jaymee

Bangya Hacks! (Advice for Attending VK Lives)

On 18/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, jaymee said:

I'm not that knowledgeable about pinning posts etc. on this board but is there a way to make the most relevant replies show first?

Or maybe I should update the first post with subsequent info as an ongoing mega-post?

Posts can't be pinned, nor is there a 'most-relevant reply'  feature unfortunately. I think the easiest thing would be you updating the post as you said :) 

Thanks for a great thread. I haven't been to gigs in Japan for more than 10 years but I think this may still be relevant for many gaijins going to gigs in Japan where there are crowd surfers: If you are taller than most bangyas (anywhere above 160cm I reckon) don't stand too near to the middle or the front, and take out big ear jewelleries like industrial bars. Being 170cm,I got kicked in the back of head a lot and my ears kept getting grabbed :/

5 hours ago, meat said:

Thanks for a great thread. I haven't been to gigs in Japan for more than 10 years but I think this may still be relevant for many gaijins going to gigs in Japan where there are crowd surfers: If you are taller than most bangyas (anywhere above 160cm I reckon) don't stand too near to the middle or the front, and take out big ear jewelleries like industrial bars. Being 170cm,I got kicked in the back of head a lot and my ears kept getting grabbed :/

Can’t vouch for jewelry but as far as height I’d say it depends on the band you’re seeing - most of the acts I saw recently don’t do crowd surfing. It was only Gazette, come to think of it. I’m tall and I’ve been fine standing more or less anywhere.

Usually I’ll apologize to the gya behind me for being so tall in Japanese and make sure they can see alright. (This is in no way required, it’s your spot and you’re entitled to it, it’s just something I personally like doing.) Half the time this opens up the window for them to talk to me since they realize I can. :)

14 hours ago, platy said:

@shellyshallyyou might find this thread useful before you go to your first vk live :)

Thanks so much for the tag!

And thanks to everyone for the thread, it seems to be very useful for first-time concert goers.

A question/answer that I didn't see come up (unless I wasn't looking hard enough); but as someone who hasn't gone to a live yet, what should I wear???

Or what should I NOT wear might be easier to answer lol. Is there a difference in what people wear at a GazettE concert versus like a smaller VK band concert?

I've lived in Japan for a while so I'm already self-conscious about looking too out of place. Well when you're a foreigner I guess you're going to look out of place no matter what but I kind of blend in (at least from the back and sides, anyway) since I'm like 150cm/under 5 feet tall and of Asian descent lol. Around the city center where Harajuku and Shibuya is, the youth dress a LOT differently than they do out in the suburbs and I've never been to a concert before so I have absolutely no idea what to expect when I get to the venue.

Can I just wear whatever I want like jeans, shirt, jacket, shoes, makeup however I want? What if I just got out of work and I'm wearing my office clothes lol. Or are the majority of people there going to have gone all out and dressed up? I'm not interested in "cosplaying" or anything like that, 

Also for bags...is there a limit on the size of bag, and what if your bag has something like huge studs or spikes or pointy ends? Do they even check what's inside your bag to see if you brought drinks like water bottles lol. 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of a wordy person lol but I sincerely appreciate if anyone can help answer some of them ><

I recommend wearing the most comfortable shoes you have, specially for gigs that go on for hours and then there's a lot of jumping and moving around, you'll regret wearing any kind of heel. 

Some bands have dress codes like Sukekiyo, you can only wear black as they want everyone to look like they're going to a funeral or something lol but most bands aren't like that, you'll see a lot of girls dressed up as if they're going on a date (cute outfits and make up, made up hair, cute accessories). You could always carry another outfit with you so you can change from your work uniform, I suggest going with a small bag and placing it in a locker if you can, I think most venues have them.

Don't worry about your look too much, the majority of people just dress nicely with trousers or a skirt, top and minimal make up. I actually didn't see any cosplayers  or crazy harajuku fashion to the gigs I went to in Japan, I think most people just want to be comfortable while looking decent. 

Edit: I don't remember my bag being searched for water or things like that, but then again I either made my bf put everything in his pockets or I placed my stuff in a locker, so I can't help with that question 🤔 

Japanese gyas come to vk gigs all dressed up with giant heels but just before the show is about to start they put on crocs or slip on and they come with a lot of bags.

