have to say ダウト. They had such a bad couple of years at PSC, once they left it's  been nothing but great releases. 

Sukekiyo has never disappointed me, although they haven't been around for *that* long. Even the mention of a new release has my mouth watering. 

I properly discovered Arlequin this year and I'm hooked. They have a solid style where I could point out any of their songs in a crowd and some people have got sick of it or see it as repetitive, but personally i don't think they're disappointing on any areas. 

Zonbi and GRIMOIRE are my two newcomer favorites. Zonbi's album released earlier this year was fantastic, I still have it on repeat. I hope they have a long life ahead of them. 

Yumeleep is a weird one. Musicaly they're very promising, but I can't deal with the singer. I low-key follow them hoping he'll  drop out but in the mean time I'm trying to get used to it. I think their concept is pretty interesting too, so I'll keep following them. 

ORCALADE's only release was promising as fuck. Just gotta wait for whenever their next one comes out. 

On 2017/9/29 at 9:13 PM, violetchain said:

True, PLC have always had a certain percentage of filler on their releases, so I guess they've been fairly consistent in that area. 

Oh no, the video for "Mirai Shounen x Mirai Shoujo" is quite cute, I just hate the song. Something about it doesn't feel right to me, and I have trouble even listening to the whole thing. 

Ah, I see! To be fair, despite buying their new releases, I don't listen to much of PLC's newer stuff outside of lives/DVDs. As much as I love them, I really feel like they're one of those bands that needs to be experienced to "get", lol. (Which is sadly one of the major things holding them back in the current VK scene. They have a lot of haters at taibans that are "surprised" to find out that they're a really good band.)

On 10/2/2017 at 3:48 PM, platy said:

In terms of bands I think still have their spark, I have to say ダウト. They had such a bad couple of years at PSC, once they left it's  been nothing but great releases. 

Sukekiyo has never disappointed me, although they haven't been around for *that* long. Even the mention of a new release has my mouth watering. 

I properly discovered Arlequin this year and I'm hooked. They have a solid style where I could point out any of their songs in a crowd and some people have got sick of it or see it as repetitive, but personally i don't think they're disappointing on any areas. 

Zonbi and GRIMOIRE are my two newcomer favorites. Zonbi's album released earlier this year was fantastic, I still have it on repeat. I hope they have a long life ahead of them. 

Yumeleep is a weird one. Musicaly they're very promising, but I can't deal with the singer. I low-key follow them hoping he'll  drop out but in the mean time I'm trying to get used to it. I think their concept is pretty interesting too, so I'll keep following them. 

ORCALADE's only release was promising as fuck. Just gotta wait for whenever their next one comes out. 

Hey! Thanks for your post, I  found it verrrrrry useful! I really like yumeleep now, if you know other recent bands with "weird" vocalists like him, I would be very happy :) Zombi I also found quite good! Definitely very promising music. And ORCALADE.... I didnt know about them before and it turns out the ex-singer of MaVerick and Eat-You-Alive is singing for them, which is so awesome ! I used to really like his bands and I still love his voice. So thanks a lot for your recommendation ❤️ 

Edited by DerKnecht