The Piass

the GazettE new album, "NINTH" release

2 songs in and I'm already hating this album. 

This is the same thing that happened after DIM came out. Great album and then the follow up was average compared to it. 

3rd track is the best of the bunch, but that doesn't mean it's great...

conceptually so it sounds really all over the place, uh?

starting to think it would work better as some kind of consecutive singles or something

I can’t believe that in 2018 the GazettE have developed into better songwriters than Dir en grey (Kaoru). I won’t know for sure until the next Deg album, but I’ve enjoyed the last three GazettE tracks on NINTH more than I have Utafumi or Ningen o kaburu — by a long shot. 

GazettE are still rehashing that “GazettE sound” and I don’t think they’re doing anything revolutionary; but there’s more there. Think of how bland the structure of Sustain the Untruth, Utafumi, and Ningen o kaburu are in relation to Undying, Falling, and Uragiru Shita. 

I’d hate to judge without knowing what Dir en grey has in store for us, but one thing is certain: and that’s the fact as of right now, I find GazettE’s music far more appealing than the recent weak efforts by Dir en grey and find this latest track somewhat encouraging. 

Just an observation. 

Playing this on loop here and unfortunately I can't deny that I'm feeling like i already heard that before.Sounds like a mix of VERMIN with REQUIRED MALFUNCTION. Let's see how it works playing the full length.there need to be something surprising on this album,please... 

Edited by Manji 卍

DEG and Gazette are both rehashing old shit at this point, so I don’t even have a comment about who’s writing better songs. Gazette trounces DEG when it comes to production, that’s for sure. 

Vocally, Ruki is more consistent than Kyo in terms of performance, but holy fuck is he getting stale with his melodies and phrasing. Ruki is the reason why so many Gazette songs over the last 8 years sound the same to me. 

7 hours ago, Manji 卍 said:

Playing this on loop here and unfortunately I can't deny that I'm feeling like i already heard that before.Sounds like a mix of VERMIN with REQUIRED MALFUNCTION. Let's see how it works playing the full length.there need to be something surprising on this album,please... 

Agreed. But sometimes the chaotic sound and ruki's vocal remind me of their indie era.

0:01 - required malfunction

0:22 - crucify sorrow

1:02 - vermin

1:30 - wife/kantou dogeza kumiai

2:02 - burial applicant

3:10 - dawn/ugly

Edited by naimfebruary9

it was kind of very obvious by the first EDM teasers that the bar for this album is not set really high tbh;

with that in mind I like this track but I won't listen to it a lot, it's just cookie cutter new gazette, could've been a b-side if falling was a lead single.

The standard Gazette sound was what hooked me into V-Kei awhile back (became a fan during NIL era). I have no problem with an album that is full of thing that pulled me into Gazette. I don't need them to always try to do something different. I'm ok with them giving the standard Gazette goodness. I hope they do a world tour again and hopefully this time the meet and greet won't just be a hand shake. lol AND BY THAT I MEAN AUTOGRAPH OR PHOTO YOU PERVS XD

Where does Ugly fit into all of this by way? Is it a leftover from Dogma? A transition song? A leftover from Ninth? I feel bummed out that it's discarded by wayside despite being a great song. The same happened with Before I Decay I think? 

it's a planned post-album single for the dogma cycle, same as undying; b-sides for those two are giving me strong dogma leftover teas though.

I don't think it's going anywhere considering it's one of their best singles in a long time tbh.

Speaking of Undying, I was just listening to Vacant and there’s a point before the chorus where it sounds like Ruki wants to start singing Dim Scene, then stops himself. 

And this is what’s so disappointing about this band lately. I don’t want them to necessarily try anything new, I just want better songwriting. I don’t literally want another Dim, I want another album with strong and varied compositions. I wish I hadn’t heard here three tracks from Ninth, because I’m bored already.