Sign in to follow this  
togz

Help

Welcome to the general HELP thread. 

If you have a question about conjugating verbs, which particle to use, vocabulary, which kanji to use, or just have something you can't quite understand, post it here. Chances are it's an opportunity for everyone to learn something new here by trying to help as well. With that, I do highly encourage everyone to check here and try to help anyone who has questions when you can, that's what will make this group function is relying on each other. 

Edited by togz

Okay. I need help understanding when to use 行き vs に来ている

I've been told in the event of a concert that Iki is not the correct verb to use. It's not wrong but it's odd. Often times my friend from japan will use nikiteiru.... but maybe the context is different. Help?

On 9/23/2017 at 9:16 PM, togz said:

Okay. I need help understanding when to use 行き vs に来ている

I've been told in the event of a concert that Iki is not the correct verb to use. It's not wrong but it's odd. Often times my friend from japan will use nikiteiru.... but maybe the context is different. Help?

Edit: This got clarified by much more adept speakers than me. :3

Edited by doombox

sorry @togzi hope i didn't confuse you with my correction from the other thread .__.

i might need more context with what you're trying to say. the usage can also differ depending on how you phrase it.

i think for に来ている you use it when the 'subject' is coming/visiting/is here. an example would be "BANDはPLACEに来ている" (BAND is coming to/is at PLACE). Or it can be shortened as "PLACEに来ている" ([they are] coming to/visiting/at PLACE). using the later example you can also say "ライブに来ている" ([they are/someone is] coming to/at this live), which might have been what you're friends were referring to?

it's also important to note that the particle に designates a place or target of action. so in this case whatever comes before に来ている will always be a place/event. if you replace the particle with が though, the preceding noun will be a person. for example, Aさんが来てる (A is coming/here).

can you tell me the phrase you used for 行き?

sorry if my explanation is not very clear but i hope that helps. Dx

So in my experience--which is 5 years of going to concerts here--it is 100% normal to say  行く for going to a concert (or ライブ as it is often referred to--コンサート is usually used for things like orchestras etc).  I hear it, I use it, and I am asked it all the time in relation to lives.

○○に行く ⇒ I am going to (whatever concert, whatever band)

○○に行くつもりです or ○○行く予定です⇒ I intend on going to~ or I plan on going to~ 

are completely fine. 

Another point is in English we say "I am going to~" as future tense. You cannot use ~ている form as future tense.  It is a current state of being. If you say (concert)に来ている! you are saying that you are coming to the concert right now (it's not quite the right word choice in that situation either, but that's another topic).  It would be the same for a band coming to a place--you wouldn't say ~に来ている unless they are on their way right now, instead it would be ~に来る

However, imagine you just told your friend you are going to a live. After you have revealed that, imagine that you now want to know if they are going too. In that situation, you are more likely to ask 来る? or to tell them something like 来てね!/来てほしい right.  If you are undecided about whether or not you are going to the concert you would ask them 行く? 

An important note, when someone is going to a concert, whether you are there are not, and you want to tell them to enjoy it you would NOT say 楽しんでいって instead you would tell them 楽しんできて  

I hope that's helpful

行く is for movement away from your location while 来る is for movement to your location. If you were already there you can say "...ライブに来た". 行く already explains the action of "going" thus "ている" form isn't necessary. Hope that helped somewhat.

Edited by akippon
Typo

Sign in to follow this