JukaForever

Going to concerts, what to do with the goodies?

I'm gonna be seeing Versailles in Toronto in like a couple months and it looks like the venue they chose is a floor standing type venue. I've only been in concerts with actual seats so I wasn't too close to other people and I can bring bags with me to stuff all the goodies that are purchasable before the concert begins. With this venue though, I am not sure what to bring. From the ticket information, it looks like I will definitely be getting goodies so it looks like I will need a bag of some sort but I am kinda worried about getting squished. So i'm just wondering what do you regular concert goers typically bring with you (if anything at all) in these type of situations?

On a side note: yes I am pumped, it has been 8 years of stanning Versailles and they are finally within distance to see even though I still have to take a plane across the country. So yeah I am defo gonna grab whatever they got on hand ... even HIzaki if he has price tag on him ... or actually just as long as he is an arms length away.

At almost all of the concerts I've been to outside of Japan, the merch table was (only) open after the concert, so I'd always just snag what I want on the way out and not worry about where to store it safely during the concert.

Like panda said, usually the merch table is open after the gig.

But, in case it isn't I'd recommend using a cloakroom so you can jump around in peace after buying stuff. If they don't have that then it gets tricky since you have to think about what kind of bag will let you jump around, but also not hit other people in the face.

I'd recommend a bag you can just hang on your shoulder.  

The gigs I have been to outside of Jp you can buy the merch first, and then lock them in with your jacket/bag. But it depends on the venue I guess. 

In my younger days I often wore a backpack to concerts in Oslo, because I went to records shops before the gigs and always bought something at the gig. I've never had a single problem with it, nor my brother or any of my friends.

When going to outdoors festivals I've always used to wear a backpack with clothes and such too. Never been a problem.

For most gigs in Norway there's also a possiblity of buying merch before the gigs, unless the band stands in the merch stand themself. THen it's after the gig.

Thanks for the responses, I will ask the venue about the lockers first before choosing which which bag to bring with me.

3 hours ago, Bear said:

.... there's also a possiblity of buying merch before the gigs, unless the band stands in the merch stand themself. THen it's after the gig.

The thought of the Versailles members selling me stuff in person is hilarious for some reason ... especially if they are gonna stand on the merch stand lol

I usually just wear/buy a tote bag for merch, but I'm rarely jumping or moshing etc. at concerts.

I guess I forgot to mention that my answer was very America-centric, because most, if not all, venues here won't even let you enter the venue with a bag, so you wouldn't even be able to coat check one. No idea if Cananda is that paranoid though.

You're no longer allowed to bring in any bags bigger than the size of an A4 paper sheet in most of the larger Dutch venues here, with regard to the terrorist scares. If you have the same thing going on over there in Canada (presumably not, but still), I simply suggest a tote-bag or a small handbag you can keep on your shoulder. Those are usually the most comfortable for size and carrying too. Either way, I've been caught up in moshpits often enough with merchandise already on me and nothing ever got squished, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I strongly recommend using the cloak room or a coin locker, whatever the venue has. (Unless you intend to stand in the very back of the venue) I’ve been to a lot of Versailles concerts and they almost always ended up really crowded in the front and middle areas. It’s hard to predict how it will be in Toronto since it’s their first time there, plus we’re all 5 years older now so a lot of fans are likely to be less energetic/crazy than before the hiatus. But it used to be that we would routinely be absolutely crushed in the crowd, dripping in sweat, walking out with injuries. And Versailles themselves are going to be encouraging the crowd to squeeze forward and get rowdy, and throwing out picks and drumsticks which always turns that part of the audience into a shark feeding frenzy. 

So just in case, I recommend putting everything you can into the cloak room, and taking no more into the audience than a tiny, sturdy bag with the essentials.  (cross-body or waist, so your hands are free)

To people who aren’t attending this concert: The VIP tickets come with some kind of merch set. I have a feeling we're not going to be able to choose when we get it, we'll just have to take it when it's given.

Wait wait wait, they're going to Toronto? When?? Are tickets still available? I've been trying to find an excuse to fly there and was hoping a band or something would come (problems of being a Maritimer). Dang I'm really new still to buying concert tickets just because I live in the middle of nowhere.

Which venue are they playing at? I'll go try and find it online. When I saw ONE OK ROCK in Toronto I think the merchandise table was open both before and after. I just kept my stuff in my tote bag. I didn't buy my stuff right away, I was already in the venue and my ex went and picked up what I wanted while I found a spot. But I'm also like the calmest concert goer ever so I just kinda stand there and do my own thing and for some reason have always gotten lucky with those around me. Use a locker or the cloak room if they're available though like people suggest. 

I also don't what to expect in terms of crowd rowdiness. The only other Japanese band concert I went to was for X Japan in Vancouver and everybody pretty much behaved like people you see at live concerts in Japan, chill for the most part and rock hard when it is time to