Nobody is checking what's inside, I came with water bottle inside a plastic bag and the staff didn't notice (and probably don't care)

You'll get a drink ticket when you get to the doors so no need to bring something to drink actually :)

Note that I went only to vk gigs in really small live houses, idk if it's the same in bigger venues

I've always been wearing what I've wanted to and what I felt comfortable with. I don't care about being the only one looking different (I already do because I have turquoise hair and there aren't many people with unusal colors, at least at those lives I went to) and nobody cares about what you're wearing. Already seen girls being dressed as lolita, some in short skirts and blouses and even some that looked like they just came out of their bed still wearing their pyjamas.  Most of them do dress up tho just to get the attention of their favorite bandomen

I also could carry whatever I've wanted into the live houses, nobody checked the bags, no matter how many I was carrying with me. Got into the hall with a bag filled with drinks and food. They might ask you to put drinks and food away (without checking, if you say you don't have any you just can go on lol)  but I've never seen anyone to do so.

As others said it's fine to wear anything you want, but I would add a small exception - don't wear other artist t-shirts or goods. It's not a rule, but fans here definitely don't do that (while it's totally normal thing in the West). Unless you know that those two artists hang out/do events together/etc.

I actually see people wearing business clothes at lives a lot, I'd also been to a live wearing a white shirt few times  when I didn't have time to change (but it's way too hot!).

The only bag checks done in Japan I experienced was at huge venues (arenas), so going to a v-kei live you should be totally fine. You can bring bags in, but it's simply more comfortable to use a locker. If it's a standing live you don't know if suddenly fans won't do some furi having everyone moving.

Most venues allow you to bring a drink in, sometimes they can simply ask if you carry a camera.

just found this and read this

thank you so much especially for Hack #6: Trying to See Better if You’re Short

i am short

but i always want to get in to the front , and want to get attention from my favorite member lol

On 4/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, Yuuya Miyagi said:

i am short

but i always want to get in to the front , and want to get attention from my favorite member lol

If you're short it's to your benefit that you can probably sneak further up front during the harder/dive songs. :) I have a friend who is tiny and I swear she's always at least third row when the harder songs hit no matter where her numbers originally were, lol

1 hour ago, jaymee said:

If you're short it's to your benefit that you can probably sneak further up front during the harder/dive songs. :) I have a friend who is tiny and I swear she's always at least third row when the harder songs hit no matter where her numbers originally were, lol

I strongly recommend NOT doing this at smaller lives. Maybe it's okay at larger shows or certain smaller/medium-sized bands oneman shows, but that is called 割り込み (warikomi) and it's against vk live etiquette. You WILL get shat on for doing that. At indie vk lives, where you choose to stand is your spot and you shouldn't try to take someone else's spot when they got there before you. If you go up for gyakudai return to your spot after it's finished.

Have a bad ticket but want to get closer?

- If you're going to a multi-band event and only want to watch a band or two up front, talk to the people in the second, third and fourth rows. They might not want to see the same band/s as you and will happy let you switch with them. Be polite and be sure to thank them when they come back to take their spots.

- See a spot towards the front that looks empty? Sometimes it isn't (maybe they went to the bathroom and someone is watching their spot for them) but sometimes it really is unoccupied. Ask the people near the spot if it's open before taking it.

Ah, yes I was thinking about one-man shows so I should go back and edit that. When the band calls for people to move up/dive there are always people who will move out of the way or create "holes" toward the front, and those spots are definitely up for the taking, and usually aren't given back after the move/dive songs. But yes, bumping someone out of a spot, squeezing people to move over to accommodate you, or taking someone's spot while they're in the bathroom or getting a drink (if they've got a bag or friend holding their place) is definitely a no-no and will make you unpopular pretty fast. For taibans, definitely the rotation system is best like you mentioned. :) For small shows, yeah, I would assume you're probably gonna be wherever you end up at the beginning for most of the show.

Edited by jaymee

On 4/29/2018 at 2:00 PM, Yuuya Miyagi said:

i am short

Well, bandman don't really give that much attention... often they even stay away from any fan while they are performing.  

