crucifiction

Going to Japan + recommendations of events

Well, the time has come and I'm going to visit Japan in a few weeks (12 October 2017 - 26 October 2017). As I don't follow the scene that much since a while, I'd be thankful for any recommendations of visual kei events in Tokyo area (12 October 2017  - 17 October 2017) and Osaka (18 October 2017  - 26 October 2017).

I've already got the tickets for:

15 October 2017:

グリ―ヴァ / シビレバシル / CLØWD / GreeΣ / SAVAGE / REIGN at 渋谷REX

17 October 2017:

La'veil MizeriA / ジグラット / UNDER FALL JUSTICE / THE VELVET / Lament. / glamscure / THE NOSTRADAMNZ at 高田馬場AREA

Stuff I'm mostly interested in - bands that try to revive the 'oldschool sound' (Crucifixion, for instance... even though I know that they're playing the day after my departure from Japan... this is what I call bad luck) but Nocturnal Bloodlust or DADAROMA would do as well :P

Thanks a lot!

Edited by man_of_the_oak

I don't have recommendations for events (I was quite clueless when I went to Tokyo myself, but then again my best friend and travel companion is not a VK fan, so going to many concerts wasn't really an option, but that's okay), but I can recommend some VK stores.

There are a couple only a 5-10 minute walk from Shinjuku main station (I think on the west side), and they sell all kinds of stuff, from merch to second hand CDs and DVDs (it's sooo cheap there!).

1) Puresound

2) Closet Men Child

3) That other store in front of Puresound...don't remember its name. They often hold autograph sessions (mostly on Sundays), so you should probably check that out.

These stores are basically all next to each other. So if you find one, just walk down the street/ go around the corner, and you'll find the other ones as well. You can also get information on VK concerts/events there (they have some flyers lying round, and I'm sure the store clerk would also help you out.)

Enjoy your stay :)

Edit: If you enjoy VK fashion (or just fashion in general), you should definitely check out Harajuku....but I guess you already knew that ;)

Edited by AwesomeNyappy

Make sure to try the Book-Offs that are literally everywhere, for second-hand stuff. Especially the Shibuya ones. 

Also, check out Disk Heaven, for the harder stuff!

That's awesome, OP!  Pretty much any VK event going on during that time will be listed here:

http://www.visunavi.com/live/2017/10/

Just click the calendar for what date(s) you're looking for. Events all over Japan are listed, although a good majority of them will probably be in Tokyo or Osaka.

Re: CDs, vinyl, etc. which others have brought up... Almost everything will be cheaper if you order it used off of Amazon.jp and have it mailed to you (your hotel or a nearest convenience store) unless it is super rare. A ton of used/good condition old VK singles, especially for major bands, sell for like 1 yen. As a bonus, you don't have to waste your time/energy scouring a bunch of stores (just to likely pay more) and have to carry everything you buy with you while you sightsee. If you're into vinyl or rarer releases, and not just limited to VK, Disc Union stores are popular. As others mentioned, Shinjuku has little shops specializing in VK/j-rock like Disc Heaven, Puresound, and Like an Edison (Likea), or Brand X in Ikebukuro. These stores often hold events like handshakes, signings, etc. or give nice extras for new releases.

If you're the type that's into just wandering into random lives, Shimo-kitazawa (kind of like the grown-up version of Harajuku) has a thriving music scene, or you could always check out the music dives in Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc. I would honestly avoid the super touristy vibe of Harajuku unless you plan on crossing over Meiji Dori and exploring the back alleys. The "real" VK culture/street fashion culture is long dead there unless you are into younger street fashion, but there are still some art and relics of the scene left in those back alleys where touristy and fast fashion shops have yet to touch. Lolita/goth and otaku are somewhat intersecting subcultures now, so as far as people watching, you're just as/more likely to find them in Ikebukuro, Akihabara, etc. now. If you're into VK/goth-style fashion, ignore the stores along Takeshita St. (maybe with exception to Closet Child) and go to La Foret, or the brand/boutique/second-hand select shops located along the back alleys previously mentioned.

I'm not sure if it's still around, but Kenzi (THE DEAD P☆P STARS, ex-Kamaitachi) has (had?) at VK-themed bar called Star Cafe in Kabuki-cho. Also in Kabuki-cho you'll find BAR ZIN and Diablo, which are also VK-themed bars. They're kind of in the general vicinity of the live house Shinjuku Blaze.

6 hours ago, jaymee said:

I would honestly avoid the super touristy vibe of Harajuku unless you plan on crossing over Meiji Dori and exploring the back alleys. The "real" VK culture/street fashion culture is long dead there unless you are into younger street fashion, but there are still some art and relics of the scene left in those back alleys where touristy and fast fashion shops have yet to touch. Lolita/goth and otaku are somewhat intersecting subcultures now, so as far as people watching, you're just as/more likely to find them in Ikebukuro, Akihabara, etc. now. If you're into VK/goth-style fashion, ignore the stores along Takeshita St. (maybe with exception to Closet Child) and go to La Foret, or the brand/boutique/second-hand select shops located along the back alleys previously mentioned.

I second that! You really need to explore the side streets in Harajuku to really find the good suff. They have some great second hand shops there.

And since you mentioned Goth as well...I saw a Goth bar somewhere in Roppongi.

Always walk away from the tourist/ the noise and explore the area, and you'll discover some great shops.

Big thanks to all of you! I had a lot of fun there and now that I'm back, I thought of sharing a few "tips" myself.

When it comes to browsing online for VK events - the best source of information these days is http://visual.eplus.jp

I have to agree on BOOKOFFs - there are plenty of those and with a little bit of luck you might find great deals there and even some rare stuff.

I'm not really into VK fashion, so I mainly focused on record hunt at puresound, Closet Child, Like an Edison, Disk Union, etc. - keep in mind though that the 2nd one is not exactly on the main street.

Worth mentioning - if you plan on visiting both Tokyo and Osaka, like I did, be aware of the fact that the main puresound's branch is in Tokyo, not Osaka. Their website got me fooled into thinking the exact opposite, since they ship all online orders from Osaka.