If they know you, they might give you a smile or a little greeting. But they give less fan service while they are on stage.  (due jealousy)

11 hours ago, evenor said:

Any recommended shopping service to buy tickets overseas? I am hoping to get tickets for the upcoming MIRAGE&Matina anniversary show in Oct.

https://www.facebook.com/visualjrockcom

They are always happy to help! Used their service a lot already and I can really recommend them :)

On 5/24/2018 at 12:01 AM, Duwang said:

I strongly recommend NOT doing this at smaller lives. Maybe it's okay at larger shows or certain smaller/medium-sized bands oneman shows, but that is called 割り込み (warikomi) and it's against vk live etiquette. You WILL get shat on for doing that. At indie vk lives, where you choose to stand is your spot and you shouldn't try to take someone else's spot when they got there before you. If you go up for gyakudai return to your spot after it's finished.

Have a bad ticket but want to get closer?

- If you're going to a multi-band event and only want to watch a band or two up front, talk to the people in the second, third and fourth rows. They might not want to see the same band/s as you and will happy let you switch with them. Be polite and be sure to thank them when they come back to take their spots.

- See a spot towards the front that looks empty? Sometimes it isn't (maybe they went to the bathroom and someone is watching their spot for them) but sometimes it really is unoccupied. Ask the people near the spot if it's open before taking it.

True story ! I know someone who does that all the damn time. At first, my innocent ass thought she goes out of her way to trade tickets to get in the front, but one day, we entered the venue around the same time and when the concert started she literally pushed her way to the front.

At first I thought owell, people are like that, no big deal. But they remember your face after you do that, especially if you're a regular. She's an old lady who likes to low-key stalk them and buy them expensive presents.

I'm not the type to be bothered by things like that, I would still talk with her.

But one time, while I was queuing with another group of friends, the topic of rude fans came in our conversation. And I remember them whispering to me how much they despise this lady for being so rude XD.

On a side note, one time I was pulled by a friend to go with her a little bit in the front (basically a little bit past the middle of the venue where I was sitting), and the venue had those bars that would divide the crowd. Nobody was too eager to go too much in the front, but I did feel a little exposed at that time XD (me being this tall blonde European with Japanese friends around XD).

I don't recommend being so adventurous because people in general can be mean, regardless of where you are :). But if you have luck and nobody sees you, we ain't gonna snitch on you ;).

I should had read this before my trip to Japan, especially hack #2 and #10 (My friend and I had to leave BUCK-TICK and THE ORAL CIGARETTES' lives earlier to reach the last shinkansen on time because we couldn't find a good alternative to stay...), but anyway, thank you for all the amazing information! And thank you for the alternative for TicketCamp.

I just wanted to share some things regarding the comments I read. I went to some kind of "big venues" (medium at least) and they didn't check my bag before entering. I went to Makuhari Messe Event Hall and they didn't check our bags to the point that one friend had all the candies we gave her a few hours ago in her bag and I had a bottle of water that I forgot to left in the cloak. It also happened at Zepp Tokyo and Zepp Nagoya. The only venue in which the staff were checking bags was the Honda no mori Hall (in Kanazawa), but it was because they were checking if someone has a camera (it was B-T's live), but it was the only case in the 6 shows I attended.

Also, before going to Japan, some friends told me that Japanese fans are so rude and mean (in general). One friend specifically told me to be careful with VAMPS fangirls. I was somehow scared because I had the unpleasant experience of seeing some of that crazy fans that follow the band around the world being so rude and agressive to be on the first rows in my country (and here we are rude at lives! lol) and I attended to VAMPS' Halloween event waiting the worst. But... they were the nicest ones. Also I saw MUCC twice during my visit and one of the gya recognized me (it wasn't that difficult actually, lol) in the second live I went and she smile at me and said "hello" before going into mosh with me. Weird and nice, I somehow felt like home. I think the only thing I hated were those damn crowd-surfers.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:23 AM, Apesanteur said:

Sorry that this isn't advice, but does anyone know if a foreign student ID can be used for student pricing on concert tickets? 

While I can't say this is definitely the case now, when I was a university student (over a decade ago💦) it had to be a Japanese-issued student ID to receive student discounts.

2 hours ago, jaymee said:

While I can't say this is definitely the case now, when I was a university student (over a decade ago💦) it had to be a Japanese-issued student ID to receive student discounts.

Do VK bands even offer student discounts?

Btw, does any of you include their cpntact details in a fan letter? I have never done that personally, but i was wondering if it is common practice?

I think the bandmen know their usual fans from twitter already! So there is no need for it anyway.